My health seems very low?

63 Human Paladin
I dont kno if this right but i seem to have very low health for a lvl 27 ret paladin. Whenever i do dungeons such as the stormwind stockade or pvp i see level 19 and 20 priests and mages with way more health than me. Am i doing somethin wrong.
Reply Quote
20 Orc Warlock
You have some gear with intellect, which is terrible for a ret pally( read holy only)
Those are probally twinks(like me), who limit there level , and grind for the best gear at said level, average for them is 1.2K health, you are wearing a lot of greens ,Running random dungeons will get you blues with far more hp, and strength. Also the darkmoon fair can let you buy BoA's like Polished Breastplate of Valor, that changes stats, more for each level you gain. you can also buy some, if your in a level 20? gild, and honored? with your guild for 300G ?.
Edited by Archeionn on 5/7/2012 5:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
You also want to steer well away from cloth gear, and replace those cloth items with mail as soon as possible.

Many of the toons with high HP will be wearing heirlooms.

05/07/2012 05:02 AMPosted by Archeionn
Those are probally twinks(like me)

A warlock twink with strength gear and 7 empty slots?
Perhaps your version of the word "twink" is slightly different to the meaning of "twink" amongst the greater population.
Reply Quote
20 Orc Warlock
You also want to steer well away from cloth gear, and replace those cloth items with mail as soon as possible.

Many of the toons with high HP will be wearing heirlooms.

Those are probally twinks(like me)

A warlock twink with strength gear and 7 empty slots?
Perhaps your version of the word "twink" is slightly different to the meaning of "twink" amongst the greater population.

Thank you for noticing that( i missed it), and this is a very new toon, made it about a week ago, no BoA, enchants, etc
Reply Quote
20 Tauren Druid
05/07/2012 04:52 AMPosted by Emadness
Am i doing somethin wrong.

Nah you're just leveling. Your health is low because you've outgrown your gear, most of it is pretty old and you're missing 2 slots (4 if you count trinks).

If you want to find better gear I suggest doing a wowhead item search like this one:
http://www.wowhead.com/items?filter=minrl=20;maxrl=28;si=1;ub=2;cr=22:20;crs=1:1;crv=0:0;eb=1

Set to your level (20-28, to give you a little room) faction, class, and spec stats (strength + stam ).

Clicking on any item on the list that catches your fancy will lead to instructions on how to get it, and you can also narrow it down by slot (to find that neck item you're missing, say). Then you can find a quest or dungeon which will reward what you need.
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
05/07/2012 06:18 AMPosted by Tkatii
Your health is low because you've outgrown your gear, most of it is pretty old and you're missing 2 slots (4 if you count trinks).

Don't bother counting the trinkets, without heirlooms, pvp or professions, there are no trinkets available at 27
Reply Quote
63 Human Paladin
so how do i go bout gettin better gear. i got most of my stuff from dungeons and the quests arent rewardin me with anythin better. but due to my health i cant even finish the stromwind stockade now
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Hunter
05/07/2012 07:08 AMPosted by Emadness
so how do i go bout gettin better gear. i got most of my stuff from dungeons and the quests arent rewardin me with anythin better. but due to my health i cant even finish the stromwind stockade now

You should be easily finishing the stockade with a good healer, and tank., or are you trying to solo it?, and check the Heroes call board for newer quest chains
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Quests, instances, and drops are how you should be upgrading gear.

i got most of my stuff from dungeons and the quests arent rewardin me with anythin better.

Instance gear has better stats than questing gear. Give it time, and you'll find some upgrades from questing.

but due to my health i cant even finish the stromwind stockade now

Are you trying to solo Stormwind Stockade, or are you trying to finish it with a party?
Reply Quote
63 Human Paladin
im doin it thru the dungeon finder and i finding myself dyin quite a bit
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Hunter
05/07/2012 07:19 AMPosted by Emadness

Can you describe what you are doing exactly in it?? EG, tanking, trying to help heal ppl, dpsing tank target, pulling adds?
This will help with a diagnosis of your problem.
It is normal to die a few times in the dungeon finder.
Edited by Thiondiirn on 5/7/2012 7:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
05/07/2012 07:19 AMPosted by Emadness

You generally shouldn't even be getting hit. It's the tank's job to take the hits for the group. Your job as a DPS is to hit what the tank hits after he's established aggro on it, so that it doesn't turn around and start eating you instead.

In case you're queueing as a tank, that's the problem; Retribution is a DPS spec, not a tanking spec. You'll either need to stick to DPSing if you want to stay Ret, or switch to Protection and pick up a shield and one-handed weapon.

How are you doing things when you're in a dungeon group? How are you deciding what to attack, when to attack it, etc.?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
You have some gear with intellect, which is terrible for a ret pally( read holy only)
Those are probally twinks(like me), who limit there level , and grind for the best gear at said level, average for them is 1.2K health, you are wearing a lot of greens ,Running random dungeons will get you blues with far more hp, and strength. Also the darkmoon fair can let you buy BoA's like Polished Breastplate of Valor, that changes stats, more for each level you gain. you can also buy some, if your in a level 20? gild, and honored? with your guild for 300G ?.

Buying Battle net account gear is not twinking, you are very bad if you think so,
Reply Quote
20 Orc Warlock

Buying Battle net account gear is not twinking, you are very bad if you think so,

I know that, at my level, BoA's are generally BiS, i was suggesting to OP, that he might end up with enough DMF tokens to buy one, they can generally have a bit more stam/ usefull stats until higher levels , and i am a bit new to twinkng, but still learning.
Edited by Archeionn on 5/7/2012 8:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
If you're attempting to gear up via the dungeon finder, you'll always be quite a bit behind with gear, and you're relying solely on luck.
...hoping the items you want will drop.
...hoping you win the roll on the items you want.

It's generally best to queue up for dungeons, and quest while you wait.

Quest in level appropriate zones.
This will mean leaving many zones before you've finished them, so you can move on to the next zone.
Staying in zones just to complete them isn't worth it if your intention is to level and gear up.
If you're in doubt about where to quest, check the boards in major cities when you level up, and they'll tell you where to go to quest.

.and if you try to level in battlegrounds, you'll find you die a LOT without level appropriate gear.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
05/07/2012 07:53 AMPosted by Mephestto

Except that heirlooms are BiS for both Level 20 and Level 24 twinks, and since that's the focus of this discussion, you're incorrect (and your attitude is completely unnecessary to boot).
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
You can gear up in the dungeon finder fine. There are a few things which should help you though.

First, your health is going to be consistently lower in comparison to other players because you are not using BoA gear. Imagining that you do not have a level 85 character to farm the heirloom gear, that's fine, you don't need BoA gear to level. You just have to understand that when you see healers and tanks with more health than you, it's likely that they're using heirloom items which scale with their level, and typically have significantly higher stats than items they'd receive while questing, and marginally higher stats than items they'd receive in dungeons.

Secondly, until you reach level 40, you want to focus on mail items where you can find them. After level 40, you'll want to focus on acquiring plate items. Playing a ret paladin you want items with strength on them. But, unless you're planning to tank, avoid items with dodge and parry as those are tanking items. Unless you are playing a healer, you want to entirely avoid items with intellect and spirit on them. The go-to primary stat for a ret paladin is strength.

Beyond reviewing your character screen in-game, a good way to check which stats you want is to peek at your character's armory panel. Your personal armory panel is found here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/amanthul/Emadness/advanced

You'll note that underneath your character you can see the "core stats" for your class. If you hover over each one it will show what that stat does for you. Also, if you click the "show all stats" line below the core stats, it will expand to show you what other stats will do for you. As you can see, unless you're casting spells, intellect does nothing for ret paladins.

Assessing your current gear, you'll want to replace these items immediately:

- Cloth shoulders: They're cloth and they're an intellect item. While it gives you something in that slot, the item is of no benefit to you.

- Cloth belt: The reasoning here is the same as the shoulders.

- Mail pants: While the item is mail, the intellect makes it a it is a mail caster item (for holy paladins). Again the stats are of no benefit to you.

That said, while your gear needs some work, with a tank and healer, there is no reason you should be dying in dungeons. The problem may be something more simplistic which you can easily fix yourself by being a bit more observant of what's going on. Some tricks you may want to consider.

Let the tank make the pulls. This means, don't attack anything until the tank does first. Running ahead and trying to bonsai into groups (or nabbing the next group before the tank has reached it) may lead to your health dropping to fast for a healer to manage. Alternatively, some healers find it annoying and may just let you die for doing it.

To ensure that the tank has attacked mobs: for warriors you're going to want to wait until they thunderclap (it has a shocking effect and because of that is easy to see). For paladin tanks wait until they use consecrate (it puts a yellow "powdery" circle on the ground which makes it easy to spot) or until they have used an ability or two. With druids, their threat management is a bit tricky until they get a few aoe abilities, try attacking the same monster as the tank.

If you're having troubles with this, turn on your target-of-target pane in the user interface, target the tank, and then target what he is. You can also do this by setting up assist-forwarding (where you never have to target anything but the tank, though that takes more explanation and work). Alternatively, just wait a few seconds for the tank to get aggro and then attack.

Be observant of where your group is. You want to stay with the group the entire time. Don't try to rush ahead or go a different direction. While some people can get away with doing this, it's likely they have the BoA gear which makes soloing certain content much easier. It's also inconsiderate when they do so. Don't be "that guy."

Lastly, and something I've seen paladins often forget (though which is usually quickly remedied with a friendly reminder):

If you have righteous fury turned on, make sure the second you enter a dungeon you turn it off. Also, of equal importance, while dungeoning never use Hand of Reckoning. If you think you might be using it, take it off your bars when you enter a dungeon to ensure you're not clicking it.

Anyway, I'm not sure if any of these things are happening during your runs, but if they are, then they may be why you find yourself dying so often. They're all easy to fix and can make a world of difference in your personal survivability.
Edited by Pernickety on 5/7/2012 10:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Of additional help to you might be to first target the tank when you enter the dungeon, and then set focus to the tank (if you right click on the target frame once the tank is your target, it will bring up a small menu, one item of which is "set focus")

Leave the tank set to the focus for the rest of the run, and then you can see what he is targeting via the focus frame, and then hit that (from behind, whenever possible.)

It's also possible to set a macro that will set your target to your focuses target, which will eliminate confusion if there is more than one of (whatever) that he could be targeting, because you'd literally be targeting the same one as he is whenever you used the macro.

<S>
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
05/07/2012 12:37 PMPosted by Sylth
It's also possible to set a macro that will set your target to your focuses target, which will eliminate confusion if there is more than one of (whatever) that he could be targeting, because you'd literally be targeting the same one as he is whenever you used the macro.

/assist focus
Reply Quote
20 Tauren Druid

Way to completely ignore what I posted. I did the item search for you and everything.

If you want to find better gear I suggest doing a wowhead item search like this one:
http://www.wowhead.com/items?filter=minrl=20;maxrl=28;si=1;ub=2;cr=22:20;crs=1:1;crv=0:0;eb=1

Set to your level (20-28, to give you a little room) faction, class, and spec stats (strength + stam ).

Clicking on any item on the list that catches your fancy will lead to instructions on how to get it, and you can also narrow it down by slot (to find that neck item you're missing, say). Then you can find a quest or dungeon which will reward what you need.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]