Are private servers illegal?

(Locked)

90 Human Warrior
Hey my friends have been playing this private server that allows you to play Classic WoW and The Burning Crusade, and I was telling them that "Dude I think that's illegal".

But they just keep playing it and I wanna know if it's illegal so I know if I should talk them out of it or if it's not, and just let them enjoy themselves... please respond.... here's a link to the site
Edited by Zokkomo on 5/8/2012 12:38 PM PDT
90 Human Warlock
05/08/2012 12:28 PMPosted by Zokkomo
private server

Private servers are indeed illegal.
85 Night Elf Hunter
Get rid of that link; it's not a good idea to give links to illegal sites.

And yes, private servers are illegal because it's play time Blizz isn't getting paid for.
85 Blood Elf Priest
If it's a wow server, and not run by blizzard (or someone blizzard licensed to run servers, as is the case in china for example), it's not permitted.
Edited by Mescyntoo on 5/8/2012 12:35 PM PDT
95 Undead Rogue
The "private" servers are violating copyright and other laws dealing with intelletual property. They are "pirate" sites and anyone using them is technically an "accessory" to that piracy. It's best to just stay away altogether.
90 Human Warrior
K didn't exactly ask for all the attitude just an answer Jesus Christ you guys just think i'm retarded sorry for asking questions? They've been playing for years and I was just wondering if they'll ever get caught?
59 Tauren Death Knight
05/08/2012 12:34 PMPosted by Zokkomo
K didn't exactly ask for all the attitude

welcome to the forums
100 Tauren Druid
I'd suggest you remove the name of the server from your post as well.

There's a "Hacks" email that blizzard has that you can mail with the name of the server and any relevant details if you're so inclined.
85 Blood Elf Priest
K didn't exactly ask for all the attitude just an answer

It's a value-added service offered to you at no additional cost by general. You're welcome.

It's somewhat interesting that blizzard never pursued the wow servers like they did bnetd, though. At least, not nearly as aggressively.
Edited by Mescyntoo on 5/8/2012 12:38 PM PDT
85 Orc Warrior
One
K didn't exactly ask for all the attitude just an answer Jesus Christ you guys just think i'm retarded sorry for asking questions? They've been playing for years and I was just wondering if they'll ever get caught?

Why so serious?
85 Dwarf Mage
They've been playing for years and I was just wondering if they'll ever get caught?

Who knows what will happen if the players get caught but the people who run the servers have been sued in the past.
85 Orc Warrior
One
05/08/2012 12:35 PMPosted by Naughtybone
Yeah its totally illegal the OP is screwed now the FBI will be there shortly

Give up the names of your buddies now or you can face the same penalties .
90 Human Warrior
And if Blizzard is aware of this, why aren't they terminated? How is a priv server running for years? Blizzard obv does not care...
86 Dwarf Hunter
I believe that Warden also looks for evidence of connecting to private servers. If Blizzard finds out about it, their accounts will be banned if they ever reconnect with real Blizzard servers.
90 Night Elf Warrior
If my understanding is correct, it is illegal to run and operate a private server (because you are stealing Blizzard's 'intellectual property' and making your own profits off of it) but it's not illegal to play on one. So your friends are 'safe' but the server could get shut down really at any time, and the operators of it are at risk.
86 Dwarf Hunter
05/08/2012 12:39 PMPosted by Zokkomo
And if Blizzard is aware of this, why aren't they terminated? How is a priv server running for years? Blizzard obv does not care...

An $88 million dollar judgement against someone who was running private servers would indicate that you are wrong about that.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]