Resto druid not viable in DS?

85 Worgen Druid
Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I work my !@# off on heals. I read up on the class, theory craft for decent throughput, and I can just barely pull what I used to pull in regards to overall percentages in relation to other healing classes such as priests or pally.

I have the overall rhythms of every single fight down to memory so I am always ahead of the healing curve as well as the most comfortable spec I could find with as much throughput as I can.

With my current set up I am spamming nonstop with good throughput and good mana regen but it still feels like I am healing with a scrub toon not viable for DS...priests outheal me that I know for a fact don't know the fights as well. Makes me mad.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Glyphs - Get rid of regrowth and replace with lifebloom. Try not to use glyph of WG unless you do 25m. (The extra WG is normally not needed and will be put on a pet or someone who is full health.)

Reforge is messed up, you have in and out of haste / mastery. You have ALOT of spirit with Tsunami and HoU. If anything, you could reforge out of spirit and into mastery.

As for healing, disc priests "steal" heals with absorbs, especially from druids and more seeing as how there is a 20% dmg debuff.

Make sure to use swiftmend ON CD when stacked.

Lifebloom up time as much as possible.

Try and predict damage with tree form, life blooming some of the raid right before dmg comes out is quite effective. Swiftmend in tree form is a must.

Also, try leveling professions, they help.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
In your talent tree, get rid of "Perseverance" and put one of those points into "Blessing of the Grove."

I try to get 2 or 3 points into "Living Seed" to make my tank healing a little more effective. I do not pick up "Naturalist" as I do not find myself casting healing touch or noursh really. I keep
95% up time on Lifebloom, normally my casting procs are enough to keep my mastery up and going. Plus with a point into living seed and regrowth it is always helpful with tank healing as I said before.

3 Points into Genesis is always helpful.

One thing I am confused about, is whether Furor or Moonglow is better.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Agh, yeah I had a new spec in place wasn't using it in raid. My spec is all cleaned up right now, and I was just min/maxing spirit to see what was comfortable in a practice setting...okay should be good to go now.

My only issue is making sure to keep that mastery buff up at all times - I have probably 75-80% uptime which bugs me.

Since I raid in 10 mans, I decided to opt out of Nature's swiftness and put keep one in Nature's Cure because it seems I am more often than not top on despells.
Edited by Coozeblast on 5/8/2012 2:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Well, everytime I get a proc, I immediately cast regrowth. In between procs I use swiftmend. And other times I can just use regrowth to proc it. Not to mention if you have living seed and at least one point into crit for regrowth it makes it less of a "waste" I reckon. I have had good results on it with my druid.

Now I only do normal DS on him, but with everything I have told you I see good results.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Spec looks good,

Glyphs, if you are doing 10m I strongly suggest you to get rid of glyph of WG. Technically, according to the math it is an HPS loss overall. 25m, by all means.

Only thing I see that is wrong is your reforge. What you need to do is reset everything and re-evaluate on what you want.

What I would do if I were you, reset it all.

Then anything that has "haste" on it, I would reforge OUT of spirit and put into "mastery"

Anything with "mastery" on it, reforge out of spirit and put into "haste"

Do this with caution though, you want to aim for a comfortable spot with your spirit, your heals are not !@#$ without mana!
Reply Quote
Druids are like Disc priests when it comes to mana regen. Once you pass the 120k ish mark on mana, almost all your regen comes from Revitalize.

Passing on Natures Cure makes me cry a little on the inside.

I hurd u liek reforge
Head : Spirit -> MasteryRating
Neck : Spirit -> MasteryRating
Shoulders : Spirit -> HasteRating
Chest : Spirit -> MasteryRating
Waist : Spirit -> MasteryRating
Legs : Spirit -> HasteRating
Feet : HasteRating -> MasteryRating
Wrists : Spirit -> HasteRating
Hands : Spirit -> HasteRating
Ring1 : HasteRating -> MasteryRating
Back : Spirit -> MasteryRating
OffHand : Spirit -> MasteryRating
Ranged : Spirit -> HasteRating
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
As others pointed out, Glyph of Wild Growth is not great for most 10-man fights. There really isn't any other glyph that's great for PvE however.

If your throughput is low, check your mastery buff uptime. Record combat log and check for Harmony uptime. You should aim for over 80% uptime, except maybe Hagara. Another thing to check is your Lifebloom uptime, which should be over 90%.

Heart of Unliving is not a great trinket, as the Intellect on the trinket is very low. It would be ideal to replace that with either Seal or heroic Jaw.

If you intend to do heroic raids, I recommend running with regen spec (i.e. remove points from Genesis and put 2 points in Furor) and not to reforge out of Spirit as it was suggested by the previous poster.
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Druid
I find my numbers entirely depend on how well I use TOL and Tranquility. If I get them off 2-3 times each a fight, I will end up on top of the meters, if I don't I wont.

On progression fights don't be afraid of spamming regrowth if you have to. If you are not innervating 2-3 times a fight and ending on zero mana then you are not healing to your maximum potential.

Swiftmend on cooldown and make sure you use it on the tank or melee. If you are doing all that and still ending up below a priest on the meters, just consider yourself lucky, you are playing with a good priest.

In the end, if you are downing bosses and no one is dying from a lack of healing, the meters don't matter.
Reply Quote
While resto druids certainly were the weak healers during progression, if you're having troubles at 20% it's probably a skill issue.
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Druid
Another tip - always cast wild growth on yourself. If you cast it on anyone else, you run the risk of having people out of range.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
05/08/2012 03:45 AMPosted by Jumal
Glyphs, if you are doing 10m I strongly suggest you to get rid of glyph of WG. Technically, according to the math it is an HPS loss overall. 25m, by all means.

First off there are 10 people in a 10 man - it doesn't mean that it will always only hit a pet and not the extra group member. Math you quote? is simulation - in game things are dynamic - changing. Show a comparison chart of 100 random heroic 10 man raids with the glyph and without and display the results here - that's scientific but even then wouldn't always give the same results.

Spirit is utterly worthless on anything not H spine and Madness. Fact is the only reasons it beats mastery there is because of direct healing spam.

n your talent tree, get rid of "Perseverance" and put one of those points into "Blessing of the Grove."

I try to get 2 or 3 points into "Living Seed" to make my tank healing a little more effective. I do not pick up "Naturalist" as I do not find myself casting healing touch or noursh really. I keep
95% up time on Lifebloom, normally my casting procs are enough to keep my mastery up and going. Plus with a point into living seed and regrowth it is always helpful with tank healing as I said before.

3 Points into Genesis is always helpful.

Perser Vs Botg - You do know the botg only effects 1 spell right? Perserv is in effect saving you 'healing' on yourself. Botg is a lousy talent but so are the other choices - being dogmatic on secondary talent choices makes little difference.

Not picking up "Naturalist" is like saying you're not putting an engine into your automobile. Sorry it's not a secondary talent - it's a required talent. Ever hear of Harmony? Sorry 'procs' are not enough to keep it up since it's every 10 seconds. Might as well not take TOL too.

3 points into Genesis? Doubtful for an under-geared player although 20% nerf makes almost anything reality. One could do it if they're an experienced healer and know how to manage their mana. Healing Zon, Warchief are best to judge one's needs.

I'll agree with the LS for 10man (2/3) at least but again it's certainly optional.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
If you outgear content, you will get slaughtered on heal meters by disc priests and holy pally with their absorb shields. It's just the way it works.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
The only fight I'd even consider using the Regrowth glyph is Heroic You'shaz because of the healing mechanic from one of the slimes (it's a way to sustain healing on someone without stacking the debuff and blowing the raid up). Even then, it's very sketchy on whether or not it'd pay off because the glyph is conditional (if someone else heals them up, you lose the benefit and can't afford to reapply).

I would suggest keeping Perserverance if you're doing heroic mode. If you're doing LFR or Normal, it's completely unnecessary and you'd be better off putting those points in even a weak throughput talent like Living Seed or Blessing of the Grove, especially now that we've got that %20 buff going.

All three of those, however, are filler talents. ONLY put points into any of them if you've already picked up all the core talents. You'll only have 3-4 of them (3 if you consider Nature's Cure a core talent, 4 if you don't), possibly a fifth if you really hate the idea of ever casting Healing Touch and chose to ignore Nature's Swiftness as well, but really -- you should take NS.

There's some bad advice in this thread about your spec. Feel free to refer to the Resto sticky at the top of this forum. The spec information there is very good and should help you considerably.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
05/08/2012 06:02 PMPosted by Swifthoof
I find my numbers entirely depend on how well I use TOL and Tranquility.

good point
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
05/09/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Tangedyn
If you outgear content, you will get slaughtered on heal meters by disc priests and holy pally with their absorb shields. It's just the way it works.

This is true, with the nerf, on top of overgearing, youll get decimated in healing by asborb effect classes. I do very very well on my druid, always top heals, but i ran one Reg DS pug, with a very good disc priest and holypal, and my healing was abysmal, while i rocked overhealing meters lol.

The key to doing well as a druid, you have to understand your direct heal tools suck hard, use efflorescense on CD (Pref where the raid is stacked), use rejuv deliberatly on people that lose health, wildgrowth on CD is there is sufficient aoe damage being taken, regrowth is great to give you 15% haste from nature's grace every min. Don't be afraid to pop tree and tranq, you have the class with the most heal CDs.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
While everyone else has already stated the most important information regarding healing in DS, there are a few things I'd like to add to it:

I know you said you haven't had any mana issues but with the imminent changes to your reforging you may encounter some. To remedy this I highly suggest swapping out two pieces of your tier-13 for the tier-12 gear so you get the two-piece bonus from both. To be frank, the tier-13 bonuses are basically garbage and not worth losing the tier-12 mana regen/2x swiftmend bonuses (unless, of course, you're decked out in mostly heroic tier-13 and the raw stats make up for this).
I'm only mentioning this because I see you're in raid finder gear, which frankly is not much better than 378s at all save for possibly a few trinkets and accessories.
^I do this myself and can highly reccommend it, I usually end up topping healing charts for both LFR and regular mode DS.

Besides that, just mind your positioning during fights. I like to cast swiftmend on myself if I'm in ranged group (if the tank isn't in any immediate danger), and you heal all your ranged together.
Edited by Wilds on 5/10/2012 9:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I'm usually the best healer in my raids sometimes barely place second on the meter behind a pally I dont raid heroic though an not to often am I with priests
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
05/08/2012 02:25 AMPosted by Jumal
In your talent tree, get rid of "Perseverance" and put one of those points into "Blessing of the Grove."

Blessing of the Grove is an awful talent. On fights like Madness or Zon'ozz where there's a lot of magic damage going on, Perseverance will actually reduce far more damage taken than extra healing gained through a point in BotG.

OP, I wish you had some logs to post. I often find that druids who struggle to do well have subpar Harmony uptime because they forget about their direct heals.
Edited by Gloostick on 5/10/2012 10:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Furor is better than Moonglow until you're geared then Moonglow is better. This is because Furor increases your total mana, Moonglow reduces your mana loss rate. The two are about equal UNLESS Moonglow can reduce your mana loss rate to zero or less.

If Moonglow reduces your mana loss rate to zero or less than zero during "sustained healing" times then it is better. If not, go with Furor because it will delay the moment of oom more than Moonglow.

EDIT: for PvP one point in furor is still good so that you can instantly shift to cat form and have enough energy to skull bash or put a bleed on a rogue.
Edited by Lucidic on 5/10/2012 1:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]