Account-Wide Achievements + Rep

(Locked)

100 Blood Elf Hunter
We don’t want to make reputation account-wide. We think that removes too much of the gameplay of having an alt. Harkening back to the blog, the goal is for players to feel free to play their alts. If you have a cool mount on character A, then that might be an issue. Being exalted on character A so that enchants are easier to buy doesn’t seem like the same issue. (What I mean is, it’s a short step from there to saying character A has better gear so you aren’t going to play B).

For the first part I have to agree with Velyia here. By implementing account- wide achievements you have already removed a lot of game play right there.

I'm not going to just play on one character because they have a "cool mount". I'm actually going to want to work on the achievement to get that "cool mount" on my alts. (I actually do that now as a matter of fact.) Likening that to playing one character cause it has better gear is somewhat slippery slope logic. Everyone knows if one character doesn't have better gear you play them to gear them up.

It would probably be best if it was easier to gain rep on older factions on all characters. That way you would see people wanting to grind more to get those older, elusive achievements. Not just hand it out so easily. That's what achievements are for, to be achieved.

Ill be completely honest here: I don't think you guys really know what your customers want. From all i have noticed the years i have played is that you cater to the whiney, casual playing, self intitled customers. The people that have either been loyal or have tried to trust you know what is best end up sorely disappointed.

I have to agree 100% here.
Its like people go "This is too hard!!! I'm gonna quit!!!" and instead of maybe making it slightly easier it just gets handed to them for nothing.

To the person below him or Belthin- How does loyal and trusting = "hardcore"? Since I think your implying that if you are either the former you must be the later. Its not only the 'hardcore" players who are loyal to the WoW brand and have played it for years.

Anyways, I think Blizz needs to look to those longtime loyal players more and ask them what they think. There's a reason that they stay.
Edited by Garneta on 5/9/2012 11:51 PM PDT
85 Human Paladin
I haven't read the whole thread, but regarding mounts, why not just make them require that one of your characters have the faction exalted achievement?

This negates the ability to make a Night Elf for example to get those mounts without grinding a rep out, but rewards those who have done the rep grind - I'll be buggered if I'm going to rep grind on all of my characters to use a nightsaber.

i.e.
Spotted Frostsaber
Requires Night Elf or Battle.net achievement - Exalted Darnassus.
Shoulder enchants - I kind of enjoyed the Sons of Hodir system where I could mail the enchants to alts but if it stays the way it is in Cata I'll just do what I'm doing now, use whatever my character gets from running the zone. I'm not grinding the rep to exalted more than once.

City mounts - Honestly don't mind people getting the mounts on other characters, just make the level that you can use them be the level you can also buy them and if they get a night elf to that level then it unlocks across their Alliance characters.

Been playing since Vanilla (on my UK account then BC on USA when I moved to Aus) and all I really want is to use my mounts on all my characters. I've got all 10 classes to 85 and raided with them (to some degree) and I don't do achievements more than once. There's so much to do in the game I don't have time, I got the Strat horse to drop after nearly 130 runs, got the red and violet protodrakes but I'm still farming Heroic SH for the raven mount and Kara for Attumens mount. On my old main I'm doing archaeology after getting fishing and cooking done and then it's onto first aid and then the PVP achievements. I've spent a lot of the last month farming rare spawns and spirit beasts to tame on my hunter, and once MOP comes out there's a ton more to do not the least leveling 10 characters from 85 to 90 and then a monk.

I've never bought a hog mount or a vial of the sands as I can't justify that cost across all my characters and I've no idea which I'll be using as a main in the next expansion. If the mount changes go in so they'll be across all my characters then I'll be farming the gold to pay for those plus the mammoths.
Edited by Cronk on 5/10/2012 12:36 AM PDT
90 Orc Warrior
So my alts can use my old ZG mounts? Groovy.
88 Blood Elf Paladin
05/08/2012 06:40 PMPosted by Zarhym
Will this affect reputations associated with mounts? Say my Paladin is exalted with Ramkahen and I bought both mounts. Will I have to be exalted to use these mounts on my other characters?

The best answer right now is we're not sure. We're still discussing some of these details and honestly haven't drawn final conclusions as of yet. So just keep that in mind as you read on.

For Ramkahen, you'll probably just need to buy the mount once by gaining the necessary reputation on one character, in order to unlock it for all characters on your Battle.net account. The challenge comes with the city mounts. If I have a dwarf today, I have to get Exalted Darnassus to buy a nightsaber. But if the nightsabers become account level, then I should probably just make a night elf rather than grind exalted on the dwarf. If that doesn't feel right, we could "fix it" by making the city mounts non-account level. Or we could let them be account level, but make you require the appropriate reputation to use them. If we did THAT, then it might make sense for all faction mounts to require a rep.

But again, the simple answer is we’re not sure yet. :)

Haven't read the thread so I dunno if this has been mentioned, but I'd personally much prefer account-wide city mounts and non-account bound perks for grinding the rep. I have no clue what. Maybe vanity items? A more ornate city tabard? One or a variety of Transmoggable city emblem cloaks?
BoP stat-less transmog gear of the flavor of the race? That'd be amazing!
Like armor similar to the Sentinels in the Darnassus example. Draw from all the npcs to cover cloth, leather, mail, and plate. Grind Undercity rep and get access to Deathstalker-style vanity gear.
Other than that, maybe stuff like the Smoke Stained Locket but not strictly transformary. Maybe the Night Elf one summons a (relatively) little Ancient Protector or Wisp that casts a visually cool but combat ineffective spell like the idle Druid Tree of Life animation. Maybe the undead one calls a (relatively) small Abomination or a ghoul. Lots of options.
What about Justicar/Conqueror titles? They are tied to a very hard-to-get reputation. Please tell me that title will be available account-wide.
90 Dwarf Warrior
To the person below him or Belthin- How does loyal and trusting = "hardcore"? Since I think your implying that if you are either the former you must be the later. Its not only the 'hardcore" players who are loyal to the WoW brand and have played it for years.

The issue I was trying to point out is that "self-entitlement" isn't just something "lazy people" have. Casual players can be loyal and trusting to WoW as much as someone that plays 10 hours a day and has some server firsts. The issue is that sometimes both people labled as "casuals" and "hardcores" feel they're entitled to something just for paying for the game. LFR is a good example of this when you have "casuals" that auto-attack and afk because they want loot but are "too busy" to bother actually taking part in the fight or have a "hardcore" doing the same thing because they "shouldn't have to carry those casuals" and both are equally detracting from the game for everyone else.
85 Tauren Druid
05/08/2012 05:15 PMPosted by Zarhym
We don’t want to make reputation account-wide. We think that removes too much of the gameplay of having an alt.
I must be playing my alts wrong, because I thought the idea of having alts was to experience differing spell sets. Not to grind repeated reputations.

If the goal is to free the player from feeling like they have to play Character A, then NOT providing reputation at the account level isn't helping the goal at all.

Although I have grinded reps with my alts already, I still feel that in the future, negating long and boring alt rep grinds is a must to ensure an enjoyable play style.
85 Tauren Paladin
Zarhym said city rep mounts would be bad to be account wide cause u could make a toon the race of the mount u want and get it easily, that seems like an easy fix making it a pre-req to get say darnassus rep on a race other than night elf before it becomes account wide.

Personally i want account wide rep mounts solely because of the Netherwing mounts, i have them on this character and would love to have them on other characters but going through that rep grind is definitely a one time thing for me
Edited by Ludafrank on 5/10/2012 4:38 AM PDT
57 Blood Elf Warlock
If this includes mounts like vial of sands and mechano hog people such as myself and thousands have other will have waisted an insane amount of gold as myself will have lost like 1mil gold wich was alot of time playing trying to make that gold... I dont think it would be anywere near fare to just give free access to those exspensive mounts across all your toons.
90 Troll Shaman
05/09/2012 06:57 PMPosted by Belthin
I disagree. There is a lot of rep in this game; enabling rep account wide would be a good idea. There is plently to do and grind.

What's that? I thought one of the biggest complaints was there wasn't enough to do at end-game.

Really the want for account-wide rep just sounds to me like you want more reward for less time. What will be asked for next? Account-wide leveling? Account-wide JP/VP? Account-wide raid drops?

The want for account-wide reps, I believe mainly comes from the relatively few reps which take a significant amount of time to get exalted with (but also from being unwilling to do other specific reps a second or third time). But, in wanting, reps like the Steamwheedle reps, Bloodsail Bucanneers, Frenzyheart, Oracles, Aldor and Scryers reps aren't considered - which would make it being, not the right time to work on making reps account-wide, if ever at all.

I do believe it is better to relax the rep gains and/or awards for the older content, rather than to make account-wide reputation.
100 Tauren Druid
We don’t want to make reputation account-wide. We think that removes too much of the gameplay of having an alt. Harkening back to the blog, the goal is for players to feel free to play their alts. If you have a cool mount on character A, then that might be an issue. Being exalted on character A so that enchants are easier to buy doesn’t seem like the same issue. (What I mean is, it’s a short step from there to saying character A has better gear so you aren’t going to play B).

We can understand where the desire to have reputations function in this way stems from, however. For this reason faction rep is going to work a little differently in Mists of Pandaria and, we think, will feel better for players with multiple characters.

Good.
Mount question or thought....

If we have two characters, lets say, and each owns, for example, a Reins of the Traveler's Tundra Mammoth.

When mounts go account wide, will we receive a refund for the "extra" mounts (or multiple versions of the same mount) we have purchased?
90 Pandaren Hunter
Thank you sir! My school has started and rather than focusing on studying I have been grinding factions on my alts. Kalu'ak on one, Thrallmar on another, etc because I was under the impression that reps were account-wide as well. But now I can put this game aside and focus on my studies until MoP comes out. So thanks again.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I don't like that anything is account wide. I don't think it's cool and I don't like it at all. Takes away from the experience of alt playing. I guess I kind of see the point, the same person is behind each alt and it's only fair that all this stuff is account wide if he's already achieved it on one character right? Wrong...people are getting far too lazy and seriously spoiled. Account wide isn't cool. You want something on any character, work for it on that character. That's the way it should be.
85 Tauren Druid
There is an insane amount of whining from players here about having already acquired several mounts for their alts, and now some players in this category feel they're entitled to some kind of reimbursement or are putting their foot down in an effort to squash the idea of account-wide anything.
Players who haven't 'struggled' to accomplish the same level of mount collection dedication don't matter to them and are undeserving.

No one asked you to go out and collect every mount you could on your alts. Now they're account-wide. Enjoy.

On topic;

.. I have been grinding factions on my alts. Kalu'ak on one, Thrallmar on another, etc because I was under the impression that reps were account-wide as well. But now I can put this game aside and focus on my studies until MoP comes out.

This guy gets it
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]