Account-Wide Achievements + Rep

(Locked)

90 Goblin Mage
Zar, can you please tell us if theres going to be any overhaul in the pvp system for mists of pandaria? I know so many people wondering if its worth coming back and one of the major reasons theyre unsure is because the arena system in cata was sad due to the point cap and that the gear was always accessible no matter what rating a player was at. Rated Bg's were awesome tho i gotta say
90 Dwarf Shaman
Can we at least get some Shoulder enchants that are BoA or don't require exalted with a faction that requires an entire zone of quests like the past 2 expansions?
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm actually glad about not sharing rep between characters. One toon that gets attacked by every goblin faction is enough for me :p
Community Manager
05/08/2012 05:26 PMPosted by Teora
Will this affect reputations associated with mounts? Say my Paladin is exalted with Ramkahen and I bought both mounts. Will I have to be exalted to use these mounts on my other characters?

The best answer right now is we're not sure. We're still discussing some of these details and honestly haven't drawn final conclusions as of yet. So just keep that in mind as you read on.

For Ramkahen, you'll probably just need to buy the mount once by gaining the necessary reputation on one character, in order to unlock it for all characters on your Battle.net account. The challenge comes with the city mounts. If I have a dwarf today, I have to get Exalted Darnassus to buy a nightsaber. But if the nightsabers become account level, then I should probably just make a night elf rather than grind exalted on the dwarf. If that doesn't feel right, we could "fix it" by making the city mounts non-account level. Or we could let them be account level, but make you require the appropriate reputation to use them. If we did THAT, then it might make sense for all faction mounts to require a rep.

But again, the simple answer is we’re not sure yet. :)
05/08/2012 05:15 PMPosted by Zarhym
We can understand where the desire to have reputations function in this way stems from, however. For this reason faction rep is going to work a little differently in Mists of Pandaria and, we think, will feel better for players with multiple characters.

That could be good. I think Therazane was an interesting way to handle a faction, but tying shoulder enchants to them felt overly punitive. I'm ok with having to put in some effort into gearing my alt; but dear god I'm sick of running through those introductory quests just to be able to get the verdammt tabard to start earning rep on my own terms. For something unique like netherwing it's not such a terrible idea. For something de facto required like shoulder enchants... no.
85 Draenei Priest
05/08/2012 06:40 PMPosted by Zarhym
If I have a dwarf today, I have to get Exalted Darnassus to buy a nightsaber. But if the nightsabers become account level, then I should probably just make a night elf rather than grind exalted on the dwarf. If that doesn't feel right, we could "fix it" by making the city mounts non-account level. Or we could let them be account level, but make you require the appropriate reputation to use them. If we did THAT, then it might make sense for all faction mounts to require a rep.

I would be okay with that. The city reps are relatively easy to get, since you guys added tabards for them. Most people get exalted with those without even trying.

05/08/2012 06:33 PMPosted by Ludícity
Zar, can you please tell us if theres going to be any overhaul in the pvp system for mists of pandaria? I know so many people wondering if its worth coming back and one of the major reasons theyre unsure is because the arena system in cata was sad due to the point cap and that the gear was always accessible no matter what rating a player was at. Rated Bg's were awesome tho i gotta say

That has nothing to do with the topic, dude.
80 Human Warrior
(hypothetically) easy solution:

tag each city mount with "REQUIRES: Human OR Exalted with Stormwind"
90 Draenei Hunter
Can Blizzard update rep gain in older expansions? Like TBC as one of my personal examples. Even if you run thru the dungeons and stuff at lvl. Most players out level the items they can get from the factions in no time. Making the actual gear stuff not very usefull. The only thing worth getting from the factions is recipies, arcanums maaaaybe, and vanity items like mounts. By the time you are 68 it is time to go to Wrath lands and get Wrath gear, alts will already probably have some Wrath gear pieces. The ratio of out-leveling the stuff is worth using from rep gain is badly offset. Especially with guild perks like the 10% experience boost. I'm not saying a complete overhaul in TBC, or Wrath needs to be done, just somehow adjustments need to be made so as you level you can pick up the rep pieces at level like it was back when TBC or those expansions were new and they can be useful at level till you move to the next expansion area. That way alts have more utility with rep gear than just ignoring all that stuff and it's irrelevant anyway as it it

That's just how I see it, maybe I am totaly wrong, eh *shrugs*, just an idea.
Edited by Dreamlifter on 5/8/2012 6:52 PM PDT
90 Orc Hunter
Will this affect reputations associated with mounts? Say my Paladin is exalted with Ramkahen and I bought both mounts. Will I have to be exalted to use these mounts on my other characters?

The best answer right now is we're not sure. We're still discussing some of these details and honestly haven't drawn final conclusions as of yet. So just keep that in mind as you read on.

For Ramkahen, you'll probably just need to buy the mount once by gaining the necessary reputation on one character, in order to unlock it for all characters on your Battle.net account. The challenge comes with the city mounts. If I have a dwarf today, I have to get Exalted Darnassus to buy a nightsaber. But if the nightsabers become account level, then I should probably just make a night elf rather than grind exalted on the dwarf. If that doesn't feel right, we could "fix it" by making the city mounts non-account level. Or we could let them be account level, but make you require the appropriate reputation to use them. If we did THAT, then it might make sense for all faction mounts to require a rep.

Zar,if you take only one piece of imput back to the team please tell them this. Keep it simple. The more complex this is getting over what might be usuable for all my characters and what I'd have to do again is making this a little dreaded instead of exciting.

Edit: I was looking forward to trading up my main for MoP because of all my stuff going account wide but the more ifs and buts that come up the more I feel like I'm just stuck. I don't want to redo any of that stuff over and I won't.
Edited by Márr on 5/8/2012 6:54 PM PDT
90 Draenei Shaman
Bleh. I was truly hoping that reputation would be account wide now. Even with tabards it feels like a grind. A grind that I enjoy the first time through, but not the second time, third time, and so forth.

I'm crossing my fingers that you guys will end up changing your position on this.
90 Blood Elf Warrior
05/08/2012 06:40 PMPosted by Zarhym

Thank you for responding! I am glad to hear that neutral faction reputation mounts are being considered for account bound items. I am fine with the city mount issue, but to that extent is there any thought on the 12 mounts through the Argent Tournament being considered city mounts? Reputation is involved, but there's also achievements associated with these mounts.

Reputation titles like The Shattered Sun, of the Ashen Verdict and so on are also a question of mine.

I know you folks at the office have quite a lot to pick through with our questions and concerns. I greatly appreciate the amount of effort this company puts into the details of all facets of gameplay. With this added feature, no matter the outcome, I have a renewed excitement to continue my hunt for as many mounts and companions I can collect across all my toons. Thank you for that, Blizzard.
90 Orc Hunter
Bleh. I was truly hoping that reputation would be account wide now. Even with tabards it feels like a grind. A grind that I enjoy the first time through, but not the second time, third time, and so forth.

I'm crossing my fingers that you guys will end up changing your position on this.

I hope they change their mind too. The only reason I swap over to another character is for how it plays. I enjoy what a differnet class can offer. Not so I can regrind out Mag'har or Therazane rep a second time.
90 Human Priest
We don’t want to make reputation account-wide. We think that removes too much of the gameplay of having an alt. Harkening back to the blog, the goal is for players to feel free to play their alts. If you have a cool mount on character A, then that might be an issue. Being exalted on character A so that enchants are easier to buy doesn’t seem like the same issue. (What I mean is, it’s a short step from there to saying character A has better gear so you aren’t going to play B).

We can understand where the desire to have reputations function in this way stems from, however. For this reason faction rep is going to work a little differently in Mists of Pandaria and, we think, will feel better for players with multiple characters.

OK, then what about a compromise? The head enchants are BoA, which is fine and dandy. Toward the end of the expansion, why not make the rep gear BoA? It will be outdated by the end point in the expansion except to a fresh 85 alt.
90 Dwarf Warrior
Hi Zarhym,

As a ridiculously over-zealous achievement chaser, I think this model sounds like a pretty good start. Avoiding getting into the discussion of whether account-wide achievements should exist or not, I think this is a pretty solid initial approach to their implementation. I fully intend to continue to "achieve" on my warrior as if this feature was never added, but I will enjoy being able to utilize rewards on alts that I often play as well.

The one major question that pops up to me is how will achievement point "rankings" be listed? Currently, my warrior is ranked a certain number among other overachievers in the world/US/etc. because he has all of my achievement points. Once all of my alts have the same # of points, how does that impact rankings? Surely if I have 22 alts, I shouldn't take up 22 spots on a leaderboard (be it in the guild tab or on an external website), but is there any plan for this being handled smoothly? Will there be a BattleTag-esque system where our BattleTag (or something similar) will be what shows up on our Armory page or in the guild achievement point listing for purposes of ranking us as one entity, rather than a bunch of alts with the same # of points? Is there any plans in this regard? It's okay if you don't know, I'm just curious how it will work, and wanted to make sure it wasn't overlooked.

*Note: This isn't a desire to maintain any sort of "status" because of my achievement points, I'm simply just invested pretty heavily in the achievement community and wouldn't want a minor oversight to turn into a huge display issue among those interested in seeing where they stand in achievement points against their friends, guildmates, realm, region, or world.

Thanks in advance for reading/replying and thanks for the blog post (GC) and other insight that has been shared by everyone at Blizzard thus far.
90 Draenei Death Knight
Hey Zar, what about things like the Vial of the Sands or the two-seater rocket. Will those be account wide too? I really hope so.
Community Manager
05/08/2012 06:56 PMPosted by Teora

Thank you for responding! I am glad to hear that neutral faction reputation mounts are being considered for account bound items. I am fine with the city mount issue, but to that extent is there any thought on the 12 mounts through the Argent Tournament being considered city mounts? Reputation is involved, but there's also achievements associated with these mounts.

Reputation titles like The Shattered Sun, of the Ashen Verdict and so on are also a question of mine.

I know you folks at the office have quite a lot to pick through with our questions and concerns. I greatly appreciate the amount of effort this company puts into the details of all facets of gameplay. With this added feature, no matter the outcome, I have a renewed excitement to continue my hunt for as many mounts and companions I can collect across all my toons. Thank you for that, Blizzard.

Yea, sorry, I left out your question about reputation-based titles because we don't have an answer as of yet. I guess you could say that also falls within the "we're not sure" category at this stage. ;)
90 Blood Elf Warlock
05/08/2012 05:15 PMPosted by Zarhym
We don’t want to make reputation account-wide. We think that removes too much of the gameplay of having an alt. Harkening back to the blog, the goal is for players to feel free to play their alts. If you have a cool mount on character A, then that might be an issue. Being exalted on character A so that enchants are easier to buy doesn’t seem like the same issue. (What I mean is, it’s a short step from there to saying character A has better gear so you aren’t going to play B).

That's not the problem, then. If someone doesn't want to play an alt, it's more likely that it's not due to a rep issue. It will, however, be much more likely to be a "I don't like the mechanics/play-style of my -insert class- alt so I don't want to play it." Rep might be factored in there somewhere, but it's not going to be the major deciding factor that you painted it to be.

All that said, I do want to say that I'm looking forward to the account-wide changes coming for WoW. I just hope this isn't something that will be carried over into Titan.
20 Blood Elf Hunter
Would vanity currency like Darkmoon Fair and Tol Barad insignias ever become account-wide as well?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]