Account-Wide Achievements + Rep

(Locked)

90 Troll Shaman
05/08/2012 08:53 PMPosted by Whatlol
So Hks will be collected from all toons and pooled into one ach or how will that work?

Of course, for Honorable Kills it might be better to separate by faction. And, if the reference to "account-only" refers to the Battle.Net level for Honorable Kills, and I have 8 accounts multi-boxing on the same Battle.Net account (the maximum per Battle.Net account), that's 8 Honorable Kills for every honorable kill - the way it's presented as.
90 Draenei Shaman
We don’t want to make reputation account-wide. We think that removes too much of the gameplay of having an alt. Harkening back to the blog, the goal is for players to feel free to play their alts. If you have a cool mount on character A, then that might be an issue. Being exalted on character A so that enchants are easier to buy doesn’t seem like the same issue. (What I mean is, it’s a short step from there to saying character A has better gear so you aren’t going to play B).

We can understand where the desire to have reputations function in this way stems from, however. For this reason faction rep is going to work a little differently in Mists of Pandaria and, we think, will feel better for players with multiple characters.

Placing limitations on the 'it's the player, not the character' philosophy is fine - depending on the limitations of course.

So, for rep based enchants is the plan to do away with them or maybe do away with their BoA status or maybe add back in the rep requirement to actually use them?

For Cata right now, the shoulder enchants seem to adhere to the rep required model. The head enchants are another story all together. While only a character with the appropriate rep can buy them, they are BoA and do not have a rep restriction for their use. So, after getting my mage to exalted, all my other intel based characters can safely ignore the rep yet still benefit from the enchant - all that is needed is that my mage actually buys the enchant and sends it off to them.
70 Undead Warrior
i dont like it way to make a boring game even duller, so pretty much all my alts are entitled to evrything i have achieved on my main. Really doesnt leave me much to do now does it?
90 Troll Druid
Zar, I would have to agree with you man. I believe that the city mounts should only be account-wide if the person is exalted with each faction. In my own experience, I had to farm Runecloth or wipeout the entire stock of Runecloth that the AH had and then turn that in to get the reputation with the home cities. I realize that this process has since been replaced since players can now get the tabards and get the reputation by running dugeons, which I am fine with, but I think that in order to not make the game to easy, just have people be required to have the exalted reputation on one toon and then they can have the mounts that belong to that faction.
85 Night Elf Rogue
Well if mounts are going account bound, then for the main factions all you would need is a character that has the ambassador title (ie exalted with all factions) to unlock the mounts to the rest of the account.

Another option which I think was touched upon, albeit a tad vague, was to make it so you need one toon exalted with a faction that is not their home in order to unlock the mounts to everyone. Take 2 toons, a NE and a Human: The human is exalted with everyone (Ambassador of the Alliance). This unlocks every mount EXCEPT horses to the rest of the toons on the account. You would then need to hit exalted with Stormwind with the Night Elf to get them unlocked account wide.

I hope that makes sense, though I do think the first one is a tad easier to accomplish (you could even have it so the mounts that you buy once exalted are BoA).

Anyhew good luck with the decisions. My only hope is if this goes through I will NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER have to wait till exalted with UC on my BE toons to get a mount (I refuse to ride that damned hawkstrider)! :D
85 Undead Warrior
easy fixed, Just make reps bnet wide and rep rewards require an avg item lvl for items sold (like you did with cata gems) and completion of a small quest chain for patterns.
Edited by Kisain on 5/8/2012 11:07 PM PDT
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Will this affect reputations associated with mounts? Say my Paladin is exalted with Ramkahen and I bought both mounts. Will I have to be exalted to use these mounts on my other characters?

The best answer right now is we're not sure. We're still discussing some of these details and honestly haven't drawn final conclusions as of yet. So just keep that in mind as you read on.

For Ramkahen, you'll probably just need to buy the mount once by gaining the necessary reputation on one character, in order to unlock it for all characters on your Battle.net account. The challenge comes with the city mounts. If I have a dwarf today, I have to get Exalted Darnassus to buy a nightsaber. But if the nightsabers become account level, then I should probably just make a night elf rather than grind exalted on the dwarf. If that doesn't feel right, we could "fix it" by making the city mounts non-account level. Or we could let them be account level, but make you require the appropriate reputation to use them. If we did THAT, then it might make sense for all faction mounts to require a rep.

But again, the simple answer is we’re not sure yet. :)

could always just change the reputation required to honored, or something. i know on most of my toons that while leveling i get most of the factions to honored at least. Also, i do know that personally, the basic city mounts are just that: basic. getting to exalted with a city faction is extremely easy, and everybody has access to them with a minimal amount of work, as you can be exalted with all the cities with a little work by the time you hit 60 (its not uncommon for a lowbie to have the ambassador title nowadays). The problem i can see would be the mounts gained from, say... garadar. killing all those ogres, collecting all those marks, took me FOREVER on my hunter and ill never do it again, but whenever i happen to feel the urge, i always use my tabulk when i play him, because of the amount of work it took. so if i had to, on a different toon, grind to maybe honored, id be willing to do so rather than grinding another to exalted since honored still takes a little dedication, but not days and weeks to accomplish.
Edited by Hoböh on 5/8/2012 11:21 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Paladin
05/08/2012 11:20 PMPosted by Hoböh
The problem i can see would be the mounts gained from, say... garadar. killing all those ogres, collecting all those marks, took me FOREVER on my hunter and ill never do it again, but whenever i happen to feel the urge, i always use my tabulk when i play him, because of the amount of work it took.

In my opinion, the uncertainty surrounding racial mounts is that they are automatically available to their own races, allowing determined players to bypass the exalted requirement. The mounts obtained from factions that are not automatic (such as Garadar) can only be obtained if the player earned it through time and effort. I would suggest implementing achievements for each capital city reputation with the reward "allows all characters to ride <mounts> from <city name>". It would allow the system to easily check if the effort was made without having to implement a cumbersome compromise.

As a direct opinion on the topic of account-wide reputation: I sincerely hope that Blizzard gives each faction a Bind on Account item that can be used to raise the user's reputation with that faction that can be purchased only at exalted.
90 Night Elf Death Knight
We don’t want to make reputation account-wide. We think that removes too much of the gameplay of having an alt. Harkening back to the blog, the goal is for players to feel free to play their alts. If you have a cool mount on character A, then that might be an issue. Being exalted on character A so that enchants are easier to buy doesn’t seem like the same issue. (What I mean is, it’s a short step from there to saying character A has better gear so you aren’t going to play B).

We can understand where the desire to have reputations function in this way stems from, however. For this reason faction rep is going to work a little differently in Mists of Pandaria and, we think, will feel better for players with multiple characters.

I remember reading in the blog that some very difficult to get achievements(the insane title for example) would be account wide.. because to hell doing that on multiple characters.

I know the insane requires reputations with some obscure factions, how would the account wide system handle this?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
how does this work? do the achivments span across the account and the mounts and pets as well?
85 Blood Elf Rogue
05/08/2012 05:28 PMPosted by Pokerplate
What about making Titles account wide?

This better be one big HELL NO else it's an unforgivable insult to those players who have already busted their butts to achieve identical titles across multiple toons.
Edited by Trahaearn on 5/9/2012 4:16 AM PDT
96 Human Paladin

I'm so happy for this - I enjoy alts. I enjoy getting reputations on each of them. Thank you for keeping it separate. I don't do end game raids and dungeons so I'm happy I'll still be able to continue my character (and I love the compromise on account-achievements where you'll still "get them" on new characters with the pop-up text). ^^

Hey Zar. Since you're at it, could you guys poke around some of the questions asked on the comments of that article for us?

I'm wondering if it's "wow licence-wide" achievements or "Battle.net account-wide" ones, for instance.

For all intents and purposes, assume that the game doesn't really understand the concept of a WoW license. The account-level achievement system will all be based on the Battle.net account and not each individual WoW license attached to it.

OMG. It gets better too! :)))

I hope that mounts and pets are included toooo! :3
85 Troll Hunter
Regarding account-wide mounts, I think only faction-specific, class and profession mounts should be restricted. Anything more than that and the purpose of the feature is almost defeated. If I have to be exalted with the Skyguard on any one character in order to ride my Rays for example.

So city mounts should be account-wide. Yeah a person might just decide to level a whatever race, but they could equally just decide to get their character to exalted. Neither are particularly difficult, so what difference does it make? Maybe I don't want to level a guy.

Furthermore, I think that mounts that are essentially the same on both factions and are obtained the same way, but with minor aesthetic differences, should provide the respective versions to your opposite faction characters. For example, the Mammoths and Warbears from Wrath. All are obtained in exactly the same way and have the same names, but have slightly different armour depending on which faction the character is. If for example I get the Traveller's Tundra Mammoth on a Horde character, I think my Alliance characters should get the Alliance version. I really don't want to have to do Brunnhildar dailies again just to try and get the Polar Bear for both factions.

The two exceptions to this I think would be the black warbear (which requires killing all the opposite faction leaders), since the experience of obtaining it is not identical, and also possibly the chopper/hog, because I think the visual difference is enough to warrant it. These would be restricted to characters on the same faction.

On class mounts: If you level a class and get one of their class mounts, it should also give that mount if you level characters of the same class. For example, the Ebon Gryphon. Buying it should unlock the mount for all your Death Knights. However, I feel there is also an important restriction to be made here, and that is restricting the Paladin Class/Race mounts to their respective Class/Races. Only Draenei Paladins should get the Exarch's Elekk, only Tauren Paladins should get the Sunwalker Kodo, and so on. I think this is important because these mounts are an important part of both the appeal of playing these particular combinations, and their lore.

Thanks for reading.
100 Gnome Mage
I don't know if this has been suggested, but here's a good way to alter reputation.

If you have a character that is exalted with a group becomes a "mentor" for your alts, giving you +15% (or some other amount) reputation gains for your alts. Makes grinding easier once you've done it once.
100 Human Mage
05/08/2012 06:40 PMPosted by Zarhym
For Ramkahen, you'll probably just need to buy the mount once by gaining the necessary reputation on one character, in order to unlock it for all characters on your Battle.net account. The challenge comes with the city mounts. If I have a dwarf today, I have to get Exalted Darnassus to buy a nightsaber. But if the nightsabers become account level, then I should probably just make a night elf rather than grind exalted on the dwarf. If that doesn't feel right, we could "fix it" by making the city mounts non-account level. Or we could let them be account level, but make you require the appropriate reputation to use them. If we did THAT, then it might make sense for all faction mounts to require a rep.

I'm pretty sure that I could get exalted faster at max level by wearing the city tabard than it would take to get to 40 and it would be a lot cheaper since I wouldn't have to buy flight training in order to buy the fast mounts. There is no grind involved in city reps - I got Gilneas to exalted without even trying since I was redoing the revamped zone quests to re-complete the Loremaster subparts. The change to give you full rep when doing low level quests makes it go super fast, especially since it gives rep for all the alliance cities. If this was back in vanilla days when city reps were a huge grind then yes, this would be an issue. But today? No way.
90 Tauren Druid
05/08/2012 06:40 PMPosted by Zarhym
Will this affect reputations associated with mounts? Say my Paladin is exalted with Ramkahen and I bought both mounts. Will I have to be exalted to use these mounts on my other characters?

The best answer right now is we're not sure. We're still discussing some of these details and honestly haven't drawn final conclusions as of yet. So just keep that in mind as you read on.

But again, the simple answer is we’re not sure yet. :)

I can see it now: "Brown Kodo: Requires Thunder Bluff - Exalted OR Race: Tauren." >:3
75 Worgen Druid
We think that removes too much of the gameplay.

not for nothing but there has been to much removed over the years of the game play anyways.

this game use to be hard. like getting a mount at 40, having to save half or nearly all of my ah sales to eventually pay for it.

now i get it at what 20? sell a stack of leather and its paid for.

in an attempt to save myself in this game i transfered this toon to a very low population alliance side server to feel how hard this game once was. i log in and i log out after 30 minutes because the want just isnt there anymore.

i cancel my account then come back..a few months later its all the same.

in my opinion you put what is hard as in quanity like gaining gear through lfr and rep grinds or chasing achievements or a time sink like the arch profession.

the quality is whats missing.

and for that reason, im out. "sharktank"
90 Undead Death Knight
I really feel like all of this is just one more way to promote people not playing what they like or are comfortable with and just migrating to whatever the over powered flavor-of-the-month class is.

I guess it will be cool to use my mounts on my alts though.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]