DPS living

90 Human Paladin
How much do you guys concern yourself with the rest of the party living in 5 mans? I always set the healer as my focus so if need be I can HoS or bubble them but when it comes to the DPS I don't really worry beyond popping Divine Guardian if I know some heavy AoE damage is coming in.

I was just wondering what you other tanks thought on the rest of the party living. Is it just a "whatever, that's the healer's job" situation?

Edit: I would love to hear thoughts from some raid tanks. In a raid enviroment, does the survivability of the raid fall even more onto your shoulders? (obviously i mean in ways that go beyond just holding aggro and positioning the baddies)
Edited by Garbal on 5/9/2012 2:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Never, they're usually doing half my damage or less, so they're expendable.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If DPS die in 5mans, I figure it's their fault. I know I have the mobs on me. If they're dead, it's cause they didn't avoid something they should have, and the healer decided not to put up with it.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
They won't die to threat issues or anything I can save them from. If they walk off a cliff or something, they better have wings. I've got nothing against laughing at their fiery suicide when they just decide they'd rather play in fire.

If they're doing half my damage, it's that much easier to keep threat on everything, so that's a poor argument. Course, I don't wait for anybody. I'll be at the next pack killing stuff before the DPS even finish looting, using cooldowns if the healer is slow.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I have tried popping it on certain phases of fights...like the first boss of HoT when he starts channeling during the last 20%. But mostly, either I am carried by stellar dps, or they all need to succumb to Darwinism.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Honestly if DPS live great means the boss dies faster. If DPS die it doesn't make me lose sleep over it.
And well DPS living or dieing is not really my department unless i do something like face the dragon at the raid/5 man or lose threat, other then those kind of things not my area

Either
A) DPS didn't get of the fire and went splat aka DPS fault

OR

B) Healer couldn't heal them and they went splat aka healer fault, or maybe my fault if i didn't pop a CD and not give the healer room/time to heal the group raid/5 man.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
It depends because of 2 factors

1 when i tank nothing but mobs die, nothing goes to the healers, and the dps rarely pull off me, because i watch threat meters on mobs to make sure that doesn't happen.. ie: i do my tanking job

2 when i dps on my shaman or paladin or hunter or whatever, I do my job which is to DPS mobs, If one is marked i'll kill it, But more times then not I've seen half the pack of mobs run and head for say an arcane mage or my enhancement shaman ends up tanking like half the pack after i hit fire nova (ie: some tanks SUCK at AoE tanking Pro Tip: Tab target and hit other things other then the one you're tunneling on)

There's no excuse for dps to pull agro, BUT at the same time, it's not always thier fault. Since there's equally bad tanks that aren't doing anything but derping away and then freak out when dps (who is doing their job) pulls agro.

I don't have a problem with taunting off dps, provided they aren't idiots who are like deathgriping or taunting stuff (i have issues taunting off that) but i have no problem taunting off people doing good DPS because i shouldn't punish them for doing THEIR job.

And well if as a tank your healer is pulling agro.. you might want to SERIOUSLY rethink what you're doing.

Unless you're in that gauntlet in end time that place ... doesn't seem to handle threat right.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
As someone mentioned recently in another post, I like to think of tanking as babysitting. Your job is to take care of your group, even if they're annoying and not doing their best to keep themselves alive. Just because little Timmy is a brat and should know better than to stick the fork in the power outlet doesn't change your job. So, barring extreme circumstances (people being overly rude, repeatedly ignoring advice) I do my best to keep even incompetent DPS alive.

That being said...I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to the return of bubble hearth for those particularly insufferable groups XD.

Regarding your question about raids, there are some niches where you have the power to help out (such as glyphed salving or HoPing your strongest aoe dps in black phase yorsahj) , but I think your overall capacity to help out your dps drops, due to the scaling up of incoming damage and increased number of dps. In raids I shift my focus more to helping keep my OT alive when possible.
Edited by Xanrael on 5/9/2012 1:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/09/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Duchene
because that means I have to slow down/stop tanking until that person is revived which makes the run longer.

Just keep going. They can run back in. n.n
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Given that I do between 50% and 70% of my group's damage... I don't really care.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I hold aggro, other than that they're on their own.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
do i have aggro on everything?

am i moving the boss out of bad stuff and/or keeping him turned away from the party?

Yes to both?

If someone is dead then its their own damn fault. I do my job, they should be able to do theirs. If they can't its not my fault and its not going to be my stress.

If we wipe because of their idiocy i'll go with it twice (once because i wasn't expecting it, 2nd time after giving explainations like "do not stand in fire" and other difficult concepts). Third time they get kicked, no exceptions. Get mouthy? Get kicked. Cheesed the ilvl req, wearing greens and pulling 3k dps? Sorry, its less time to get a replacement dps than it is the added time on this clear. /kick.

So yea, i'm kick happy anymore. Just not worth putting up with dps bull-!@#$. But them just dying repeatedly to stupid stuff while i know i'm doing my own job right? That isn't a problem. Its entertainment.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Tank Dies = Healer's Fault

Healer Dies = Tank's Fault

DPS Die = Their own Fault

Don't stand in fire. :)
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
05/09/2012 02:43 AMPosted by Garbal
How much do you guys concern yourself with the rest of the party living in 5 mans?

It's my job, no matter how dumb they are, if I can prevent a death I will. The healer's life is slightly more important though.

I give them my shield wall, I give them intervened safeguard if Im playing my durpy spec, and I always rally cry to save a DurPS. If all those fail, the healer sucks or the melee is unsavable.
Edited by Asane on 5/10/2012 4:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Usually depends. I don't give a crap if it looks like they're not even trying (Less than 10k dps while standing in bad, or 5k dps in HoTs on any situation, seriously, I don't get how people can do less than 10k dps with the required iLvl and the random group buff). And I don't give a crap if they brought it upon themselves either (by pulling the mobs before I got there and such).

When DPS start a fight before I'm there I'll bubble the healer if needed and will pull mobs slowly without taunting .. Unless it's happening too many times, then I'll just stand there and watch, or even go to the next pull! I also let DKs who Death Grip tank ... while they last.

As a healer, I'll also let the DPS die on those scenarios (and if the tank is the bad I'll just leave group ... possibly mid-combat if he's just too bad, when out of combat otherwise).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
do i have aggro on everything?

am i moving the boss out of bad stuff and/or keeping him turned away from the party?

Yes to both?

If someone is dead then its their own damn fault. I do my job, they should be able to do theirs. If they can't its not my fault and its not going to be my stress.

If we wipe because of their idiocy i'll go with it twice (once because i wasn't expecting it, 2nd time after giving explainations like "do not stand in fire" and other difficult concepts). Third time they get kicked, no exceptions. Get mouthy? Get kicked. Cheesed the ilvl req, wearing greens and pulling 3k dps? Sorry, its less time to get a replacement dps than it is the added time on this clear. /kick.

So yea, i'm kick happy anymore. Just not worth putting up with dps bull-!@#$. But them just dying repeatedly to stupid stuff while i know i'm doing my own job right? That isn't a problem. Its entertainment.

DPS dying because tank won't kite outta stuff - tanks fault
DPS dying because tank is stupid and runs around like a moron constantly and gets everything cleaved like a weed wacker - tanks fault

Healers/DPS dying because the tank doesn't pick up adds that are running around - tanks fault

DPS dying because mobs spawned, and start attacking whatever is closest to them, and tank stands there like he is afk - tanks fault.

Examples of why DPS isn't always to blame, also examples of how i've seen people die in randoms.

V- Double post.
Edited by Barfus on 5/10/2012 9:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]