Priorities: Where does bot elimination fit?

100 Orc Hunter
Some people I play with have a guy in their guild (a larger type of guild) that is obviously running a bot. They've reported him. I've reported him. I continue to see him doing the same thing.

I know how Bliz has a lot on the plate. I also know they are not going to "get back to me" on the results of their investigation. But the way it looks, nothing has been done. This guy is still there, running his scripts, all day, everyday, screwing up the server's economy.

"How do you know its a bot? Maybe its not a bot? Maybe they already checked and cleared him?"

People in his guild - everyone who has watched him is certain. Doesn't respond to people in his guild, in /say, in whispers, /emotes, jumping up and down in front of him, group invites, etc. At one point a few of us, mostly from his guild were gathered around his character while he's up against a wall DEing and cutting gems. We followed him on his repetitive route he takes to odd places to craft.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Blizzard doesn't individually ban bots - they ban them in waves. To individually ban bots helps make the programmers smarter faster.

It sucks, but continue to report him.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Since bots are fundamentally a game of wack-a-mole and will always be, they want to make big actions, not pick off botters one by one and give bot writers a chance to adjust behavior so they won't get detected as easily next time.

I don't think it's a priority per se, but more of an on-going activity. It can't really be prioritized because it's not really something you can solve, it's just something that you have to have on-going programs to combat, which they do.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Mage
Why hasn't said person been kicked from said guild, does the guild promote such activities?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
05/08/2012 12:21 PMPosted by Phaedra
Blizzard doesn't individually ban bots - they ban them in waves.
I'm starting to believe this is just "media-spin" by Blizzard so they don't have to police their own game.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Mage
05/08/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Adelaide
Nope, they did a big wave awhile back and people were whining on MMO Champion and other websites that they got caught and they were trying to email blizzard and make up crap to get unbanned.

It's fun seeing the Customer Support forum explode when it happens, I don't think Blizzard even made a statement the last time it happened as well.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
05/08/2012 12:29 PMPosted by Tablemaker
Why hasn't said person been kicked from said guild, does the guild promote such activities?

Good question. I can't speak for that guild's GM who has final say, but from what I understand they are aware of it, definitely do not like it, and I think have reported him themselves. I know the bot's fellow guild members have reported him too. So, I guess the reason could be a number of things:

1. Hasn't gotten around to it...
2. Wants to keep an eye on the bot...
3. Doesn't want to kick and find out all allegations were false.

Those are just guesses of course, and there are many more possibilities. Bottom line I can't really defend or explain something I have no control over.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Some guilds don't care about what their members do, while others are very protective of their reputation.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
I've always said Blizz should give every class an ability to do something that disrupts a friendly target. If you have it try using the piccolo that makes everybody dance...maybe that will screw up its program. In the meantime, just try everything you can to disrupt him and keep reporting him.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
There are people at Blizzard that literally do nothing but research these issues and look for ways to identify these programs so that the people using them can be removed from the game.

Considering Blizzard pays people to do this? That's taking it seriously.

Unfortunately, there are far too many people too lazy to play a video game and too lacking in character to play by the rules. How sad is it that you have to cheat at a video game?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Based on the suspected bots I've reported there seems to be two methods Blizzard uses to ban.

1) As identified already, they'll wait and gather lots of information so they can try to break the bot as well as ban all the people using it.

2) If it's a bot Blizzard has seen and banned before with new people using it, they'll ban within 1-2 weeks of a report.

Best bet is to make your Cheating Report as detailed and complete as possible within the limited space on the window. Then sit back and give the system time to work.
Reply Quote
46 Tauren Druid
Yeah, it's often not immediate. Sometimes it is. On my main realm I've been reporting 3 times a day this one guy. he's not the usual botleveled toon, he has a real player history and clearly doesn't care about losing his account, or he's hacked.

Geezopeetz though, this guy is murdering the herb market. Herbs tank, flasks tank, glyphs tank... everything sucks.

Edit: By "immediate" I mean the same day.
Edited by Rangewolf on 5/8/2012 7:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Blizzard doesn't individually ban bots - they ban them in waves. To individually ban bots helps make the programmers smarter faster.

This, I really wish people would do at least a minute of research before posting complaints on the forums.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter

This, I really wish people would do at least a minute of research before posting complaints on the forums.

1. Who posted a complaint?

2. Where does one go to research the inside scoop on Blizzards current strategy regarding bot elimination? Maybe you could take 1 min or less and post a link to the page that I would have found which explains what Blizzard is doing.
Edited by Glenlivet on 5/9/2012 11:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

2. Where does one go to research the inside scoop on Blizzards current strategy regarding bot elimination? Maybe you could take 1 min or less and post a link to the page that I would have found which explains what Blizzard is doing.

Since it's fundamentally a cat and mouse type of game, they can't really reveal details, as even a little information can often help the other side avoid their mechanisms.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
05/09/2012 11:24 AMPosted by Glenlivet

http://mmorig.com/blizzard-addresses-recent-bot-bans-and-concerns/

For the record, I used Google and typed "Blizzard bot ban strategy." This link was the first result. Google works by searching against the terms you give it, and tries to find web pages that match what you're after. They're one of the better search engines out there. I highly recommend using them over other engines if you have questions.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]