Prot Paladin or Blood DK?

85 Night Elf Druid
Im looking at making a new Blood Dk or Prot Paladin and wanted to know what would be better for tanking 5 mans and the occasional raid.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Both tanks are viable for 5man dungeons and heroics, and 10/25man LFR, normal, and heroics.

It simply boils down to what YOU enjoy playing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Both tanks are viable for 5man dungeons and heroics, and 10/25man LFR, normal, and heroics.

This.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If you need to ask, then the answer is warrior. Or paladin.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
They are both fun, but i believe dk's scale better with gear. If that means anything to you.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Also keep in mind we're nearing(ish) MoP where balance will jumble completely. DK is arguably a bit stronger on some fights right now (I'm looking at you, Yor'sahj), but it'd really be a shame to pass up a play style you prefer for what will soon(ish) be outdated balance information. So just #%%% around with both for a bit, and see what skill set you find more appealing.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Pallies have the super OP ability /hairflip

DKs have nothing nearly as epic or OP as that.

Go pally.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Paladin tanking requires very little thought, but it's also very boring. So if it's your first tank, it's probably a good idea.
Once you get the hang of it though and you feel more comfortable, any of the other classes are more... exciting.

I will never, ever tank on my Paladin again unless Blizzard scraps the entire "Watch numbers tick down, then cast them again" alternating rotation that Paladins have. 96969 style, you know what I'm saying?

I refuse to believe anyone could experience all the tanking classes and still find Paladin 'enjoyable'. It's just not possible. It's like saying: Yeah I've eaten steak and I've eaten bread, but I still prefer plain bread instead of steak. Hahaha, no.
Edited by Epidemix on 5/9/2012 3:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I think a big portion of what people miss when they say Pally tanking is boring is the fact that we have a ton of support spells. Our main rotation is dead simple, no doubt, but this just frees up our attention to be able to routinely toss out "Hand of" spells and the occasional WoG when helpful.

I certainly agree that other rotations are more engaging and can see how some people might not like it as a result. But I personally view the ability to not be that engaged in my baseline rotation and give that added focus to the encounter/fellow raiders to be a boon.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Dear DK guy flaunting:

DK tanking isn't hard either.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Both!!! I have both and they're both fun to play.

Especially since I was lucky enough to get ESS and then H-ESS on my DK.

Of course once MoP hits any serious tank player is also going to try out a Monk.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Both!!! I have both and they're both fun to play.

Especially since I was lucky enough to get ESS and then H-ESS on my DK.

Of course once MoP hits any serious tank player is also going to try out a Monk.

I don't think i will because everyone and their dog will have a monk.

I plan on queuing as DPS on every character and making the monk tanks wish they'd stuck to their hunters.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I would make a blood dk. Prot gets boring for most people fairly quickly and blood is overall a lot better endgame right now. Blood has better soloing ability (mines only ilvl 386 and I'm working on soloing ICC before MoP) so theres always something to do as it. Even though blood is just as easy as pally tanking blood takes more skill to master imo. You have to be hitting stuff a lot faster making it a quicker paced, more interesting class. It plays somewhat dps like so it's easy to transition to.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Death Knight

yup
Since all tanks are rel balanced, its better to play one you enjoy than a class you 'heard' was better but can't get a good feel for. Esp at the more casual level, weigh more on 'feel' than on power. If you can't stand using a certain staple spell or ability or rotation a class has, then that prob means you should look elsewhere. For instance, in the case of paladins they have lotsa good support cds for groups/raids and a more streamlined HoPo rotation, whereas DKs have an 'active' mitigation model with DS that can be engaging (depending on who you ask); if you find that you just don't like support cds or HoPo, or managing DK DS+cds, then that's a major strike against playing one or the other.
Reply Quote
Warriors are the best and only tanks in the world....not even an American Military Tank is a Tank.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
edit- play what seems fun, doesn't matter much right now
Edited by Ruck on 5/14/2012 9:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight

I refuse to believe anyone could experience all the tanking classes and still find Paladin 'enjoyable'. It's just not possible.

im just gonna avoid the complicated way of calling you an idiot because im pretty sure id just confuse you a lot more and just outright say it

idiot.
Edited by Ruck on 5/14/2012 9:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I play both and I like Blood better.

Paladin is easier but Blood does more damage and there are times in 5 mans when the healer DCs, stops to drink/loot or tries to get me killed and I don't even notice until the end of the pull.

Just today I was on a recently dinged Blood DK in a ZG pug and everybody died, I Brezed the healer and finished the boss.

Much harder to pull stuff like that off on a Pally.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]