Help rating this gear

71 Human Warrior
I not done any dungeons yet in groups. I dont know if i am a tank or a dps in this armor i gotten.

Should I just bite the bullet so to speak and just dive in? knowing most likly i will be chewed on about not knowing anything about the dungeon?

First toon lots to learn.
Johannette
Reply Quote
You're specced as Prot (weapon and shield preferred), but carrying a big two-hander (Arms weapon type).

Your gear is all over the place. Some too low level, some for tanking, most more or less for dps, some... just wrong. You need nothing with Spirit. Nothing with Int. Not even anything with Agility.

My recommendations:
1) Respec as Arms
2) Queue as DPS
3) Begin trading out anything that isn't Strength and Stamina for stuff that is.
4) Listen to what all the real Warrior experts on this forum will tell you in the next few minutes.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
92 Blood Elf Hunter
At your level, gear for DPS and tanks isn't horribly different, though I would say your gear favors strength over stamina, so it would be better suited to DPS. That said, you've got a mix of stats on your gear, so try to replace any pieces with intellect, spirit, and agility for those with just stamina/strength when you get the opportunity.

Weapon-wise, you NEED a one handed weapon + shield to tank, so if you don't have those (and only have that 2-handed weapon), you have to DPS.

That being said, if you haven't done any dungeons before, you'd be better off trying them as DPS the first time, as tanks often are expected to know the dungeon and how to tank already. That's not to discourage you from trying tanking... but it might be less stressful if you try a dungeon as a DPS the first time. Get used to the pace and maybe figure out the layout of the instances first.

If you have any other questions about how to gear or how to do dungeons, don't be afraid to ask. :)

PS: Psst... Harlan, she's in her secondary spec. Arms already is her primary spec. ;)
Edited by Cerylia on 5/9/2012 11:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/09/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Cerylia
PS: Psst... Harlan, she's in her secondary spec. Arms already is her primary spec. ;)

Why, back in my day we didn't have any secondary specs and WE LIKED IT.

Ok. Put a check by comment 1. The rest still apply.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
05/09/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Cerylia
That said, you've got a mix of stats on your gear, so try to replace any pieces with intellect, spirit, and agility for those with just stamina/strength when you get the opportunity.

Remember that stat allocation at low levels is very funky.

You'll want to start looking for Plate strength gear though now that you're over level 40. Ideally by the time you hit 50 you want to be in all plate so you can get the plate specialization bonus.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
92 Blood Elf Hunter
05/09/2012 11:11 AMPosted by Akosi
That said, you've got a mix of stats on your gear, so try to replace any pieces with intellect, spirit, and agility for those with just stamina/strength when you get the opportunity.

Remember that stat allocation at low levels is very funky.

You'll want to start looking for Plate strength gear though now that you're over level 40. Ideally by the time you hit 50 you want to be in all plate so you can get the plate specialization bonus.

Haha, ya, I know. I was totally rocking Gorilla gear on my Holy paladin when I leveled her. xD It was... half useful!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Most of what I'd say has already been covered. While you're leveling, there isn't all that much distinction between tank gear and DPS gear. But it's never too early to start building separate sets, especially since you need a two-hander for Arms and a shield and one-hander for Protection anyway. For example, you could use that Green Iron Hauberk for your tanking set and keep the Steel Breastplate for your DPS set, until you get replacements.

I'd also suggesting glyphing up, at least the primary slots. I'd go with Glyph of Mortal Strike for Arms, Glyph of Shield Slam for Prot.

Specwise... In Protection, Shield Mastery and Bastion of Defense are both more important than Incite. I don't know that it'd be worth respeccing, but that's where your next two points should go, if nothing else. In Arms, Second Wind and Improved Hamstring are both (99.9999%) PvP talents, and you don't appear to be PvPing. You don't really get slowed/snared in dungeons, and it's very rare that you need to slow/snare anything yourself. Definitely finish off Impale and Taste for Blood before you put any more into Imp Ham. (And if you're willing to respec, skip them entirely, burn whatever points you have to in either Blitz or Drums of War to get further down the tree.)

That's all sort of nitty gritty, though. It's not as if these talent choices will make you really bad or anything. They're just not as helpful as they could be, sort of like the Strength/Spirit gear.

I'd recommend trying DPS in dungeons first. There's a bit less pressure, and your gear is mostly leaning that way anyway. Get your feet wet, see how things go, learn the general idea. Watch how the tank does things. Then, if you're interested in tanking, jump right in and just take it a bit slower than whatever tanks you were watching. And, especially as a tank, let your groups know you're new.
Reply Quote
71 Human Warrior
went ahead and bought a few more peices. and following advice here more to strength.

though the realy good ones are out of my price range for the moment. Printing out some of the advice for items so i can hunt them better.

thank you for the advice all of you. :)
johannette upgraded a bit
Reply Quote
went ahead and bought a few more peices. and following advice here more to strength.

though the realy good ones are out of my price range for the moment. Printing out some of the advice for items so i can hunt them better.

thank you for the advice all of you. :)
johannette upgraded a bit

I really, really don't recommend buying or enchanting gear at your level, especially since this is your first character. You are going to outlevel and replace them very rapidly, especially if you start doing dungeons. When you queue as DPS at your level, very few people care about what your DPS is. (Tanks typically dominate recount in lowbie dungeon anyway.) Just remember the type of gear you want (in short, Strength plate, two-hander for arms, one hander + shield for prot), and keep an eye out for any upgrades you come across.

Save your gold. You'll almost certainly need it later.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
yea save your gold It used to be 60 was a fairly expensive level, thankfully they have reduce the cost of somethings and lowered the level others could be purchased

But when I leveled my first hunter to 70 I had to shell out nearly 1000 gold for Class training, Fast mount and training. It pretty much left me broke for a while.

things are different now, but I still do not buy gear when I am leveling and I do not start enchanting /gemming gear til I am 70+ Even then I do not use the top level chants.

So save your gold.

If your in a guild sometimes friends are leveling up profs and they may have some gear that they are giving away.. I pretty much give away the gear I make .. until I reach level 80+gear and then that goes into the AH and into the guild Vault
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]