Blacksmithing just sucks...

97 Worgen Warrior
I have leveled almost every profession to at least 400 so far and I have a gripe with Blacksmithing.

It seems most of the stuff I make just sucks or is used very shortly before being replaced by a dungeon blue in LFD. All the mining I have done goes straight into leveling this nearly useless profession

Why cant I make anything useful? There should be some BoP weapons and Armor available to blacksmiths every 5 levels or so. I will be handing down my Heirloom weapon and I do not have anything to replace it. I will be punching in LFD before long...

My alchemists has a nice Trinket and Endless potions. He can also transmute for dough.

My gatherers make ton of money with herbs, leather and ore.

My Enchanter makes money and can buff enchant their rings. I also DE all the crap my blacksmith makes.

My engineer can make some nice goggles.

My tailor can xmute cloths for dough and use embroidery.

My leatherworker can give a nice bracer enchant. Also makes a lot of crap

My scribe, i get nice shoulder enchants easily.

My jewelcrafter makes money and some nice personal gems.

My blacksmith CAN socket gloves and bracers, but finding the proper gem for that ilevel can be difficult. I have to go that extra mile, not to mention how expensive it is to level.

So is Blacksmithing the worse profession?
Reply Quote
97 Worgen Warrior
you make it sound that the blacksmith socket sucks and the other profession's bonus stats dont when blacksmiths give the highest stat in the end. (2 50 stat gems)

Blacksmithing is fine.

Bonus stats are useless if you do not have any real means to getting them. Gems have an ilevel requirement. I can't put 50 str gems on my Wrath gear. If I could I wouldn't be complaining.

Honestly, just bring back some nice Rare BoP weapons and armor for each expansion that are cheap to make. leatherworking could get this too.
Edited by Maxthorn on 5/9/2012 2:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
98 Blood Elf Rogue
You can buy Cardinal Rubies and all other Wrath epic gems in Dalaran for 220 Justice points each. Assuming you're in a guild that has the "For Great Justice" perk (at least level 18), you can acquire 220 Justice points by running ONE random dungeon at level 85.

Since you have so many alts, I'm sure at least one of them can spare the justice to get the gems if you can't be bothered to run a dungeon. Then you can have your jewelcrafter cut the gems.

Seems a real enough method of getting gems to me. Although this information probably isn't much use to you at your current level. Ideally you could have had wrath epics in your bracers the second you hit level 65 and got to 400 blacksmithing.

Blacksmithing is fine.

Although I do agree the previously removed Weaponsmithing and Armorsmithing recipes should be returned and made BoE. Simply doing that would make a transmoggers happy as well as provide some blacksmiths with an additional source of income. Adding new recipes for 'nice Rare BoP weapons and armor for each expansion that are cheap to make' seems superflous to me. That niche is already filled by heirlooms.
Reply Quote
This game isn't based around level 80 anymore. That style of play is unsupported.
Reply Quote
97 Worgen Warrior
Blacksmithing is not self sufficient like other professions. 220 Justice is about 20+ runs in my 70's. Why do I have to do so much as a Blacksmith then anything else?

To get a red gem from wrath I have to go mining and prey I get one from a node, or prospect one from the ore, which in turn his a huge opportunity cost. AH on my server has been pretty empty for BC/Wrath gems.

Checked my bags, I have zero red gems, 4 chalcedony, 1 green, 1 orange.
Edited by Maxthorn on 5/9/2012 4:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
No offense but just level and dont worry about the gem sockets. As for comparing costs, the chimera eye you use for your jcing gem could be sold for 100g on my server, much more than a 30 strength gem. Yes smithing's bonus costs money and its not as fun as it was in BC with the specializations, but blacksmithing is just as good as all the other profs. I much prefer knowing what ill get when i make an item as opposed to my lw who might get caster or melee gear when he makes something.
Reply Quote
98 Blood Elf Rogue
Blacksmithing is not self sufficient like other professions. 220 Justice is about 20+ runs in my 70's. Why do I have to do so much as a Blacksmith then anything else?

I think you've answered you own question here. The blacksmithing perk never was and never has been 'self sufficient' to obtain. Blacksmithing is the only profession who's perk is entirely dependent on another profession - Jewelcrafting. How much you get out of your blacksmithing perk is entirely dependent on the quality of the gem you can socket.

In your original post you alternatively compare the other professions in terms of ease of which the perk can be gained, wether or not you can make money from it, and wether or not it has a profession specific bonus. While all the other professions have at least one of these, blacksmithing doesn't currently have any. Since blacksmiths require gems, they inherently have to do more in order to get their perk. Even more so if they want the 'best' gems available. Blacksmiths made scads of money at the beginning of Cata as the source of some of the best plate preraid and raid gear. However subsequent raid tier recipes were often trumped by raid drops, valor gear, and rep rewards. Also with the removal of the Weaponsmithing and Armorsmithing recipes during The Shattering (new) blacksmiths lost their profession specific bonus.

So what you seem to want is a 'self sufficient' perk AND a profession specific bonus. My mistake in my earlier post was thinking that you just wanted a suggestion on how to acquire the gems you were missing. -Though the point made in that post does still stand.

I've already said that I think that the previously removed Weaponsmithing and Armorsmithing recipes should be returned. It seems simple enough and would not require any new models or development. They can even put back the quests associated with them so that everyone has to put in at least some effort to get them. They can either stay profession specific and BoP or make them BoE so that blacksmiths can sell them for money. That's 1 or 2 of your profession criteria right there.

As far as a 'self sufficient' blacksmithing perk goes I agree with that too. It would stop any future debacles involving jewelcrafting blacksmiths and epic gems. As well as it would bring blacksmithing more in line with the other professions. To that I suggest:

Manticite Engraving - Agility/Intellect/Strength/Stamina/Mastery
5 sec cast
Requires Cloth Armor, Leather Armor, Mail Armor, Plate Armor
Reagents: 10 Manticite Bar

Fortify your gloves by engraving them with Manticite, permanently increasing Agility/Intellect/Strength/Stamina/Mastery by 500.

Engraving your gloves causes them to become soulbound. The engraving requires at least 575 skill in Blacksmithing to remain active.

Of course the values for Stamina and Mastery would probably have to be adjusted. Also 'engraving' may not be the right word. But 'embossing' and 'filigree' have already been taken by leatherworking and jewelcrafting. But you get the idea. The downside would be that those who have only levelled blacksmithing up to 400 for the sockets would have to level up more to get the Mists of Pandaria level perk. In addition, an ilvl restriction would have to be added to the Wrath sockets so that you cannot put Mists gems into them. It seems like a viable solution to me. But of course someone will come in here and tear it apart as many forum people do. Regardless it seems as if this is more of the kind of response you were looking for.

Edit: spelling and punctuation. I tend to make mistakes when I'm excessively long winded. which is often.
Edited by Rolaren on 5/9/2012 6:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
05/09/2012 02:10 PMPosted by Maxthorn
Why cant I make anything useful?

Replace "leatherworker" with "blacksmith" "bracer enchant" with "glove and bracer socket" and you will see that your complaint is basically about nothing.

I have leveled almost every profession to at least 400 so far and I have a gripe with Blacksmithing.

Well if you're not maxed in the profession of course it is going to seem to have no benefit for you.....my Druid is only level 300something LW can I has upgrades to it too?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
you make it sound that the blacksmith socket sucks and the other profession's bonus stats dont when blacksmiths give the highest stat in the end. (2 50 stat gems)

Blacksmithing is fine.

No, blacksmithing is NOT fine, read this excellent post from the beta forums by misseve:

"I wish to apologize right now if this post turns a bit ranty or negative. With that said, I have some... complaints about how blacksmiths have been treated lately.During Vanilla and Burning Crusade, we had this wonderful little thing called armorsmithing and weaponsmithing.

Sure, they were bind-on-pick up, but they added something unique and interesting for blacksmiths to have.Burning Crusade was amazing for those smiths as well; we were able to make one item, then progressively upgrade them as time went on. Sure, it cost a lot of materials to do, but it was really benefitial to a smith and gave them something to be proud of.Then Wrath of the Lich King came around... and I'm not sure if you just ran out of ideas to do with the profession or what, but there were so little things a blacksmith could do for themselves.

All of our specialized smithing plans weren't even epics; they were blue items that a level 77 could use, and didn't even offer anything really interesting other than a weapon that was easily upgraded from a normal drop. Later on in the expansion, you removed weapon and armorsmithing altogether.Why?It seems that lately, in my experience at least, a blacksmith's skill and use has increasingly becoming more... useless. In Wrath of the Lick King, we at least could have made titansteel (I am a miner as well) ourselves. Eventually we were able to purchase primordial saronite with our points, which was helpful. We didn't have to rely on a raid leader to give us what we needed, and we saved quite a bit of money.In Cataclysm? Forget it.

Sure, we can socket our gloves and bracers, and can sell an extra socket for belt buckles... but that's it. If I need to make something, it costs me even more money to shell out than I would make back if I were to sell an item. That was it. We made money, sure... at the very beginning of the expansion, where people were buying our craftable weapons and armor up quickly.Now? I'm lucky if I can save up enough of anything, gold or otherwise, if I can make something that's current content. Aside from the addition of a few extra sockets, there is literally nothing interesting about blacksmiths right now that I can think of.If you aren't going to add anything else that blacksmiths can do or create other than basic gear... can we at least have a return of armor and weaponsmithing specializations? If we can have these back... it'd be much appreciated.

Sincerely, a concerned smith. "

That says it better than I could, I could never understand why Blizz went backwards with blacksmithing
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
05/10/2012 04:30 AMPosted by Argeleb
That says it better than I could, I could never understand why Blizz went backwards with blacksmithing

Blizz went backwards with blacksmithing because they made a mistake and made the upgradable items too good. People, in pvp expecially, felt they had to drop whatever prof they had and pick up blacksmithing to stay competetive. Blizzards lazy answer was to make all profs have a similair bonus so no one felt compelled to switch. They could have put out some effort and come up with special items that werent over powered yet choose not to. Doing this took some of the fun out of the game for me and many others.
Reply Quote
96 Human Rogue
05/09/2012 08:06 PMPosted by Eyghon
Why cant I make anything useful?

Replace "leatherworker" with "blacksmith" "bracer enchant" with "glove and bracer socket" and you will see that your complaint is basically about nothing.

Well if you're not maxed in the profession of course it is going to seem to have no benefit for you.....my Druid is only level 300something LW can I has upgrades to it too?

You obviously didnt read the post did you.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I hate blacksmithing. I make almost no money off of it. If you compare it to any other prof its one of the worst.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
07/31/2012 04:05 PMPosted by Paltheon
I hate blacksmithing. I make almost no money off of it. If you compare it to any other prof its one of the worst.

wise from your gwave

Anyway, BS was huge when Cata first dropped. My friend who got me into WoW made a fortune the first month or two of Cata. I wasn't around for previous expac releases (I know, I'm the worst person on the planet) but I suspect it was the same story and it looks as though MoP will be similar. I'm finally leveling up my long-neglected mining/BS alt in preparation, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
07/31/2012 05:28 PMPosted by Pyri
Anyway, BS was huge when Cata first dropped. My friend who got me into WoW made a fortune the first month or two of Cata. I wasn't around for previous expac releases (I know, I'm the worst person on the planet) but I suspect it was the same story and it looks as though MoP will be similar. I'm finally leveling up my long-neglected mining/BS alt in preparation, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Actually as BS main I will probably be pushing my JC and inscriptions alts at the start of Mop and neglecting my Blacksmithing.

The leveling patterns are not worth the effort over normal quest gear and by the time you have the better patterns you will have heroic/lfr/raid gear. Yes their will be one or two good items per tier but no rush to get BS high enough to use them.
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Death Knight
07/31/2012 04:05 PMPosted by Paltheon

Then drop it?
Reply Quote
88 Gnome Rogue
I like blacksmithing and the socket bonus to gloves and bracers. I wish blizzard would bring back sword/mace/axe/armor specializations. I really enjoyed the quest line. It was nice having a blacksmith only weapon/armor the could be leveled up through questing and gathering. I wish blizzard would have expanded that to more professions giving them each unique craftable specialization that can be leveled up via quest, scenarios, non-heroic, heroic instances and eventually raids.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
i agree blacksmith is boring. yesterday i finally got this guy to 600 been stuck at 465 in wrath/cata idR. haven't played him in awhile fig when i got to 600 there would be something cool to make for myself BoP, but nope. And you're telling me my trip to winterspring was wasted when i picked my weapon smithingg.. sheeesh.
Edited by Hellcream on 1/11/2013 7:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
6+ month necro.
Reply Quote
65 Human Priest
It seems most of the stuff I make just sucks or is used very shortly before being replaced by a dungeon blue in LFD. All the mining I have done goes straight into leveling this nearly useless profession

Why cant I make anything useful? There should be some BoP weapons and Armor available to blacksmiths every 5 levels or so. I will be handing down my Heirloom weapon and I do not have anything to replace it. I will be punching in LFD before long...

My alchemists has a nice Trinket and Endless potions. He can also transmute for dough.

My gatherers make ton of money with herbs, leather and ore.

My Enchanter makes money and can buff enchant their rings. I also DE all the crap my blacksmith makes.

My engineer can make some nice goggles.

My tailor can xmute cloths for dough and use embroidery.

My scribe, i get nice shoulder enchants easily.

My jewelcrafter makes money and some nice personal gems.

My blacksmith CAN socket gloves and bracers, but finding the proper gem for that ilevel can be difficult. I have to go that extra mile, not to mention how expensive it is to level.

So is Blacksmithing the worse profession?

I totally agree!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]