Nutrition question

90 Troll Shaman
All of the daily recommended intake values for different nutrients I've seen are based around a 2000 calorie diet. But what would proper intake values be for, say, a 2500 calorie diet?

You would obviously need more fat, protein, and carbs to have a higher calorie diet, but I can't really find any info on any non-caloric nutrients. For example, the recommended intake for sodium is 2300mg daily for a 2000 calorie diet. Could you take in more sodium on a 2500 calorie diet or would that put you at risk for serious side effects?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
230mg would be very low. I think you mean 2300mg? Anyway, to your question, yes most people would stick to the 2300mg a day recommened even though your kcals have gone up. However if you are at risk for HBP, then i'd say around 1500mg would be safe. The only time extra sodium should be introduced is if your are an extreme athlete who needs to replace your sodium reserves after or during extreme workouts. (long distance running, power lifting)

As far as the 3 energy sources, Fat, Carbs and Protein, an ideal diet is 40%carbs, 30%proteins, 30%fats. Of course this is subject to change depending on goals.

So for you, your kcal should be (remember fat=9kcal, carb=4kcal, protein=4kcal)

Carbs- 1000kcal (250g of carbs)
Fats- 750kcal (83g of fat)
Proteins-750kcal (188g of protein)
Edited by Thatche on 5/11/2012 9:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]