Are you becoming your character?

90 Blood Elf Priest
Found this on Reddit. It's about experience-taking, which is a phenomenon in which people acquire qualities and behaviors of characters they identify with in books. I can certainly see this applying in roleplay as well.

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/exptaking.htm

I've noticed that many people either consciously or accidentally create their characters with similar or identical personalities, physical traits, and life experiences.

I made Ruvias to be my opposite, though we do share a couple similarities. I often muse jokingly about how I should be more like her; I'll admit, she's certainly a better individual than I am.

The article leads us to ask...

Are you becoming your character?
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
I'm not dead, so...
Reply Quote
88 Human Warlock
05/14/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Kellinath
I wish I was a badas$, large-hammer wielding red-headed paladin with a bangin' hot Draenei lifemate.

And I wish I was a paranoid blondie who is an acolyte of a coven. But we can't always get what we want.
Edited by Sharlynna on 5/14/2012 5:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
I share a desire for solitude and love of geology with my character. That's about it, though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
My characters wish they were as bad-!@#$ as me.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
If my neck starts to grow tentacles I'm going to the hospital.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
The only thing I can think of is me beginning to say 'meself' IRL.

I really hope I don't become -any- more like Ferenold, though. Guy has issues! :<
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I've been RPing while at work for years. In hospitality you do have to be on the ball at the time with a smile and full attention, then go back into your cave when it's quiet and pop the laptop back on.

So, when RPing at work I have to be careful of not RPing a deep, emotionally angry or sad scene or else I may come up less than chipper to my guests. Or even when I'm supervising, it can effect my employees (although I stopped work-RP when I was a manager).

One character, years ago, I actually made a to help me get through stressful days. She was very chipper and overly helpful, it really did help my job, oddly enough, and got me great reviews.

Now, though, I'm better at disconnecting the emotions between my guests and my RP, but I still have to be careful what I play.
Edited by Salley on 5/14/2012 5:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
My characters tend to become more like me than vice versa. Audracy's always been pretty sarcastic, though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
About the only thing we share is not talking unless absolutely necessary.
Reply Quote
I'm always described as elusive and so is Ana.

Hrmmmmm

How so? I think you don't tend to avoid self-revelation and you do not respond indirectly to things. Maybe it is something that is thrown up to people who you are not married too.

In a sense, I become like Moorwhelp every day and in a sense he adopts my own tendencies in the same ways. His philosophical understanding is often modeled after my own studies and what mood I am in philosophically; admittedly, it is difficult to explain things of metaphysical nature when you feel no true passion towards them. Often I tend to look at role-play as perspective play and a chance to look within yourself from a third person view.

I think role-play characters often start as ideas that we want to make manifest for ourselves; things that we, for whatever reason, can not be, we are attracted to in roleplay. Through this discovery of what things are really like in the unobtainable, we can develop our opinions and discover ourselves and what we want for us.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
05/14/2012 06:01 PMPosted by Moorwhelp
I think role-play characters often start as ideas that we want to make manifest for ourselves; things that we, for whatever reason, can not be, we are attracted to in roleplay. Through this discovery of what things are really like in the unobtainable, we can develop our opinions and discover ourselves and what we want for us.

Very nicely put.
Reply Quote
Me? Like Stax?

...I wish.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Me? Like Stax?

...I wish.

Aim higher... Pringles are where it's at!

Once you pop, you can't stop!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I am a sexy female barista with a chill disposition but a love for the mischievous.

My character is a sexy male troll with a power complex but makes an effort to be well intentioned.

We've both got the sexy part down.
Reply Quote
Me? Like Stax?

...I wish.

Aim higher... Pringles are where it's at!

Once you pop, you can't stop!

Mediocrity is as high as I can realistically aim for. Any higher and I'm sure to fall.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]