As a GM, what annoys you?

12 Undead Priest
By and large nothing annoys me as a GM..... except one thing, and it drives me nuts.... people who sign up for events that NEVER attend events. For instance, last night we had 14 confirmed and 4 tentative to kill the whale shark. Other than me, how many showed up?

Absolutely NONE.

I understand that real life can come into play, but these folks never attend what they sign up for..... and last night I cut short a personal real life event to make sure I was there for the whale killing.

So, that's my pet peeve.... what are yours?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
People who come into a guild expecting the guild to be a service. This is especially true of new members. I don't want my guldies to feel obligated to run people all day. I don't run a financing center for people too lazy to get gold to buy their own riding training.

When people stay and become members of my guild community, they will find out that we do give a lot of goodies. And that we help each other pretty much every day. But if you come in with the expectation that you're going to be able to get a bunch of run-throughs, have people do your quests for you, get whatever you need from day one and that everyone has to drop what they are doing to cater to you, or that asking for gold (even a loan) before we even get to know you, you will never experience it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Both of the above have happened to me, but the sign-up thing really irks me as well. I was pleasantly surprised when practically everybody who signed up last night for a raid did show up, it renewed my hope.

One thing in addition is someone who's in my guild but raids full time with some other group, even though our guild runs need people (and it's not like we're bad... we're 4th on the server currently and all of our alt runs are full clears). If they do that then they should join another guild and use their money for repairs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
If you have a dedicated raiding guild, Elg, you might make that a rule - that current raids should be reserved for your guild. Do you have different amounts of repair for different rank? Maybe you can put that person in a rank with no or less repair ability.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
05/12/2012 08:30 AMPosted by Sarabande
If you have a dedicated raiding guild, Elg, you might make that a rule - that current raids should be reserved for your guild. Do you have different amounts of repair for different rank? Maybe you can put that person in a rank with no or less repair ability.

I have already done that. But the fact that this happens at all irks me.
Reply Quote
I am not a GM but I can tell you what annoys me...

A GM who said he wants to do all thew recruiting because he only wants quality players and then has sat on his rear end for the last 24 days with nary a new member in sight.

and I have been doing all the guild leveling by myself.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
My pet peeve is kind of like yours Silly.

I've gotten rid of them all now, but I had a handful of members once upon a time who would whine incessantly about how the guild never did anything, and then promptly stood the rest of us up every. single. time. something was scheduled.

Drove me insane.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I have to agree with the OP. That is a huge peeve for me too!
Edited by Namastewife on 5/15/2012 7:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This guild has morphed over time, from a leveling guild, to a casual but raiding 3 nights a week guild, to questing and leveling, to attempting to raid but not being able to keep reliable times, to casual, and now I'm trying to get us moved into a 'casual guild that sometimes raids'.

What I've found most difficult is to get people on the same page. We've been going after older content for achievements but not everyone wants to do what I've put on the calendar, or don't want to do it at the time/day that is already scheduled. I wish I could work things around other times for the three people that have emailed me in game asking for different times, but the majority cannot make those times due to jobs. I can pull 4 attendees out of my own house on alts if need be, since the whole family plays, but that won't be enough for some of the things they want to do. Maybe I just feel like I'm going to let someone down no matter what I do.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Have to agree with the OP also. We are a social guild and do some raiding together. And it always drives me crazy when an event is set up, and no one shows that signed up. But what is even better, 45 minutes after the start of the event, one of the signed up logs on and goes, " Is it to late, can i still join?"
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
My Pet peaves

Players who Complain the guild never does anything... but never attend events that are set up and never takes the initiative and create his own events.

I tell all my guildies.. the guild is what you make it, I am just here to help make things run smoothly and help enforce the rules.

That is the main one.
Reply Quote
12 Undead Priest
Thanks for the replies..... funny thing is that while we just started raiding, they always seem to make those.... which is cool, but c'mon make an event that you signed up for.
Reply Quote
22 Human Warlock
How about membership not getting behind a change in voice servers? We went from vent (hate it) to something else cheaper, better performing etc and now listening to people saying, 'there will be people who 'cant' do this change'...

Pretty dissappointing as a gm...

Its equivalent to a raider saying, 'no, I'm not gonna flask or dual pot on this progression fight'...
Reply Quote
If that is the case, you need a new and better guild. Not to sound mean, but its fact.

As a guild leader I can relate to all of the posts here. It does however boil down to the type of members you have. Remember, its the members that make your guild, not you as the GL. You may have created the guild, but you didnt make it. You see my point?

I see your point. The thing is that he and I started the guild. We are almost to level 2 now and have 1, yes 1 member that is not me or him.

I recruited about 10 people but he kicked them all.

Guess it is time for a new guild.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
see your point. The thing is that he and I started the guild. We are almost to level 2 now and have 1, yes 1 member that is not me or him.

I recruited about 10 people but he kicked them all.

Guess it is time for a new guild.

Ahh . . . at this point, it's pretty much a glorified bank guild. :P

Could be you and your GM aren't compatible in the guild, and have different ideas of what you both want. Though it doesn't sound like your GM wants anything more than a Vault. As for recruiting, if you decide to stay, ask him just what kind of people he wants, and why he kicked out those people. If he doesn't know or won't tell you, yeah - find a guild that's suitable for you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
05/12/2012 04:04 PMPosted by Sshadowfalls
Players who Complain the guild never does anything... but never attend events that are set up and never takes the initiative and create his own events.

This is actually a major pet peeve of mine as well. Thankfully at the moment I haven't got anyone like that in the guild, but awhile ago I did. It drove me nuts.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I am not a GM but I can tell you what annoys me...

A GM who said he wants to do all thew recruiting because he only wants quality players and then has sat on his rear end for the last 24 days with nary a new member in sight.

and I have been doing all the guild leveling by myself.

If that is the case, you need a new and better guild. Not to sound mean, but its fact.

As a guild leader I can relate to all of the posts here. It does however boil down to the type of members you have. Remember, its the members that make your guild, not you as the GL. You may have created the guild, but you didnt make it. You see my point?

Now on my ALTs, I have a different take as a new member of a guild.

The biggest thing that bothers me with a lot of guilds is their self-righteous attitude when recruiting. They act like joining or applying to their guild is an honor, and being accepted is an even bigger honor. "You’re applying to us, not we to you!," they’ll say, and then add, "And we don’t owe you anything." While it’s very true that the recruit is applying to your guild, and you’re busy judging to see whether or not he/she will pass the trial, he/she is assessing the guild just as meticulously.

They are watching how you handle loot, issue raid invites, discipline people for mistakes, and how well they fit in. They want to know if this guild is for them just as much as you want to know if their for your guild.

Leadership never seem to remember that it’s just as important to make sure the members are happy. Treat them with respect, answer their questions, and don’t make them feel like their wasting your time when they ask you questions, simply because their a recruit. Remember, without recruits, your guild would never be successful.

In the end, treating new members with respect and making them feel important right from the beginning is also good for your guild’s growth. A lot of the members of your guild are with you today because how at home they felt initially, and it definitely helps contribute to the overall feel of your guild.

Just wanted to back this up. While our guild rarely has a problem with new recruits, it's generally because we encourage people to welcome new people with open arms. We do have rules against begging/spamming, but we try to be active, friendly, and a bit silly while still enforcing rules of respect.

It's a tricky balance. The way to encourage members to start thinking more about what they can do for the guild is to make sure they see what the guild gives them as new recruits. It's much easier to become excited to help the guild out when you feel like an important part.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
My issues with players:

1.) Back in the day if you ran a raiding guild it was Know your class or GTFO, but now its become so casual that people are too lazy to figure out the "hard stuff" like their correct rotation, changing stat priorities, different spec bonuses on separate fights. Honestly I don't mind teaching people new content, helping them with an unfamiliar class thats an alt. But when I have to do the research, analyze their gear/gems/enchants/spec/DPS/ etc I get a little bugged.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy making sure my players are reaching their potential I just cant stand to hold their hands!! I remember in BC if I wasnt performing my job as the "buff afflic lock" and pulling enough in addition to that then I wasnt brought to the raid. Now if you do that you get people who complain and dont care to understand why you do this and "punishing" them sometimes results in a gquit...

2.) Not accepting or declining invitations. I remember when using addons or websites for calendars was NOT Optional and if you didn't say you were coming you were SOL. I try to be relatively strict on this issue just because there needs to be some sort of consequence for not showing, being late, etc. I don't want people to get the idea that we can't live without them and its only going to hurt them if they dont do like they should, only problem is that with being a small guild on a crappy population server it makes it hard to enforce. I do want people to realize they are raiding because its fun, we like playing with them, we want to progress and be ranked, etc. But I don't want people to take advantage of the fact that even if they don't accept an invite i'll still bring them because I have no other choice, and sadly right now this is the case...

3.) Players growing less helpful with guild events, guild needs, etc. Again I remember back when everyone helped out the guild bank. You said something needed to be done and everyone who could pitch in did a lot of the time they did without asking. Now I keep getting the feeling that players are even more in it for themselves than they use to be. If they don't get something out of it then they could care less.

I've had a few people like that in my guild from time to time and they are dealt with quickly. It just seems more prevalent even with people who've been playing for years. Heck we had two players who were in it together just to get the legendary rogue daggers and then decided they were going to go back to pvping when that was just what they did on the side. I could keep going about how bad legendaries are but yea....same idea persists.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------
--------------------

It just seems that with the way people are now since the game has changed and a lot of things are just given or expected to be given there is less respect for authority in guilds then there was in the past. I know everyone is different and there are ways to handle those situations but regardless they all bug the crap out of me!!

I've been here done that, dealt with it, move past it, and found more stuff to look forward to . But it doesnt change the fact that the players in this game are changing, not entirely for the better. I know I'm not the only one who sees this.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I think the things that annoy me are a little more... personal, shall we say. I think the thing that annoys me the most is being bombarded with whispers the second I log in. Sometimes I even hear the whisper sound before the load screen disappears.

Another thing that annoys me: people who don't read the website. I'm not talking about casual threads or random pictures, but information about MoP professions, leveling, which main people are going to play. I get tells about, "Hey when are we gonna talk about MoP?" Well hey, if you read the website, you'd see a discussion already underway. It makes me want to smash things.

I don't really have issues with raiding, attendance, stats, gems, etc.; I refuse to hand-hold in my guild, so my raiders know what is expected of them, and 99% of the time, they're on the ball.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]