32 Bit vs 64 Bit

85 Orc Warrior
I am just wonder if I can play World of Warcraft on a 32 Bit computer, I am currently on my Laptop with 64 Bit but it says my new computer is 32 Bit, Can I download it? If not can I upgrade my computer to 64 Bit?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
The standard game client is 32 bit. You have to actually install the 64 bit files and then use the 64bit launcher to play in 64 bit. Just run the regular launcher.exe and you will start in 32bit.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
To use the 64-bit client, both the hardware and the OS have to be 64-bit. Any computer made within the last 5 years is going to have 64-bit hardware, but it's possible you have a 32-bit OS. 64-bit computers can run a 32-bit OS, but a 32-bit OS cannot run 64-bit software even if the hardware supports it.

If you want to see if your OS is 64-bit or not, right click on either "My computer" (Windows XP) or "Computer" (Windows 7) and click properties. If it is 64-bit, it will say 64-bit OS in the description. If the OS is NOT 64-bit, you will need to get the 64-bit version in order to run 64-bit software. A 64-bit OS will not run on 32-bit hardware, but a 32-bit OS WILL run on 64-bit hardware. But, as I said before, any hardware made within the last 5 years is going to be 64-bit anyway.
Edited by Mogrigg on 5/12/2012 1:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Warlock
05/12/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Silvêr
I am just wonder if I can play World of Warcraft on a 32 Bit computer, I am currently on my Laptop with 64 Bit but it says my new computer is 32 Bit, Can I download it? If not can I upgrade my computer to 64 Bit?

If you are getting a message that you have a 32-bit operating system installed then you actually do have a 32-bit operating system installed.

The 64-bit client is going through testing, you can use it, but its not really supported.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Thanks for all the information guys, I really appreciate it! :)
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
So it said I had 64-Bit OS so that means I will be able to run Mists of Pandaria on it, right?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
05/13/2012 07:57 AMPosted by Silvêr
So it said I had 64-Bit OS so that means I will be able to run Mists of Pandaria on it, right?

Um, MOP does not require 64-bit to run. It SUPPORTS it, in the same way that the current live client supports 64-bit if you want to enable it, the difference being MOP will have the 64-bit client available by default (you won't have to download extra files).

But if you have a 64-bit OS/hardware, there is really no reason to not use the 64-bit client.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]