Are gamers aging?

90 Undead Warlock
Hi there,
I am a fourty five year old gamer. Am I the exception or the rule?
Where can one find stats on this?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I saw somwhere that the average age of a gamer is in the mid to late 30's - so you're not the exception :)
Reply Quote
61 Night Elf Rogue
39 in December! :)
Reply Quote
15 Blood Elf Rogue
The average game player is 37 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.
The average age of the most frequent game purchaser is 41 years old.
Forty-two percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (37 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (13 percent).

http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I am 46 and i have been gaming since about 1994 or so. I find that as i get older i want more and more detail in a game yet game design seems to be heading towards simplicity. I play alot of Bethesda published games my favorite is Fallout New Vegas, even with the occasional glitch the depth of character customization, the detail of the world, the crafting interface, and the depth of the design also makes just about any character build viable. For example if you can not hack the terminal that locked the door if your lock picking is up enough you can pick it, or vice versa. Suppose you have neither skill well the dude close by has the key or code so kill him and loot the key. You can also by having your diplomacy skill high enough talk the key out of thier possession or buy it. Or you can even with high enough stealth pick thisr pocket for the key.

The depth of game play is just absolutely amazing. There is very little to compare that depth too and as i see what i can only term the ADHD of the typical gamer that kind of depth is slowely going away being replaced by shallow detailess games. The current example is Diablo 3 which has none of the depth of character builds that you had in Diablo 2 and that is a shame and the reason why when my buddy showed it to me i decided to pass on it. If i want to play Call of Duty i will buy Call of Duty, just because evey game on the market wants to emulate it does not mean i will play it.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
33 years old and been gaming since I was 6, in the mid 80's. This has always been my favourite entertainment medium because it is interactive, engaging, and moves at whatever pace I'm in the mood for. I think it has measurable benefits for people of any age - observation, problem solving, collaboration, communication, comprehension, and basic brain exercise.

It's been over a quarter of a century since the Nintendo Entertainment System was first available which explains why there are so many gamers in their 30's and 40's today.

My parents are approaching their 60's and for their last anniversary I bought them a couple of gamepads and a copy of Dr. Mario. My mom also loves Bejeweled-type games and my dad likes Solitaire.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
I can't believe women 18 and older play more than boys 17 and younger. I would have never guessed that.

I'm 26 by the way. Very interesting subject.
Reply Quote
7 Troll Mage
it would be nice to fine ppl thta is around your age to play with i get so board just doing nothing now days i love to dungeon and raid
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
lol im only 21 i feel like im still a kid in this forum
Reply Quote
7 Troll Mage
if any one is on blackwater raiders and need a running buddy please let me now i just lost mine and now the game is no fun for me i am so board so please look me up there
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]