Both sides of the Fall of Theramore are out.

90 Troll Rogue
Having Jaina use the Focusing Iris to destroy a Horde gunship is very compelling in my opinion.

Yes, what we need is another gunship biting the dust. Really, have there been any that haven't gone and crashed?

You can have your dumb city if it means my floaty boat can stay in the air for once.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It's getting to the point where so many Horde gunships have been shot down, Alliance too really, that they're really losing their impact. That aside, we don't know what Jaina's doing with a Focusing Iris. She could just be using it to control the massive flood of conjured Alliance tears.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
OOB
I absolutely despise the scenario.

HOW INCREDIBLY IDIOTIC does the alliance look here? I mean you can only beat someone with a dumb bat so much before it becomes stupid. The writers for WoW are progressively becoming worse than better.

There's a horde ship sitting right there in the harbor, and the 7th fleet ships are just chilling back, letting themselves get docked and blown up by a small force. Yeah ok, small group just annihilated a squadron of alliance ships.

And not just that, this small force docks and assaults from the harbor. Like wtf? That's where the strength of theramore is?

I was ready for some massive incursion that would leave a shattered Theramore, I wasn't ready for !@#$ty story telling.

I'm so freaking over this game and the people that write it.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
I'm going to wait for more information to pass judgement on the scenario, but one concern I have at the moment(like the one above me) is that the Horde doean't look like it's throwing an army at Theramore. I think having a bunch of Horde ships surrounding Theramore would be a big improvement to the feel of it even if they didn't impact gameplay at all.

If it's only supposed to be a strike team then while I don't think I'd like it much, I won't complain because it's the story Blizzard wants to tell.
Edited by Erthad on 5/19/2012 9:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
At worst, Horde players are going to come away from this thinking "Well, that was easy"
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 08:30 PMPosted by Erthad
If it's Only supposed to be a strike team then while I don't think I'd like it much, I won't complain because it's the story Blizzard wants to tell.

Consider that "strike teams" have accomplished way, way more throughout the entirety of WoW's history than any number of fleets, even brought down whole enemy cities (Blackrock Depths, for starters).
Reply Quote
55 Dwarf Warrior
05/19/2012 09:15 PMPosted by Madisel
If it's Only supposed to be a strike team then while I don't think I'd like it much, I won't complain because it's the story Blizzard wants to tell.

Consider that "strike teams" have accomplished way, way more throughout the entirety of WoW's history than any number of fleets, even brought down whole enemy cities (Blackrock Depths, for starters).

Except in BRD we largely killed civilians and scientists, workers and police man. We didn't face their standing army. We didn't bring down the city. We went in, assassinated the emperor, and left before the army could respond.

This would be a strike team actually taking down a city.
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 09:19 PMPosted by Galwen
This would be a strike team actually taking down a city.

Then take Zul'Gurub and Zul'Aman. It may have been "assassination," but both dungeons involved having to go through all of each city's most powerful spellcasters and formidable military personalities, so it was an extremely messy assassination.
Reply Quote
55 Dwarf Warrior

Then take Zul'Gurub and Zul'Aman

Both of which, lore wise, had support from other factions.
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 09:38 PMPosted by Galwen

Why couldn't there be any similar (i.e. nonplayer) support here?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Frankly, players are always unstoppable juggernauts who are only restrained by the storyline. They could always add a few mechanics to the Horde scenario to give it more of an infiltration feel, but really, when in WoW's history has a party attacking a city ever run into anything other than packs of mobs standing still, waiting to be pulled?
Reply Quote
55 Dwarf Warrior

Why couldn't there be any similar (i.e. nonplayer) support here?

Because it's not shown?

That was part of the complaint. That it only looked like there was one horde ship at the docks, and not an invasion fleet.

With ZG, you have several alliance forts under siege, you fix that and then you got the Alliance/horde backing in addition to others, which you see at the entrace of ZG.

ZA has the High Elves and Blood Elves.
Edited by Galwen on 5/19/2012 9:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
To me, it seems as though the Horde ship is the beneficiary of a diversionary strike, or something similar. Perhaps Garrosh sent a land attack force into Dustwallow which the main Theramore army left to fight, because after all who would attack the Alliance's most powerful Kalimdor port by sea?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
05/19/2012 09:52 PMPosted by Madisel
To me, it seems as though the Horde ship is the beneficiary of a diversionary strike, or something similar. Perhaps Garrosh sent a land attack force into Dustwallow which the main Theramore army left to fight, because after all who would attack the Alliance's most powerful Kalimdor port by sea?

I've a feeling tactics are going by the wayside in this. This isn't a novel, where sometimes they'll have battles with strategy behind them, it's a game. Horde gunship is waiting off the coast, players are to come in and blow up everything that could possibly stop it, and rescue an infiltrator in the process.

Afterward, sit back and watch the fireworks.

Edit: That is to say, if game-mechanics demanded it, the players could kill every living soul on the island. In this case, we'll only be unstoppably massacring select portions. There's a large disconnect between 'what should be' and 'what is' when it comes to player-characters.
Edited by Vesran on 5/19/2012 9:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
The OP was being disingenuous. We learned more STEPS from the Alliance side but we already know that what we see isn't everything. For example, there's another datamined step where we kill a Horde Shaman and retrieve the Banner of Theramore.

We also know that the Horde scenario obviously doesn't end with the Horde freeing a prisoner and then going "whelp, guess we're done."

This thread shouldn't have been made. This event obviously isn't done yet and claiming that we now know everything about it is false.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I really couldn't give a damn about Alliance/Horde nonsense if Blizzard paid me to. That crap should've been wrapped up after the last RTS game.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
The main points remain the same. I still do not much feel like going in to clean up.
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
05/19/2012 10:58 PMPosted by Arkturas
The main points remain the same. I still do not much feel like going in to clean up.

I don't really see it as clean up considering the Alliance regains control of the ruins. It's no more clean up then it would be if the Alliance managed to retake control of the Ruins of Lordaeron.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
If it somehow goes to Horde runs in, easily smashes everything, runs out, Alliance runs in, kills some mangy stragglers, then 'retakes' the city, I will be disappointed. All that shouts to me is yet more of "the Alliance cannot win in a direct match up with the Horde, so let's weaken the Horde forces to give the poor saps a chance."

What I want is to bloody their nose. So they do get to raze Theramore. Make it Pyrrhic.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
05/19/2012 11:06 PMPosted by Vyrin

I don't really see it as clean up considering the Alliance regains control of the ruins. It's no more clean up then it would be if the Alliance managed to retake control of the Ruins of Lordaeron.

And what good are ruins going to be the Alliance when they couldn't even hold them when they were towering fortifications?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]