Prot Pvp....mastery or resil?

85 Human Paladin
So I'm thinking about doing some Prot PvP, mainly for flag running purposes and am trying to decide how to gear. I figure reforging into mastery is a given, but for gem purposes will I see more profound results from stacking mastery or heavy resilience?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
prot warrior
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I thought people gemmed str.

Edit: Jesus my reading comprehension is awful lately. I just flat out assume everyone is talking about retribution.
Edited by Imperviable on 5/18/2012 12:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
05/16/2012 11:09 PMPosted by Freighttrain
flag running purposes and am trying to decide how to gear.

For flag running

Resil>stamina>expertise>hit to PVP cap>str>crit>>>mastery>haste

For Arena gear like a ret.

Str>resil>expertise>hit to pvp cap>stam>crit>>mastery>haste

PROT mastery SUCKS in PVP.

In fact prot pallys in general suck for PVP. We are the worst FC and non-viable in arena. It can and has been argued that rogues and rets are better FCs than us. If you really want to be a FC you might consider rerolling warrior.
Edited by Celyndrashad on 5/17/2012 1:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
As the OPs have already mentioned, save yourself the misery and go with a prot *anything else* than pally for FC roles.

Prot Pallies were nerfed with the WOG changes (still on a ridiculous 20 second CC), but the Veng nerf was the icing on the cake.

Prot Pallies are lolprot for Arena and BGs in any sense.

If you really want to pally in BGs for FC, even Holy is infinitely more viable than a prot.

I've played Prot for PvE & PVP on this toon since BC and I can tell you right now Prot hasn't been this terrible for any form of PvP since vanilla.

Don't waste your time.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Alright thanks for the feedback, I think the only reason I would try this is to stack the resilience and just be annoying and hard to kill in pug pvp and not bother to waste my teams time in RBG
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
As bad as Prot is I'd still recommend having a Prot OS for a Ret pally.

There are some maps where having a tank spec to FC is more useful then having another dps and if there isn't another non-pally tank spec ready to carry it can be good to be able to change specs before the gates open.
Likewise in entry level and pug RBG sometimes a good PvP Warrior can be hard to find and a Prot Pally can serve as a temporary FC. It's not ideal but having more options isn't a bad idea.

As far as resil vs. mastery, definitely resil which works on all inc damage as opposed to mastery which only works on melee from the direction you are facing.

05/17/2012 01:02 AMPosted by Celyndrashad
Resil>stamina>expertise>hit to PVP cap>str>crit>>>mastery>haste

Hmm I'm not sure your reasoning behind gearing for threat/damage stats over survivability for FCing. Sure you'd miss some attacks gearing mastery over hit/exp but having the HP for WoG should be np, and WoG is a pretty weak heal in any case seems like it'd be better to have the passive mitigation making your healers job easier then having a little offensive pressure (which is fairly weak regardless). Likewise crit over mitigation stats for a slightly bigger WoG heal doesn't seem like a good trade off.

It shouldn't matter much for the OP since Ret is a better PvP MS and running Prot spec once in a while in Ret gear is fine (I've won a few RBGs as Prot in Ret gear, at low mmr). I'm fairly interested in Prot PvP gearing myself though since it looks like I'll have time to get a good portion of a second set of CP gear for Prot before the end of this season.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
05/17/2012 10:19 PMPosted by Carathen
Hmm I'm not sure your reasoning behind gearing for threat/damage stats over survivability for FCing.

Its more about not losing chances at generating Holy power for WoG.

Hmm I'm not sure your reasoning behind gearing for threat/damage stats over survivability for FCing. Sure you'd miss some attacks gearing mastery over hit/exp but having the HP for WoG should be np, and WoG is a pretty weak heal in any case seems like it'd be better to have the passive mitigation making your healers job easier then having a little offensive pressure (which is fairly weak regardless). Likewise crit over mitigation stats for a slightly bigger WoG heal doesn't seem like a good trade off.

What mitigation? Mastery does not work if you are attacked from behind and it has no affect on magic or bleeds meaning that most damage in PVP bypasses it completely. I guess it helps against bad rogues and dps warriors but thats about it. More WoG (whose healing is further enhanced by resil) is far more valuable. Thus why Exp>hit>crit>mastery.

WoG without vengeance is weak but its still better than a nearly useless mastery.

If you want to try out a mastery feel free. But you will find it has very little affect on your actual survival.
Edited by Celyndrashad on 5/17/2012 10:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
Seems like your not getting more WoG with hit/exp though, its a 20s cooldown and getting three HP in 20s should be np with some misses. Hit/exp would save some global cooldowns but shouldn't effect survivability.

Mastery does help with survivability, its not a great stat in PvP but if the FC has five people on him and two are melee there are some attacks that it will effect. I'm also careful to strafe while carrying the flag down field which keeps melee in position to be blocked.

I'm inclined to think a little more survivability is better then saving globals and a little more crit on WoG as far as FCing goes.
I notice most of the top Warrior RBG Prots are reforging heavily into mastery as well, slightly different stat weights but sadly there are no highly rated Prot Pallies in RBGs to check.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Stay away from mastery unless you know you're facing a melee group in arena, or FC (have resil with it too)

WoG isn't weak with Wings.

If you're facing a mage, and you have the time to pop wings and do a 3 holy power heal w/ WoG, THEN REMOVE WINGS, you will be set.

Most Prot PVP Pallies I see running around still hammer single targets.

STR EXPERTISE CRIT HIT

I noticed with my expertise at 20 (basically 0.00 for lvl 85s), I seem to kill Rogues a lot easier with their high dodge rate.

It's all about trying different gem set ups, reforging, enchanting.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
So I've tested this Prot thing out for the last month or so and had quite a bit of fun with it. For sure prot FCing is far inferior to other options, Blood DKs and Prot Warriors, but still its been fun.

After testing I would say resilience has proven by far to be the best survivabilty stat (no suprise there), but also being PvP hit capped and expertise capped is WORTH it.

I've only been able to do a small number of RBGs so far, and at relatively low MMR, but I have found on maps like AB and BFG being prot and spamming HoR is great for flag defense. And the constant interupts help break up healer chains.

To anyone that has had more RBG experience: Is this a viable technique or playstyle at higher MMR or do the teams lose to much utility by allowing you to go prot as opposed to a WoG Ret paladin?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
OPs obviously haven't done bgs since 5.0. Pallys have great survivability. Your first tier of talents provide a speed boost. You already have hammer of justice, and can add repentance in 2nd tier. 3rd tier sacred shield adds more survivability. avenger still stuns, and u have rebuke. and WoG for a quick heal and LoH. Sartor above also gave some good advise u might adhere too.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/20/2012 04:05 AMPosted by Pwnstär
OPs obviously haven't done bgs since 5.0.

Did you seriously just necro a thread from May to complain their info is not current?!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]