Diablo 3

85 Goblin Priest
Who else is playing it? I've held off from buying it till I get some feedback. How similar, or dissimilar, is it to Diablo 2?
Reply Quote
78 Human Priest
It's almost a carbon copy of Diablo 2. There are some nice quality of life changes, such as account-wide gold and stash. The AH is fun--you don't have to hunt down other people to find the mods you want!

The story isn't amazing, but it's pretty decent, especially for a game that's not story driven. If you liked D2 you should really like D3. It's the same game with more finesse and more options. The only things that you might miss are the paladin class and the ease of spamming town portals when you're in danger.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
05/17/2012 07:28 PMPosted by Merrz
paladin class

Paladin? It's all about the Druid (which I heard isn't in D3, /sad).
Reply Quote
78 Human Priest
Oh, I actually never played a druid. But the witch doctor is kind of a combination between a druid and a necromancer, from what I understand. Wizard is the coolest though!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Monk is the best class in any ARPG I have ever played. So much fun. So sad though that Monk in MoP isn't going to be anything like it, it could have been glorious.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I tried it out and it is pretty fun. I absoutley LOVED the wizard class. Though d3 is fun its got nothing on wow ;D
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
05/19/2012 02:25 PMPosted by Greatzeltof
Though d3 is fun its got nothing on wow ;D

Apples and oranges.
Reply Quote
78 Human Priest
Speaking of which, I feel bad for all the kids who bought D3 thinking it would be anything like WoW. So many complaints about gear and difficulty. I love it.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
My only complaint thus far has been the fps for Mac users, but they're apparently doing their best to optimize it so it's no longer an issue in a couple of weeks, so I'll be patient.

I doubt too many people can kill the skeleton king at 7 fps ;-)
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
i wonder how much longer until people start flocking back to wow.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
I'm playing it. My DH is level 31 (yes I went slowly). Working on my other girls now.

05/21/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Drakkisback

What's wrong with playing both? Two different game styles.
Edited by Jujubiju on 5/23/2012 6:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
60 Gnome Rogue
It's worth a try for sure, lots of people seem to be having fun with it but for me personally it just didn't capture the magic of D1 and D2, and I couldn't get myself to level past 30 after I beat Diablo on normal.

My interest in diablo 3 only lasted long enough for that one character, partly because I could already see where it was heading based on those 30 levels + forum feedback.

I don't like the new simplified mechanics (compared to D2) where everything is based off of weapon damage, I dislike being forced to replay the storyline every time if I want to create an alt, and I certainly don't like the facebook/twitter style yabbering the bosses seem to throw at you about their next move all the time.

The story itself is questionable but then again, it was questionable in D2, it just wasn't so much "in your face" that it ever really bothered me.

And while the music is all good and fine, it's no where nearly as prominent as in D1 and D2.. it lacks that Uelmen touch.

Maybe it's because I'm close to 40 and approaching old age and grumpiness and are unable to cope with change, I don't know, but for that Diablo feeling, I stick to playing Diablo 2 Lod from time to time hehe.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
06/13/2012 04:08 AMPosted by Statham
forum feedback.

Honestly, if you pretty much ignore all the complaint posts and remember it's now like WoW (except for the fact that there's an AH), it's a pretty fun game.

I just went and made my staff of herding (the NM level one also), and I tell you what: punching ponies and watching teddy bear heads fly across the screen is pretty friggin fun.

I don't like the new simplified mechanics (compared to D2) where everything is based off of weapon damage, I dislike being forced to replay the storyline every time if I want to create an alt, and I certainly don't like the facebook/twitter style yabbering the bosses seem to throw at you about their next move all the time.

Um, the Diablo games have always been a hack and slash, couple of buttons game. The mechanics are almost like the old games. The only real difference is the way you pick your talents- which I like better.

Plus they have always had a linear storyline (not saying the storyline was that good, just making a point). It isn't WoW, it's not an ever changing storyline.

Now the NPC chit chat- I agree I could do without that.

But even WoW bosses have like half an hour of storytime before you get to punch them in the face. But, just like the cutscenes in DS, you can hit the "Esc" button to skip the cutscenes in D3. Also, even in WoW, if a boss is about to use a special move- they announce it with some sort of line.

Maybe it's because I'm close to 40 and approaching old age and grumpiness and are unable to cope with change, I don't know, but for that Diablo feeling, I stick to playing Diablo 2 Lod from time to time hehe.

I'm almost 40 myself- but the only thing I complain about is the danged kids on my lawn (true story). I think you- and a lot of others- went in expecting almost a D1/ D2 clone. Like I said, if you ignore all the complaint posts- it's not a bad game.
Edited by Jujubiju on 6/13/2012 4:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
60 Gnome Rogue
@Jujubiju

Naw it's not bad, it's just not what I expected or wanted from a Diablo game, and as I said, it failed to capture me like the previous incarnations did, for various reasons.

As for the story line, well yes it was always linear, but you didn't have to play through it if you didn't care, now you're forced to. Hence it's more intrusive, to me at least.

And my point is exactly that a Diablo game should not be "inspired" by WoW. I don't need the bosses to send me text messages, they just need to be there and fight back, maybe with a couple of lines when I engage them. Quick casual monster killing fun resulting in a loot pinata, that's essentially what I expect from a Diablo game, not a scripted monologue hehe.

Diablo gameplay has always been simple, but you used to have some control over your builds apart from selecting skills. It used to be a combination of stats / gear / skill points + charms (in LOD) and that gave you quite a bit of numbers to fiddle around with, and that was always a fun a interesting part of the game for me... well there may be numbers to play with in D3 but I lost interest before I got to that point really, so I don't know, but if there is it's not apparent (apart from the weapon damage and your primary + health).

Still, I can understand the rationale for leaning more towards WoW this time around, it has a much larger playerbase than D1/D2 ever had, and maybe they wanted to make something that could appeal to both old school Diablo players and new WoW players alike, and to that end I suppose they succeeded more or less.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
06/13/2012 08:41 AMPosted by Statham
As for the story line, well yes it was always linear, but you didn't have to play through it if you didn't care, now you're forced to. Hence it's more intrusive, to me at least.

All I do is hit the Esc button during the cutscenes (you can do it even right at the screen for the boss fights). And then just click the X throughout the dialogue. Can't do that to a WoW boss ;).
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Making bank, son. Real money AH is the best thing since sliced bread.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
05/21/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Drakkisback

this isnt SWTOR or Aion or Rift
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
06/24/2012 03:03 PMPosted by Drpoondtf
Can someone be my girlfriend in game?

Sorry, my old man wouldn't see the humor in that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]