Shocker:In the UK Max Payne 3 outsells Diablo

29 Human Warrior
http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/21/uk-charts-max-payne-3-pips-diablo-iii-to-number-one/

Barely (8,000 units). I think the hype surrounding Diablo is way too much. Thoughts?

don't get me wrong, Diablo is fun but in no way deserves all the hype it got.
Reply Quote
19 Human Hunter
Having an internet requirement always for a singleplayer game I think is an AWFUL way to go about DRM. I would not be surprised if it cost them many buyers.

(yes there are those folks out there that want to play alone, those crazy freaks)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
OOB
Having an internet requirement always for a singleplayer game I think is an AWFUL way to go about DRM. I would not be surprised if it cost them many buyers.

(yes there are those folks out there that want to play alone, those crazy freaks)

I'm one.

I want a single player game that allows me to play it on a plane or something, without an internet connection.

It makes no sense to pay $60 for a internet required single player game.
Reply Quote
45 Human Warlock
In many countries, staying constantly online does cost lot of money. So yes, Always online requirement is and will hurt diablo 3 a lot.

I am not fan of atrocious drm policies myself. But it makes sense for it to be completely online, that doesn't mean I have to like it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
The link leaves a lot of questions unanswered. Does it take into account digital sales via the Blizzard store and annual pass? They never mention that anywhere.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
Diablo 3 isn't a single player game, if you're playing it alone then you're really missing out.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight

I'm one.

I want a single player game that allows me to play it on a plane or something, without an internet connection.

It makes no sense to pay $60 for a internet required single player game.

Agreed, I love my friends i really do but having my friend hop into my game with my level 26 witch doctor with his level 50 barb and clicking through all the lore and rushing through everything is not my idea of fun, Or him seeing me on and calling me and me ending up listening to him for well over 3 hours talk about how he used to play guildwars and about his guild when i'm not feeling well not my idea of fun.

I do ask him to leave me alone but.....it goes in one ear and our the other and i would rather not scare him off ya know?

Plus i do like to travel a lot and being forced to play online more or less !@#$s on the idea of me playing it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
05/21/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Tomac
Diablo 3 isn't a single player game, if you're playing it alone then you're really missing out.

Keep telling yourself this.

Diablo has and will always be viewed by the gamers of the world as a single player game with a coop mode, unless they turn it into an MMO. When most people buy ARPG's its because it gives you some flexibility when you play it. Its essentially a console game for the PC.

The full time DRM kills it for lots of players because while the enjoy the coop and stuff Battle.net provides, they also like being able to play it while traveling or when your net is crapping out.

Thats why I haven't purchased it myself even though I still have WC3 and D2 still loaded on my PC. I play those type of games as much offline as I do online. Yeah teaming up with friends on battle.net is fun, but its always been more of a bonus.

The other big factor is them axing the LAN part of it. That kind of flies in the face of " Its not a single player game ".
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
There are a plenty of games that require online to play now, especially if they go through Steam. It sucks that single player games require that and it hurts some users but really, how often are you really flying or without an internet connection as to where you really need to play Diablo 3? It'd be a convenience but it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
05/21/2012 02:42 PMPosted by Bloodletters
There are a plenty of games that require online to play now, especially if they go through Steam. It sucks that single player games require that and it hurts some users but really, how often are you really flying or without an internet connection as to where you really need to play Diablo 3? It'd be a convenience but it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
You'd be surprised how many people in the US have what would be considered substandard Internet connection coverage. I have Comcast in a metro area and my connection still goes out from time to time.

Also, Steam has an offline mode. It may not work flawlessly, but at least it's there. That's more than anyone can say about Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
19 Human Hunter
05/21/2012 03:03 PMPosted by Ponk
You'd be surprised how many people in the US have what would be considered substandard Internet connection coverage. I have Comcast in a metro area and my connection still goes out from time to time.

Also, Steam has an offline mode. It may not work flawlessly, but at least it's there. That's more than anyone can say about Diablo 3.

I think companies assume too much about the infrastructure of the developed world. And its just not the US. Canada has plain awful internet. My friend has to choose between a monopoly that charges $100/month and restricts bandwidth and has a data cap or satellite internet. Can't even tether either. This is in an urban home btw.

Not everyone has incredible or even decent internet. The world should (just like landline phones) have reliable internet almost everywhere, but due to laziness or politics or greed, its really not quite there yet for all of them.
Reply Quote
45 Human Warlock
05/21/2012 02:42 PMPosted by Bloodletters

Steam only requires authentication. I believe there is an offline mode that you can use to play games that are hosted on steam.

Besides restricting to online play alienates some users, because they have to worry about stability, monthly caps, etc..
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I like how nobody in this thread actually cares about Max Payne.
Reply Quote
10 Night Elf Druid
http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/21/uk-charts-max-payne-3-pips-diablo-iii-to-number-one/

Barely (8,000 units). I think the hype surrounding Diablo is way too much. Thoughts?

don't get me wrong, Diablo is fun but in no way deserves all the hype it got.

By what I see... Max Payne 3 on CONSOLES "outsold" Diablo 3 on PC....

Also, Max Payne 3 is not out in the UK for PC yet according to the article...

A game that is releasing on multiple platforms will always outsell releases on a single platform because its the size difference between the target audiences. It's a bad comparison when you compare companies who develop a game for multi-platform use to companies who develop games for a single platform.

Only horrible websites and writers don't see this flaw when writing articles for attention and traffic to fool the silly people who just read the headline and skim the article.

Also, before someone tries to twist this into a troll fan statement: no I don't own either of those games.
Edited by Elwyndia on 5/21/2012 8:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Please stop spreading this false information.

Many people bought Diablo 3 digitally, and wouldn't be surprised if more copies were sold digitally then retail.

That little link of yours is for retail only.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]