Holy priests - What spell is this?

90 Gnome Warlock
I was in an arena with my Shaman friend, and we went up against a Warlock and a Holy priest.

Naturally I focused mainly on the priest. In a situation like this, my goal is to run the healer out of mana then kill them. These fights usually take some time.

I succeeded in running the priest out of mana and got them down to 1% health. They had already used their shadowfiend. Suddenly, as I was expecting him to finally fall over dead, he instantly popped up to 90% health and 10% mana. After another round of shadowfiend and wearing down on his mana with my dots on both targets, I had him in the same situation. OOM and 1% health, and the same thing happened.

At least 30 minutes into the arena, the priest had done this miraculous recovery a total of 3 times. I figured it must be hacks and we decided to forfeit the match. I reported the priest for cheating.

Is there any way the priest could have done this without cheating? If so, how the hell am I supposed to ever beat a holy priest?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Guardian Spirit + Desperate Prayer.

/shrug on the mana part, though.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
05/27/2012 06:56 PMPosted by Elethia

AA?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Possible. I don't know much about Holy Priest PvP spec choices.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It would help if you had the name of the priest, then we could look at their spec / gear and tell you what was tripping you up.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
I was in an arena with my Shaman friend, and we went up against a Warlock and a Holy priest.

Naturally I focused mainly on the priest. In a situation like this, my goal is to run the healer out of mana then kill them. These fights usually take some time.

I succeeded in running the priest out of mana and got them down to 1% health. They had already used their shadowfiend. Suddenly, as I was expecting him to finally fall over dead, he instantly popped up to 90% health and 10% mana. After another round of shadowfiend and wearing down on his mana with my dots on both targets, I had him in the same situation. OOM and 1% health, and the same thing happened.

At least 30 minutes into the arena, the priest had done this miraculous recovery a total of 3 times. I figured it must be hacks and we decided to forfeit the match. I reported the priest for cheating.

Is there any way the priest could have done this without cheating? If so, how the hell am I supposed to ever beat a holy priest?

It definitely was not hacks. When he got low on health and was about to die he cast guardian spirit which then gave him a full heal. With the guardian spirit glyph a holy priest can do this every 2.5 minutes. Also desperate prayer heals for abour 60,000 and is every 2 minutes.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Someone beat you and your first reaction is to accuse them of cheating and reporting them?

As said by others, it's just GS + DP.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest

AA?

AA only gives back 1% base so op would have to be grossly overstating how much mana the healer was getting.

Maybe he was using hymn of hope and AA together. Think the OP would of noticed the angel wings and big flash from hymn though.

Edit:
Does GS give back mana, never noticed xp
Edited by Shaoran on 5/27/2012 11:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
05/27/2012 11:33 PMPosted by Shaoran
AA only gives back 1% base so op would have to be grossly overstating how much mana the healer was getting.

Where are you getting this information? O.o

It gives back 1% total mana per stack, meaning 5% total mana at 5 stacks.
Reply Quote
78 Human Priest
I have to doubt that this priest had time to stack Evangelism at any point during the match, given how hard he was supposedly trained. Probably safe to rule out Archangel.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
05/27/2012 11:48 PMPosted by Elethia

Where are you getting this information? O.o

It gives back 1% total mana per stack, meaning 5% total mana at 5 stacks.

Not carefully pay attention to the tooltip, thought the stacks only affected the healing buff portion.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Fair enough. I just hope that isn't stickied somewhere in a guide. >__<
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Someone beat you and your first reaction is to accuse them of cheating and reporting them?

As said by others, it's just GS + DP.

Guardian spirit only restores 50% of your health, and desperate prayer only restores 30%. 50% + 30% = 80%, not 90%. Also, both of those spells use mana, neither of them give it.

It couldn't have been hymn of hope because it's not an instant cast, it's channeled. I watch for hymn of hope because there isn't a better priest spell to interrupt than that one.

I watched closely after the first time it happened because I really wanted to know what they were using. There were no wings. There was no obvious spell effect at all. Instantly, out of nowhere, 90% health AND 10% mana.

If there were any spells that do this, they would have to restore both health AND mana, or have no global cooldown so they could be put into a macro with another spell or spells to achieve the total effect simultaneously. The priest didn't go to 50% health, then 90%, then 10% mana. It was instant and all at once.
Edited by Jjlock on 5/28/2012 12:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
78 Human Priest
Meh your story lacks any credibility now, sorry. Saying there were no wings or obvious spell effects sounds like crap to me. It was Guardian Spirit and Desperate Prayer--those are the only spells that can achieve the effect you're describing. As for the mana, your guess is as good as mine. Either way, he was almost 100% assuredly not cheating.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
05/28/2012 12:06 AMPosted by Merrz
Meh your story lacks any credibility now, sorry. Saying there were no wings or obvious spell effects sounds like crap to me. It was Guardian Spirit and Desperate Prayer--those are the only spells that can achieve the effect you're describing. As for the mana, your guess is as good as mine. Either way, he was almost 100% assuredly not cheating.

So what you're saying is, "There is no way for them to have done that, but still there's definitely no way they were cheating".
Reply Quote
78 Human Priest
No, I'm saying you're telling a story that's different from what actually happened. You lost a game and your emotions got the best of you, so you're exaggerating the details, probably without realizing it.

Also nerf mana burn OP.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Despite the tooltip, DP actually heals for more than 30%—especially so if GS is up. Both can also Crit. DP is also free and GS takes 6% base mana.

What race of priest was it?

I very much doubt that there was any foul play going on.
Edited by Elethia on 5/28/2012 12:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
I have my UI set to show percentages. When someone does something completely ridiculous in an arena, especially an arena that was about to finally end after 20 minutes, you pay attention to details.

I lose half the arenas I go into. I've never posted to the forums about it because I chalk it up to the fact that I haven't been into pvp for very long and I'm still learning.

Mana burn doesn't bother me in the slightest if I have a healer =) Lifetap is amazing.

Like I said, they could have healed themselves to 100% and boosted their max health by 50% instantly and I wouldn't have been bothered. The real issue here is that it came with enough mana to sustain them until their next shadowfiend.
Edited by Jjlock on 5/28/2012 12:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
NVM. Obviously these forums are of little use to anyone.

"Well I skimmed over 1/3rd of your post and obviously it was this spell"

"It wasn't hacks, you're just exaggerating"

"I am going to repeat what everyone else said. I also didn't read most of your post."

"I ignore vital information then give you crap answers."
Reply Quote
78 Human Priest
NVM. Obviously these forums are of little use to anyone.

"Well I skimmed over 1/3rd of your post and obviously it was this spell"

"It wasn't hacks, you're just exaggerating"

"I am going to repeat what everyone else said. I also didn't read most of your post."

"I ignore vital information then give you crap answers."

So I take it you didn't actually read the thread until just before making this post? lol

You did get an answer. It didn't satisfy you for some reason, but it's the answer. The mana could have been a lot of things, like any number of procs (Power Torrent, Lightweave--is there still a meta gem that restores mana?). idk. Who cares? Move on.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]