Diablo 3 API Preview

(Locked)

Web & Mobile Team
05/21/2012 07:00 AMPosted by Elimine
@Straton: Will you be implementing an API that is similar to the realm status API for WoW? While there are no "realms", per say, the game servers and AH statuses would be nice to reveal.

Yes. We will have an API resource that provides the status data as we do on http://us.battle.net/d3/en/status .
Web & Mobile Team
Nice! :)

Do you consider adding data resources for rolled items, unrolled items and properties?

To explain:

- A rolled item is an item that has been generated and who's stats are final.

- An unrolled item is a raw template that defines the core data, the predefined properties (and their possible ranges) and the possible number of additional random properties.

- A property is a affix or suffix like +strength. This data resource could define on what item type and item level it may appear and what range it has.

This would enable us to do some really cool stuff! :-)

Items and how they will be represented is still on the drawing board. When we make more progress and have a rough prototype, I'll be sure to update the community.
98 Human Mage
"armor": 345,
"strength": 129,
"dexterity": 43,
"intelligence": 50,
"vitality": 139,
"resist_arcane": 0,
"resist_fire": 0,
"resist_lightning": 0,
"resist_poison": 0,
"resist_cold": 0,

May be an oversight...but where is resist_physical ?
87 Tauren Druid

• Any plans for a search API? Any way we could crawl for accounts to do aggregate statistics?
  • Any plans for giving us information about quest completion? Like how long it took them to clear a quest, perhaps including historical data if they've done a quest multiple times, and including party members involved in the kill?
  • What about events like "Killed Belial (Inferno) on <timestamp>"?

Just some data points that I think could be really valuable.
Web & Mobile Team
05/21/2012 11:56 AMPosted by Droodix
Any plans for a search API? Any way we could crawl for accounts to do aggregate statistics?

We haven't really come up with a good way to provide an index that doesn't compromise privacy or data that we don't want to expose. This is something we are thinking about though.

05/21/2012 11:56 AMPosted by Droodix
Any plans for giving us information about quest completion? Like how long it took them to clear a quest, perhaps including historical data if they've done a quest multiple times, and including party members involved in the kill?

I believe that this information will or should be available with achievement data and statistics.

What about events like "Killed Belial (Inferno) on <timestamp>"?

This data will also likely be made available with achievement data and statistics.
90 Human Paladin
Would you be able to make a damage meter like recount?
90 Undead Warlock
I just want to echo a previous poster that the default auction house UI is totally inadequate. These feedback actually pertains to both WoW and D3.

In WoW we can use add-on's to bypass the default UI, so that we can enjoy such features as "knowing how much something is going for before you sell it", etc.

In D3 we have no such option. So either some QoL improvements are needed to the stock UI, or we need fansites to be able to compile data.
90 Blood Elf Priest
awesome! I will improve my site with this as well :D, these forums and blizzard are inspiration to me and my site ;)
Edited by Angÿ on 5/21/2012 8:37 PM PDT
MVP
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
It seems as if thus far, we'll have the following: Career Profile API, Hero Profile API, Achievement API, Realm Status API, possible Search API. What about an Item API, Quest API, and just generic Data API (for classes, followers, achievement structure, item classes, etc)?

Also, how come this wasn't posted on the D3 Forums at all? I understand this is just a preview, but there are Diablo III fan-devs out there that cannot comment on this thread, :(.

EDIT: I see above that you mentioned something about the Item API and would get back to us, that still leaves Quests and Data, :).
Edited by Sixen on 5/21/2012 8:44 PM PDT
1 Gnome Priest
Auction House API is pretty essential.

Please provide it.
Web & Mobile Team
It seems as if thus far, we'll have the following: Career Profile API, Hero Profile API, Achievement API, Realm Status API, possible Search API. What about an Item API, Quest API, and just generic Data API (for classes, followers, achievement structure, item classes, etc)?

Also, how come this wasn't posted on the D3 Forums at all? I understand this is just a preview, but there are Diablo III fan-devs out there that cannot comment on this thread, :(.

A lot of the data APIs are still being worked out, but we are confident that we can provide some basic API resources for quests, classes, artisans, recipes, achievements and skills.

As for why this is on the WoW developer forum, that was just timing. I'm hesitant to create an entire forum and rev up that machine before the D3 API is actually ready for release. When we get closer to launch, I'll create a forum and update public documentation.
96 Human Paladin
Can't wait! :D
Are there any plans to create an API that will provide equipment information about a specific hero? I assume the item API has to be hammered out first.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Exposing raw time played to the world at large makes me uncomfortable personally.

If it's a percentage of total time played split amongst classes as Delritha is suggesting, it would not bother me though.

Could we get a clarification on which it is?
MVP
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
05/22/2012 09:23 AMPosted by Straton
A lot of the data APIs are still being worked out, but we are confident that we can provide some basic API resources for quests, classes, artisans, recipes, achievements and skills.

Awesome!

05/22/2012 09:23 AMPosted by Straton
As for why this is on the WoW developer forum, that was just timing. I'm hesitant to create an entire forum and rev up that machine before the D3 API is actually ready for release. When we get closer to launch, I'll create a forum and update public documentation.

Understandable, thanks for the clarification, Straton.

Exposing raw time played to the world at large makes me uncomfortable personally.

If it's a percentage of total time played split amongst classes as Delritha is suggesting, it would not bother me though.

The raw time played is something that all your friends and recent players can see on your profile in-game, they're just exposing it to the API so it can be displayed on your web-profile as well. It's not like it's anything new, ;/.
Edited by Sixen on 5/22/2012 10:32 AM PDT
Web & Mobile Team

What part of the API example or previous questions and responses is confusing? I'm not sure what your question actually is.
Edited by Straton on 5/22/2012 11:40 AM PDT
85 Troll Mage

What part of the API example or previous questions and responses is confusing? I'm not sure what your question actually is.

He is referring to this part
"time-played": {
"barbarian": 1.0,
"demon-hunter": 0.6,
"monk": 0.3,
"witch-doctor": 0.1,
"wizard": 0.0
},

I suggested that it was percent based time played (1.0 = 100%, .6 = 60%, etc), but some people are thinking it's actual time played.
Edited by Delritha on 5/22/2012 12:10 PM PDT
90 Worgen Druid
I'm not in the know on this kind of stuff, but I would like to see a website with better AH search functionality with the ability to purchase items.

The issue I have with the current AH setup is I can sort items by DPS, either ascending or descending, but because there are so many items listed, and it looks like the page limit for searches is 47 pages, I am only able to see the top 47 pages or the bottom 47 pages, and am missing a LOT of the items that are listed in between the two extremes.

Just as an example, it's like I can view items with DPS ranging from 1 to 300, and then those ranging from 900 to 1200, but nothing in between because there simply aren't enough pages to display them.

Why do I need to view that many items? I can sort by DPS then go down the list trying to find one that has a decent buy out price. The items on the high end are way too expensive, while the items on the low end are not an upgrade for me.
90 Orc Warrior
05/21/2012 12:44 PMPosted by Apristine
No. This is not WoW.
- Hearthstone
97 Tauren Paladin
05/22/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Mazit
No. This is not WoW.

I don't know what you are trying to imply. I see nothing wrong with a native damage meter. You are probably confusing damage meters with the community filth who place importance on them.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]