Diablo 3 API Preview

(Locked)

Web & Mobile Team
05/22/2012 12:06 PMPosted by Delritha
I suggested that it was percent based time played (1.0 = 100%, .6 = 60%, etc), but some people are thinking it's actual time played.

Yes, to confirm what Delritha is saying, we are not planning on exposing raw play time information, but rather percentages to allow websites to determine what class is played the most.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
This is excellent stuff. Just tried pulling info via my battletag and no joy [yet]... obviously not live yet, which of course is fine. This does however lead to the question... when? Standard Blizzard answer is "when it's done", but maybe a "this isn't live yet" in the FAQs would be helpful. I know Blizz is still working on getting their own D3 profiles out the door, but I'm really looking forward to this. Keep up the great work!
85 Orc Warrior
It would be great if the Hero API included the Player ID in it so you could reference it back.
85 Night Elf Rogue
I love you guys. Supporting the development community in a way no other company is. It's pretty outstanding.
Web & Mobile Team
05/22/2012 11:35 PMPosted by Xtek
It would be great if the Hero API included the Player ID in it so you could reference it back.

That would lead to a degree of data-mining that I am not comfortable with.
90 Undead Mage
05/23/2012 01:01 PMPosted by Straton

Somewhat off topic, but what does that mean for linking characters to a player's BattleTag via the WoW API when support is added? It would be amazing to be able to filter out alts in data.
Web & Mobile Team
05/23/2012 01:20 PMPosted by Chaud

Somewhat off topic, but what does that mean for linking characters to a player's BattleTag via the WoW API when support is added? It would be amazing to be able to filter out alts in data.

We'll cross that bridge when we get there.
90 Tauren Shaman
Are there any plans to allow battle.net Chat to an external client?
90 Undead Mage
05/23/2012 03:53 PMPosted by Megalithe

In the past they have said something along the lines of "the API won't do anything that requires authentication".
Can't wait for this API or even the profiles being shown in the battle.net site. Right now is a head-scratch-fest wondering what kind of gear people are using, especially when discussing stats for inferno.

Right now I have no idea how people are getting those huge hp pools, or really high resistances and how are they balancing or sacrificing other stats to achieve those, being able to see their gearing choices would help a lot.
90 Gnome Rogue
Could we get a percentage of total time played for each hero in the Hero API? I could see wanting to know that I have played my barbarian the most, but that I have played one of the two barbarians I have more then the other.
Web & Mobile Team
05/24/2012 08:22 AMPosted by Chirip
Could we get a percentage of total time played for each hero in the Hero API? I could see wanting to know that I have played my barbarian the most, but that I have played one of the two barbarians I have more then the other.

Although it may be available somewhere, the only information we currently have readily available to use is the aggregate class information. For what it is worth, adding hero play time is something we'd like to do.
Web & Mobile Team
05/23/2012 03:53 PMPosted by Megalithe

Chaud is correct, we have no plans to provide API resources that require authentication or request scope.
60 Draenei Death Knight
When will the end point of the API be released?

I'm a ruby dev looking to release a gem for this api.

Any chance on beta testing?
2 Undead Warrior
Hey,

with regards to the item API I'd really love to have access to:
- equipped items
- items in inventory
- items in storage

Don't know if it makes sense to add this information to the hero/career API since that would be quite some overhead and not everyone is looking for that information. I'd prefer to have 3 separate calls where you pass the hero/account id.

Would love to hear your feedback!
90 Human Paladin
@Straton: Is it possible to keep the server status page up to date? I have an Android app sc*##!*% that page until an API is available and I'm finding that the server status page is very often out of date. Its especially frustrating to have users one starring my app and leaving bad reviews because of this. The users don't realize its an issue on your end and blame the messenger. Can you offer any insight as to why that page is often not correct? My app aside that page should be accurate anyway or there is no point to its existence.
Web & Mobile Team
05/25/2012 08:23 AMPosted by Elimine
@Straton: Is it possible to keep the server status page up to date? I have an Android app sc*##!*% that page until an API is available and I'm finding that the server status page is very often out of date. Its especially frustrating to have users one starring my app and leaving bad reviews because of this. The users don't realize its an issue on your end and blame the messenger. Can you offer any insight as to why that page is often not correct? My app aside that page should be accurate anyway or there is no point to its existence.

Sc%#!##@ the HTML of the D3 server status page is strictly prohibited.
Web & Mobile Team
Hey,

with regards to the item API I'd really love to have access to:
- equipped items
- items in inventory
- items in storage

Don't know if it makes sense to add this information to the hero/career API since that would be quite some overhead and not everyone is looking for that information. I'd prefer to have 3 separate calls where you pass the hero/account id.

Would love to hear your feedback!

We are not planning on exposing the items in your account stash or inventory.
2 Undead Warrior

We are not planning on exposing the items in your account stash or inventory.

That's a pity. But I take it that you are going to expose the equipped items?

Also I want to state my displeasure that you've created this thread on the WoW forums. I had to register a WoW starter edition, download the whole client and create a character only to realize that all of WoW, including posting in this forum, is region locked. Since the game license's region cannot be changed and it's not possible to add another starter edition license I had to abuse my wife's account to add a US license and create an account there.

TL;DR: It was a great hassle to give my feedback on this topic. Please post it on the D3 forums.
Web & Mobile Team
05/25/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Earldthree
TL;DR: It was a great hassle to give my feedback on this topic. Please post it on the D3 forums.

We aren't ready to spin up an entire developer community forum on the D3 game site quite yet. Creating a preview thread here, where it has been requested and discussed before, made the most sense.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]