Diablo 3 API Preview

(Locked)

No item information from the stash or inventory? That was the most useful thing possible with this in my opinion, D3 is all about items after all. Sad to hear it's not even on the table for consideration.
Edited by Xeddicus on 5/31/2012 8:30 AM PDT
Web & Mobile Team
05/31/2012 06:34 AMPosted by Xeddicus
No item information from the stash or inventory? That was the most useful thing possible with this in my opinion, D3 is all about items after all. Sad to hear it's not even on the table for consideration.

How could the items in your inventory or stash be less useful than the items your heroes are wearing and wielding?
85 Troll Mage
I think he is referring to the fact that a lot of people are holding onto several different sets in their bags; especially on inferno mode. For example you can have your Magic Find set that supplies up to 225% Magic Find while farming. Or your progression set (high armor, high primary stat, high vital, high all-resist). Or to show proof that you have x item for sale. For some it's a pain to log in, switch to your selected set of gear and log out to have the items register.
I don't have any experience with the WoW API (nor do I have the ability to check at the moment), but how long will it take something like the hero API's information (specifically the items a hero is wearing) to update?

Also, how rough are the JSON examples you've posted? For instance, is the space in "last_modified " intended?

What is Blizzard's policy on repackaging the API information? Could I create an XML translation of the JSON data and provide a web service based on that?
85 Troll Mage
I don't have any experience with the WoW API (nor do I have the ability to check at the moment), but how long will it take something like the hero API's information (specifically the items a hero is wearing) to update?

Also, how rough are the JSON examples you've posted? For instance, is the space in "last_modified " intended?

What is Blizzard's policy on repackaging the API information? Could I create an XML translation of the JSON data and provide a web service based on that?

a) Usually with the WoW API, it updates within a few seconds of the player logging out of that character.

b) They have said it is fairly rough. They already mentioned that they are in the process of universalizing space.

• The returned array keys are not consistent. For the WoW API you used lower camel case and now you use a mix of dashes and underscores to join words. Example: "last_modified" should be "lastModified".

05/30/2012 08:56 AMPosted by Straton
We are in the process of switching to a more consistant naming scheme for the attributes in our data structures. And again, this is very early in the process so attribute names haven't been scrubbed or cleaned up.

c) You can do that. As long as you follow the guidelines in the Third-Party API Usage Policy, your fine:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3746635131
05/31/2012 08:52 AMPosted by Straton

How could the items in your inventory or stash be less useful than the items your heroes are wearing and wielding?

They're just as important, not less...did you mean AS useful, perhaps? Not sure how "less" got communicated in that. Like Delritha said, there are a lot of items sitting in the inventory and stash, much more than what we're currently wearing.

I just would find being able to see them very useful. As an example: I generally know what I'm wearing and have an idea on what my friends are. But maybe they have a sword they plan on using next level and I don't need to hang onto one I found I think may be an upgrade for them, but turns out it isn't.

Or maybe they have something just taking up space I want.

Or for that matter just being able to see my stash/inventory of my own characters out of game would be awesome.

It would just make it much more useful, as I imagine more people are interested in peoples items, not their character. I may be wrong, and it is a "Hero" API too, but I can hope!
85 Orc Death Knight
I no nothing about APIs but I'm guessing that they are trying to finish the d3 APi before they release the profiles feature huh? I really want it.
Edited by Diablokon on 5/31/2012 11:34 AM PDT
Web & Mobile Team
05/31/2012 11:24 AMPosted by Xeddicus
They're just as important, not less...did you mean AS useful, perhaps? Not sure how "less" got communicated in that. Like Delritha said, there are a lot of items sitting in the inventory and stash, much more than what we're currently wearing.

Yeah, it wa a typo.

I just would find being able to see them very useful. As an example: I generally know what I'm wearing and have an idea on what my friends are. But maybe they have a sword they plan on using next level and I don't need to hang onto one I found I think may be an upgrade for them, but turns out it isn't.

Or maybe they have something just taking up space I want.

Or for that matter just being able to see my stash/inventory of my own characters out of game would be awesome.

I'll make a note to bring it up with the team and have a discussion around it. Generally, things that are "private" in-game are also private on the web. I can inspect your hero in-game, thus we justify having profile pages outside of the game. I can't look in your stash or inventory, or see the amount of gold you have, thus we generally don't make that available through the website or API.

If there is a good argument for changing that, then it is something we can look at doing. With that said, I don't think there are any compelling reasons to change the visibility of that data.
Well, that's kind of an arbitrary cut off point. You can see what people are wearing just because it happened to be programmed that way because someone figured people would want to see what people are wearing. People may want to see the stash too. I know I do. Make it an opt-in if people don't want it? Suppose that adds in a layer of complexity, but if you can see some of your items may as well be able to see them all.

The best reason to do it, as I stated before: D3 is all about items. Including the ones the players have in their stash/inventory. It definitely can't hurt if it's optional. And if it's not, well, people can't hide what they're wearing. But thanks for the reply even if nothing comes of it, nice to know the feedback is heard.
Web & Mobile Team
05/31/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Xeddicus
Well, that's kind of an arbitrary cut off point.

I don't think arbitrary means what you think it means. We decided to display what can be seen in-game, a decision that has been consistent and carefully thought out.
I did say "kind of" :P Semantics (and my poor word choice...) aside, the point of that was showing the items is just as valid as not. The carefully thought out result could have been to make the stash optionally viewable to all and things would be ok (outside of possible technical issue I guess). Again, thanks for reading.
Web & Mobile Team
05/31/2012 04:23 PMPosted by Xeddicus
I did say "kind of" :P Semantics (and my poor word choice...) aside, the point of that was showing the items is just as valid as not. The carefully thought out result could have been to make the stash optionally viewable to all and things would be ok (outside of possible technical issue I guess). Again, thanks for reading.

Yeah, all silliness aside, I'm going to make sure this is discussed. We generally don't include things like personal inventory and gold, but I'm going to revisit the subject internally with the team.
90 Night Elf Druid
I'd love to see stash/inventory as well, opt-in, or otherwise. As Xeddicus pointed out, friends often want to be able to share their drops among themselves and it's complicated going through linking one at a time right now to see if there's something they may or may not want. Will be interested to know what the result of the discussion is.
15 Tauren Warrior
I'll make a note to bring it up with the team and have a discussion around it. Generally, things that are "private" in-game are also private on the web. I can inspect your hero in-game, thus we justify having profile pages outside of the game. I can't look in your stash or inventory, or see the amount of gold you have, thus we generally don't make that available through the website or API.

If there is a good argument for changing that, then it is something we can look at doing. With that said, I don't think there are any compelling reasons to change the visibility of that data.

It's an interesting concept, but I think the stash and inventory should be publicly viewable in-game before public through a web API, therefore allowing people to ease into the idea. It should also be optional. Allow people in-game to toggle the publicity of their inventory and stash, and by default it should be hidden. Please note by inventory I mean the items your character is carrying on them, but not equipped.

I'm going to list my opinion on the pros and cons of publicly viewable stash and inventory.

PROS

• Easier to trade outside of the game. People can link to their profile and verify to potential buyers their inventory/stash for trading. This certainly defeats taking screenshots of your inventory and posting them to the trading forums. (Note - if you're wondering why people trade outside of the AH, it's to either beat the tax or sell more than 10 items a day)

• Statistics - API users will have a field day with all those statistics!

• Easier to see if your friends have upgrades you can use/trade.

• Easier to show off your treasures. After all, Diablo is a game about loot.

CONS

• Easier to see if your friends have upgrades you can use/trade. (Yes, this could be a con for the other person!)

• Privacy -- BUT as said the privacy is kind of moot if public stash/inventory is made optional, and off by default requiring the user to turn it on. At that point they are responsible.

I'm personally in-favor of the idea, given it's an optional setting in-game (and that setting would also dictate its visibility in the web API of course).
Edited by Zen on 5/31/2012 7:37 PM PDT
15 Tauren Warrior
Blizzard,

I don't want someone clicking on my banner in game and seeing exactly how many hours I have played. Do not like.

The API is providing time played as a percentage for each class. For example, if you have two characters and you've played your barbarian much longer than you have your wizard, then it might say 80% barbarian and 20% wizard.

There are no hours. There is no exactness.
Edited by Zen on 5/31/2012 8:04 PM PDT
And just to be clear: No one (so far?) is asking for gold to be included in a package deal if it comes down to it. If that was optional as well and didn't hold anything up great, but if for any reason gold tipped the scales the wrong way leaving it out is fine. Gold WOULD generally be less useful than everything else already planned, unlike items in any place.
Web & Mobile Team
Easier to trade outside of the game. People can link to their profile and verify to potential buyers their inventory/stash for trading. This certainly defeats taking screenshots of your inventory and posting them to the trading forums. (Note - if you're wondering why people trade outside of the AH, it's to either beat the tax or sell more than 10 items a day)

Just putting this out there, but you list this as a "PRO", however this is a major reason for us not to do it.
Web & Mobile Team
Realistically, exposing inventory and stash data isn't something we would support with the release of the API. We'll discuss it, think about it, sleep on it, but it won't be any time soon.
1 Draenei Paladin

{
"id": 182,
"name": "Yharr",
"hardcore": false,
"hero_class": 1,
"level": 21,
"gender": 0,
"create_time": 1351949944,
"update_time": 1666805944,
"hireling": [{
"hireling_class": 1,
"level": 18
}, {
"hireling_class": 2,
"level": 20,
"active": true
}],
"skills": {
"active": [{
"slug": "barbarian-overpower",
"name": "Overpower",
"icon": "http://us.media.blizzard.com/d3/icons/skills/64/barbarian_overpower.png",
"rune": { "type": 5, "name": "Revel" }
}],
"passive": [{
"slug": "barbarian-brawler",
"name": "Brawler",
"icon": " http://us.media.blizzard.com/d3/icons/skills/64/barbarian_passive_brawler.png"
}]
},
"elites_killed": 241,
"attributes": {
"life": 1510,
"dps": 58.8255,
"armor": 345,
"strength": 129,
"dexterity": 43,
"intelligence": 50,
"vitality": 139,
"resist_arcane": 0,
"resist_fire": 0,
"resist_lightning": 0,
"resist_poison": 0,
"resist_cold": 0,
"crit_chance": 0.08,
"damage_reduction": 0.333756,
"magic-find": 15,
"gold-find": 14
}
}

Would be cool if you could add the skill slot as well.

"skills": {
"active": [{
"slug": "frenzy",
"name": "Frenzy",
"slot": "primary",
"icon": "http://us.media.blizzard.com/d3/icons/skills/64/barbarian_frenzy.png",
"rune": { "type": 4, "name": "Smite" }
},{
"slug": "seismic-slam",
"name": "Seismic Slam",
"slot": "secondary",
"icon": "http://us.media.blizzard.com/d3/icons/skills/64/barbarian_seismicslam.png",
"rune": { "type": 1, "name": "Stagger" }
},{
"slug": "ground-stomp",
"name": "Ground Stomp",
"slot": "1",
"icon": "http://us.media.blizzard.com/d3/icons/skills/64/barbarian_groundstomp.png",
"rune": { "type": 2, "name": "Wrenching Smash" }
},{
"slug": "revenge",
"name": "Revenge",
"slot": "2",
"icon": "http://us.media.blizzard.com/d3/icons/skills/64/barbarian_revenge.png",
"rune": { "type": 5, "name": "Provocation" }
},{
"slug": "war-cry",
"name": "War Cry",
"slot": "3",
"icon": "http://us.media.blizzard.com/d3/icons/skills/64/barbarian_warcry.png",
"rune": { "type": 5, "name": "Invigorate" }
},{
"slug": "wrath-of-the-berserker",
"name": "Wrath of the Berserker",
"slot": "4",
"icon": "http://us.media.blizzard.com/d3/icons/skills/64/barbarian_wrathoftheberserker.png",
"rune": { "type": 5, "name": "Insanity" }
}],
"passive": [{
"slug": "pound-of-flesh",
"name": "Pound of Flesh",
"icon": " http://us.media.blizzard.com/d3/icons/skills/64/barbarian_passive_poundofflesh.png"
},{
"slug": "tough-as-nails",
"name": "Tough as Nails",
"icon": " http://us.media.blizzard.com/d3/icons/skills/64/barbarian_passive_toughasnails.png"
},{
"slug": "nerves-of-steel",
"name": "Nerves of Steel",
"icon": " http://us.media.blizzard.com/d3/icons/skills/64/barbarian_passive_nervesofsteel.png"
}]
},
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]