Delaying Raiding in MoP

90 Blood Elf Mage
This is an interesting idea that I really like from Lore (of Tankspot fame). It has to do with delaying raiding in MoP. I really like this idea for a few reasons. (He is Proposing a delay of about 2-3 weeks.... 4 max)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGx92MoaWEA
N.B raids are almost always the last phase of the dev cycle for blizz.

a) it would allow raiders to not spam heroics for 5 days straight looking to gear up asap. In turn letting everyone test out scenarios, pet battles, proving grounds and BGs
b) the MoP release date would be sooner, if they did release MoP without raids it is not likely that it would affect the relative time we would begin raiding as they would have delayed the official release anyway until they were ready, and anyone who would quit over this idea is silly and shouldn't be raiding anyway because they failed to realize that time is relative.
c) it would remove the weird progression curve from the 1st tier. With cata as soon as your raid hit the critical amount of gear all of a sudden nothing was really a numbers challenge as the raids had to allow for certain quest blues in the raid atmosphere.

Watch the vid. I know it is a weird concept but something that I think blizz should at least consider. It is an idea that, when he first proposed it I went "well that is about the most retarded thing I have ever heard"

BUUUUT ON reflection I really like it and I am in favor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGx92MoaWEA
Edited by Judgeharm on 6/6/2012 6:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
This is a great idea.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
As someone who tends to be in the middle of finals week of every expansion release, enjoys raiding, and also enjoys just plain soaking in the new content, i think it's a great idea.

Gating tends to feel kind of unatural, and "favor" certain groups (if one kills a boss a week early, but the next is gated, they lose that advantage).

Quite honestly, i'm surprised not only that they didn't do it, but didn't do it for T11. ICC it felt kind of forced, but with an extremely long teir, having two "mini teirs" would be fine- if, *if* they bother to add enough content (T11 style) for each, so they feel fully fleshed out.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
cant you personally start raiding 3-4 weeks later?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
06/07/2012 01:08 AMPosted by Robokapp

Unless he is a guildmaster, I don't think thats how it works.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
gate level 86 for 4 months, then 87, that will also extend content and people won't feel the need to play hardcore.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
06/07/2012 01:08 AMPosted by Robokapp

Players suck at gating ourselves+social pressure (guild, ranks,competition etc ). It's the same boat as "just turn off the nerf".

They don't need to babysit, but i dont think a short delay would hurt.
Edited by Arianity on 6/7/2012 3:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
With decent heroics, cata launch style heroics, it could work if it was only a one or at most two week gate. Also raid difficulty, especially intro boss difficulty would need to be increased to account for the higher average gear level. Since I'm pretty sure we aren't getting hard heroics I think its a bad idea.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
2-3 weeks doesn't sound bad at all. Cata launch burned many people out. Level to 85, get profs up, run dailies for rep gear and heroic dungeons. The gear in heroic dungeons were very valuable at the time. 2-3 hours for 1 heroic 5 man at times killed the fun factor. If you were a healer things were even worse. Most decent guild groups understood that healing was total hell.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I like the idea but I think it should only be gated 1 week, 2 max. This would give no competitive edge to those with no jobs or social obligations. I will make the point that if I was one of those people who did not have a job or social obligations I would be completely against this idea.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
And what about the many people (like me) who only play this game for raiding? Who are going to grind 2 - 3 days of heroics to move into raiding and then have to wait weeks with nothing to do?

Now, I can't testify to your motives, but in my experience, players who want gated content are the ones who want the top players to be stalled so the lesser skilled players have a chance to catch up.

If all of the content is available on day one, then you can do it at your leisure.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
i'd be ok with that, mostly because i can't gear up 24/7 at the beginning of an expansion due to work... but for me it's really not a problem either way. i can gear up in an acceptable period of time. acceptable to me and my guild anyway.

that being said, it's not hard to get 5 levels and still enjoy it without zerging it and gear up from heroics (especially if the mop heroics will be like wrath heroics!)
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
06/07/2012 08:10 AMPosted by Hudiddytoo
Now, I can't testify to your motives, but in my experience, players who want gated content are the ones who want the top players to be stalled so the lesser skilled players have a chance to catch up.

Since when does not having a job or any social obligations to the point you can essentially take 3 days off from LIFE equate to skill? If anything gating the content so that people who do not have a life that can simply be put on hold can start at the same time as those who can promotes a more even playing field in which the more skilled player wins.

That being said as I stated before if I was in your shoes I would not want the content to be gated. Making the argument that the ability to stare at a computer screen for 72 consecutive hours is skill is something I would never do, under any circumstance.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
06/07/2012 08:32 AMPosted by Ninjablaze
Since when does not having a job or any social obligations to the point you can essentially take 3 days off from LIFE equate to skill? If anything gating the content so that people who do not have a life that can simply be put on hold can start at the same time as those who can promotes a more even playing field in which the more skilled player wins.

I am going to quote a professor of mine: "You have the time to do anything you want to do in the world, it's your choice how you spend that time."

Now, not having done much with the MoP beta, I can't say how long it will take to level, but judging from both Wrath and Cata launches, it will most likely be a breeze. I have been a full time student and employee during both launches, and still managed max level within a week. It takes no more than about an hour to an hour and a half per level (for me, at least.)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
that maybe bad for a lot of raiders, especially the ones that are trying to progressive for world 1st and etc. still its not like it would bother some seeing how it takes like 2-3 weeks anyways to get max level and then to get heroic dungeon gear for the raids.
Edited by Neoprime on 6/7/2012 8:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
06/07/2012 08:37 AMPosted by Hudiddytoo
I am going to quote a professor of mine: "You have the time to do anything you want to do in the world, it's your choice how you spend that time."

Really? And if said professor told his employer this and that he would not be showing up to work for 3 days because he had to level his character in a video game what do you think would happen? I think he would find time is much more limited then he originally described.

Now, not having done much with the MoP beta, I can't say how long it will take to level, but judging from both Wrath and Cata launches, it will most likely be a breeze. I have been a full time student and employee during both launches, and still managed max level within a week. It takes no more than about an hour to an hour and a half per level (for me, at least.)

Its a couple of hours per level. You will definitely not reach 90 in 5-7 hours. If that where the case the majority of the population would be 90 on day one (including myself). It took longer then an hour-an hour and a half per level in cata as well.

As far as a full time student and employee Cata launched during the middle of December, which for most students is their month long break. As far as a full time employee I'm not sure you fully understand what that means (40+ hours per week, every week, ~52 weeks a year).

Regardless I am not trying to debate why you are against gating because as I stated I do understand that position. What I am here to debate is how grinding for days on ends equates in any way to actual skill. To most people skill means how good you are at something, not how long you can do it for consecutively.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
No thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

False. Or at the very least an irrelevant statement. People...REAL people, have jobs and maybe children. Others have commitments that cannot wait for a game.

I can't get to that project just yet sir, I have to get to level 90 = FIRED
I can't feed you right now son, I have to get to level 90 = Child Services pays you a visit
I can't help you grandma with your oxygen tank, I have to get to level 90 = she dies

Extreme examples yes, but it's an effective way to answer such a broad and meaningless statement. Everything you do in the course of your day has what is known as an opportunity cost. The cost of any activity is based on what you could be doing instead.

Now don't get me wrong, I could care less whether they gate leveling or leave it alone.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]