Delaying Raiding in MoP

90 Blood Elf Priest
hey, we came pretty close to killing it when we turned off the buff and overgeared the content (except me!)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I can personally testify that kill dates don't mean jack squat. Nobody can help the nerf, and I would have killed madness much earlier personally if I hadn't slowed down then taken a break for a few months. I killed madness at 15% or 20% I think, but that doesn't mean I'm bad..it just means I had other obligations that arose.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
06/08/2012 11:09 AMPosted by Desiration
I killed madness at 15% or 20% I think, but that doesn't mean I'm bad..it just means I had other obligations that arose.

Exactly why progressive nerfs (and especially so early in the content's life cycle as they were with DS) are bad for the game.

My guild took a last plate wipe on Spine the day before the 5% nerf started. A few derps including myself didn't slow on the amalgamation after we had the third plate tendon to 37% after one exposure of it. We ended up one shoting it the next day with the 5% nerf and killed Madness about thirty pulls later.

Those nerfs started barely two months after guilds had started heroic content. They should have waited at least six months to start a progressive, end of the expansion, here you go so you get all the heroic loot nerf system.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Those nerfs started barely two months after guilds had started heroic content. They should have waited at least six months to start a progressive, end of the expansion, here you go so you get all the heroic loot nerf system.

yes.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Would Blizzard have their hand on the dial when it comes to opening said gates?

(...sorry, somebody had to say it.)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I don't support this. Sc!%%!#% together what few 85s there are for the first week of raiding is kind of fun actually. It's pugging at it's finest.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
06/08/2012 12:37 PMPosted by Firestyle
I don't support this. Sc!%%!#% together what few 85s there are for the first week of raiding is kind of fun actually. It's pugging at it's finest.

i have to admit when only 2 of us in my old guild were ready waaay waywaywayway ahead of our other raiders and a few people from another good guild on the server were ready too, and we combined forces to tackle part of bwd and bot it was pretty awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I've always thought that raiding shouldn't start for 2 weeks after the expansion starts, just so that we can enjoy leveling up to 90, instead of zerg rushing everything in order to make the first lockout period
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
06/08/2012 06:29 PMPosted by Lusignan
I've always thought that raiding shouldn't start for 2 weeks after the expansion starts, just so that we can enjoy leveling up to 90, instead of zerg rushing everything in order to make the first lockout period

It's all relative. I enjoy leveling up regardless of pace.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I like this idea. Two weeks or so would be fine by me, but any longer would just be annoying.

Anybody in a competitive guild knows nobody can control themselves and will level immediately, spam heroics, grind professions and eventually do progression all as soon as possible. It might be a player problem, but slowing people down an extra week would give some breathing room to do other things as well.

Cataclysm was a whole lot of nothing, so it didn't feel that bad raiding immediately, but Mists is definitely going to have a ton of new features (and a new class for people to play with), new dungeons, and a lot (more than Cataclysms opening raid) of raid bosses.

It makes sense that they delay PvP seasons before and after expansions and between patches, so I don't see why the same doesn't translate for PvE. It helps set a level playing field for people that don't wish to spend 16-24 hours a day at the start and it makes the competitive game feel less like 2-3 full time jobs early on.

They could probably leave world bosses out of this rule though as long as their spawn rate isn't frequent.

We're waiting months and months for this awful patch to end, and for the expansion to begin. Getting back into the swing of progression raiding after nearly a year of nothing would be really annoying with 16 bosses to progress on and the amount of content in MoP. Doesn't bother me either way, if I felt burnt out from raiding I'd be quitting just the same, delayed or not. This just seems like a nice little rest period at the start.
Reply Quote
82 Human Mage
So those of us who have zero interest in scenarios, pet battles, proving grounds and BGs will do nothing for 4-5 weeks?

The raids need to launch when the game launches. Those of you who want to can wait the time and not raid.

So you would rather have 4-5 weeks of DS or 4-5 weeks of MoP? Seems like a no brainer to me.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
The problem with the idea that delaying it will allow competitive raiders to experience more of the content before raiding is theres nothing stopping them from doing that content, pet battles, rep mount farming, etc. after they are fully geared up for the next tier. Which will happen. Once they get the heroic tier on farm they will have more time to do those things if they so choose.

I know with my guild even though we aren't anything special, downed heroic spine on last day of 20% nerf on 25 man, we do plan on trying to start raiding ASAP at least on 10m the first or second week. I don't see a reason for gating. There's nothing forcing you to start raiding immediately if you don't want to.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I think this is a great Idea, I had a lot of issues with not having enough free time at the launch of cata and because of that I got left in the dust as far as pve progression goes. I would like to spend the start of Pandaria doing heroics and other content instead of worrying about rushing to raids as fast as I can.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
06/24/2012 09:56 AMPosted by Nevolmon
I think this is a great Idea, I had a lot of issues with not having enough free time at the launch of cata and because of that I got left in the dust as far as pve progression goes. I would like to spend the start of Pandaria doing heroics and other content instead of worrying about rushing to raids as fast as I can.

It's a great idea to throttle players back because you want to do other things ingame? I completely disagree. Game goes live, do what you want and don't worry about what other people are doing. If players want to raid, let them raid. If you don't want to raid, then don't raid.

Otherwise, why not just disable all the non-raid content until all the raids are cleared? That way people can focus on raiding without falling behind in scenarios or pet battles.
Edited by Firestyle on 6/24/2012 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Not interested.
I'll hit level 90 as fast as I can and gear up as fast as I can, and if I have no raid to do, then I will do the exact same thing with the other toons I want to raid with.

Or better yet, I'll just not sub back up until the week before real content came out, blaze through all the content that everyone else has done already, and be ready to go when raid invites go out.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
06/24/2012 10:27 AMPosted by Firestyle

It's a great idea to throttle players back because you want to do other things ingame? I completely disagree. Game goes live, do what you want and don't worry about what other people are doing. If players want to raid, let them raid. If you don't want to raid, then don't raid.

Otherwise, why not just disable all the non-raid content until all the raids are cleared? That way people can focus on raiding without falling behind in scenarios or pet battles.

The point it to give time to do other stuff, not to annoy raiders. I think it's possible.

On a scale of 1 to 10(10 being a lot), people enjoy the other stuff at a 7, but get annoyed at a 7, that isn't worth it. If you could get an enjoy at 7, and annoyance at say, a 1, might be.

The idea is more similar to pretending MoP was released before raids were finished, rather than saying "hey guys,twiddle your thumbs, wait while i do this".

I wish there was a way to preserve that type of atmosphere. I've missed it almost every expansion due to commitments, but i know guildies who do the whole rush thing, and it sounds like a blast. I'd actually enjoy pugging.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I wouldn't want 4-5 weeks delayed, but two weeks would be fine with me.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Yeah it wouldn't be 4-5 weeks..it would be more like 2-3. The entire purpose of this is to let people enjoy other things, and to allow even footing for those of us who can't no-life it for 48 hours once MoP drops.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
Wouldnt bother me that much, it usually takes make like 2 weeks to hit the max level and get the pre-raid gear for actual raiding. Still Blizz shouldnt force the hardcore competitive raiders to be held back for weeks if they are working for world firsts. For those that say its to stop ppl from rushing to level 90, we already got a whole continent to explore for the next 2 years so we got plenty of time for other stuff so delaying raiding aint gonna do much.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
ONE
I agree that they should delay raiding, but 2 weeks max and not so that they can release sooner. I don't want them to go to release without having the raids completely ready to go and then surprise surprise, "we aren't ready to launch raids at the scheduled 2 week mark, we'll hopefully have them ready in a month."

That aside, I do feel like there needs to be time to see everything the new expansion has to offer without feeling like you are wasting your time when you could be getting ready to raid. There are still some things from cata I've simply never done. No archaeology, only did vashjir up to point where I could get the tabard, never saw any of the cata rare bosses, didn't do the new BGs until I was done with DS progression, and didn't finish any daily chain for the mount reward when current.

At the same time though, I wouldn't want the gating to be too long, from what we've seen of the new heroics, they're all fairly faceroll, and comments from the blues pretty much confirm that this isn't unintentional under tuning. I wouldn't be surprised if we were done with the heroics within the 1st week of launch, and as much fun as pet battles looks, I don't think most of the little things would occupy time much longer than that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]