For dps in PvE should i do Fury or Arms? Why?

90 Human Warrior
I do PvE a lot but i dont do a lot of dps so i was wondering what i should do. Also what are the best "Powers?" thanks :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
ONE
This tier, arms is better for 4 reasons.

1: Gurthalak (The 2h Str sword of DW) scales extremely well with their mastery to the point where they have the highest proc rate of all the melee specs that can use it, even fury while dual wielding it.

2: Lots of unavoidable raid damage = lots of excess rage which arms benefits more from than fury.

3: Arms has better on demand AoE and Burst damage when that is the main requirement of most fights in DS.

4: Fury got hit with what was effectively a double nerf in 4.3 after a bug fix.

However at this point with MoP so close it's probably just better to look at what's coming up on beta to see which looks better. Fury usually has been on top, and its really only these bizarre set of circumstances that pushed arms over the top.
Reply Quote
65 Gnome Death Knight
Just read that you need to be stance dance so disregard Deathproof's notion of taking points out of Tactical Mastery and set up the stance dancing macros.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
06/11/2012 06:29 AMPosted by Willu
Just read that you need to be stance dance so disregard Deathproof's notion of taking points out of Tactical Mastery and set up the stance dancing macros.

You don't have to. It's a dps increase but it's nothing huge, and a loss depending on latency iirc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
06/08/2012 11:57 PMPosted by Deåthproof
Also regarding the way you spec. I would highly recommend taking those 2 points out of tactical mastery

No. Stance dancing is a must for arms. If you're not stance dancing it's either due to latency issues (where not stance dancing is a DPS increase) or failure to read up on current mechanics.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
06/11/2012 07:08 AMPosted by Sphyx
No. Stance dancing is a must for arms.

not a must. its a preference.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
For 5-man content and LFR/normal DS, it really doesn't matter what spec you're playing. Just pick something you like and faceroll your way to the end. Anything more serious than that content, you'll want to spec arms.

I stay with fury every chance I get, although I've found myself being forced to play arms on heroic/progression content when my damage output matters the most. The DS nerfs are making fury more viable in there, but arms is still superior in a lot of ways.
Edited by Cidfrostfire on 6/11/2012 9:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
Just wrong. Arms outdoes fury. Go check some parses and stop trying to claim fury is higher dps. It's not. Fury is not bad, but arms blows it out of the water.

You obviously don't get the purpose of stance dancing as you seemed to mention keeping rend up as being an issue of staying battle stance. When you need to use something in battle stance you change to it. Otherwise you're in zerker.

All of the top warriors are Arms. You are not somehow mysteriously smarter than them. Arms is by far better.

OP: Take a tip of disregarding someone from that poster not everyone else. He hasn't the slightest clue about his class.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Just don't listen at all to Deathproof. He clearly doesn't have his facts straight. As an 8/8 H warrior, I can tell you Arms is definitely the way to go. It gets more out of Gurth, it does better sustained damage than Fury by about 5% and it's AoE is just 1000x better. Spreading rend as arms and bladestorming is just godly. Also with stance dancing macros you can incorporate Whirlwind as Arms for even more AoE when necessary. The only real time to use Fury is when you need tons of single target burst. Our warriors only play it for H Spine and occasionally H Hagara.

Also stance dancing is a must for any serious Arms warrior. The reason we stance dance is because Beserker Stance gives 5% more damage than Battle Stance. By switching to Beserker for Mortal Strike, Slam and Whirlwind you can gain 5% more damage from those abilities. Obviously you have to switch back to Battle for Overpower, Rend and Thunderclap. The Warrior forum has more information about specific macros,
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
06/08/2012 11:57 PMPosted by Deåthproof
was just inspecting you and you have too much expertise as well as a few tank pieces which will kill dps

he's not max level

06/10/2012 07:35 PMPosted by Darthelmet
Arms has better on demand AoE and Burst damage

better aoe, yes... better burst no. There was a reason every warrior respec'd fury for spine.

06/11/2012 09:21 AMPosted by Cidfrostfire
For 5-man content and LFR/normal DS, it really doesn't matter what spec you're playing. Just pick something you like and faceroll your way to the end.

QFT

06/11/2012 02:53 PMPosted by Deåthproof
1. Arms has plenty of rage generation so you don't need the initial rage from switching stances.

Yea you do... you're losing a lot of rage (HS) if you don't take that and you stance dance.

06/11/2012 02:53 PMPosted by Deåthproof
2. You need to stay in Battle stance to keep rend up which increases the proc rate of Gurthalak if that's what you are using

Rend is kept up from MS with the LTTS talent... something you should be hitting on CD

06/11/2012 08:50 PMPosted by Faust
Just don't listen at all to Deathproof.

This... plus he was Arms for his last heroic ultra kill... (But Fury is so godly), and with MS being his 4th highest damaging ability i'd take any arms info he gives and do the opposite
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/elune/deåthproof/

Percentiles for Fury:
H Mor - 38%
R Mor - 23%
R Warlord - 21%
R Yor - 34%
R hag - 20%

Percentiles for Arms:
H Mor - 36%
H Yor - 28%
H Ultra - 27%
R Warlord - 63%
R Yor - 63%
R Hag - 52%
R Ultra - 66%
R Warmaster - 27%
R Spine - 33%
R Madness - 25%

So you realize that on most encounters you've done as Fury, 60%-80% of Fury warriors have done better than you. As Arms, your only slightly better than the average normal mode raider and on most heroic fight once again most Arms warriors are 60%-80% better than you. So I wouldn't exactly say you are the authority on warrior dps.

Considering I'm a tank, you can look as some good Fury and Arms warrior in my guildies here. That is, if ur looking to actually learn to play Death.

http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/gilneas/avengelx/
http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/gilneas/orenan/
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]