How to: Recruit a Friend Yourself to 6x80s

85 Dwarf Hunter
Many people seem to ask around for RaF partners, or wonder how they can make the best use of the 90 day triple-XP boost. I recently decided to do this, and wanted to share my (VERY) positive experience, and how I planned it out and executed. This guide is intended to allow a veteran player to level up to 6 characters to 80 in a VERY short amount of time, WITHOUT dungeon boosting, and using only 1 extra account.

**NOTE: This guide assumes the following:
1. You have access to full heirloom sets (head, shoulder, cloak, chest, weapon) for plate, leather and cloth.
2. You are a member of a guild with the 2nd tier "Fast Track" perk.

Here are the steps:

1. Purchase the WoW Battle Chest from Walmart or Best Buy for $20.
2. Log into your Battle.net account and send a RaF invite to yourself.
3. Open up your email and click the link to accept the invite. Log back into your own account.
4. Activate the Battle Chest product key on the new, recruited account. This will show up as wow2 etc (you may also digitally upgrade to Wrath if you want, needed later for leveling from 70-80)
5. Create a copy of your WoW directory on your computer, with the exception of the Cache and Interface folders.
6. Launch your main copy of WoW, go into options>video, set to "Windowed: Full Screen" and scale down all the graphics settings.
7. Do the same with your second copy of wow.
8. Install HotKeyNet, which will pass keystrokes to two windows simultaneously (WoW scripts for this are available online).
9. Fire up both copies of WoW and create your first pair of characters. Log them in and mail them their full sets of heirlooms, and have them join the guild. Make sure keymaps match on both.
10. One the secondary character, create the following macros:
- /follow <toon1>
- /assist toon1 /cast <dmg spell/attack> (create one for each dmg spell)
- /tar toon1 /cast <heal/buff>
11. Now, on your main toon1, create the macro /invite toon2. Invite them to a group, and ALT+TAB to accept on toon2.

You should now have a setup where you can press a key and toon2 will follow toon1, and when toon1 attacks a mob, toon2 also attacks it, and can also heal toon1.

Quest until level 15, when the real magic starts. Queue up as either 2x DPS, or even 1x Tank and 1x DPS if your toon1 is a tank. Accept and complete all dungeon quests.

Using this method, I leveled a warrior/priest combo to 31 in 3 HOURS. A single Deadmines run took them from 16 to 20. IN ONE RUN.

Now, back to the six toon plan, here is how I recommend you do it:

TEAM 1: TANK and DPS/HEALS (I did warrior/priest)
TEAM 2: TANK and DPS/HEALS (Pally/druid for tank, shaman/druid/paladin for heals)
- It is possible to do DPS/DPS, but your dungeon queues will be longer.
- Once you have two teams to 80, you have a total of 80 grantable "free" levels, BUT WAIT:
- Now level a THIRD TEAM to 44 (giving 22 levels to grant)
THEN:
- Use the THIRD TEAM to grant 22 levels to whatever class you still don't have (toon5)
- Use the SECOND TEAM to grant all 40 of their levels, bringing toon5 to level 62.
- Use the FIRST TEAM to grant toon5 his remaining 18 levels, giving you a level 80 toon5!
- The FIRST TEAM (level 80) now has 22 grantable levels remaining.
- Roll a Death Knight (quest to 58 and leave start zone) and then use the 22 levels to get him to 80!

You should now have:
TEAM 1: 80 tank (toon1), 80 DPS/HEALS (toon2)
TEAM 2: 80 Tank (toon3), 80 DPS/HEALS (toon4)
TOON 5: 80 DPS
TOON 6: 80 Death Knight

My personal choices were:
- Warrior (toon1) / Priest (toon2)
- Druid (toon3) / Shaman (toon4)
- Warlock (toon5)
- Death Knight (duh toon 6)

There you have it!
And you didn't have to wait for your "friend" to logon even once!

Enjoy! :p
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I keep meaning to do this, but I have so much stuff I want to get accomplished before MoP drops with my existing toons that I never feel like I can devote sufficient time to learning how to do multiboxing. But good guide.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Can someone clarify this for me? If I wanted to get the wow chest for $20, and do RAF with my husband, would it ONLY be $20?

Or would it be $20, then the $15/month?

Do you get free time with RAF/battlechest?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
Can someone clarify this for me? If I wanted to get the wow chest for $20, and do RAF with my husband, would it ONLY be $20?

it would be $20 then the subscription yes, but when you buy the battle chest the basic account gets one month free

quick tip, might only be in their stores or hell it might only be the one near me but Big Lots sells copies of WoW battle chest for $5-$10

edited for tiny text :D
Edited by Deathsmojo on 7/12/2012 6:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
But if you want the RaF mount, I think you have to buy an extra month.

For this technique, he has $20 invested in the basic game, then he later bought Wrath for another $20, then he got his 6 toons. 3 of those toons were on the new account, 3 were on his original account.

If he were to continue past the 30 day mark, he would need to pay the $15/mo for the new account, or transfer the 3 toons to his current account at $25 each (I think). So the total investment to get 6 on a single account is $115.

If this was for you husband, he would keep his account with his 3 toons going forward for $15/mo, plus having to buy Cata for another $40.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

You buy the game ($20 at most stores), giving your second account 1 month of game time.

If you pay for 1 month on your second account, you get a month free on your main account.

If you pay for 2 months on your second account, you get the RAF mount on your main account.
Reply Quote
52 Human Paladin
Great guide. ty.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Something about this just seems Illegal.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
is such more fun and fast to play with a actual player than doing this,

e leved a toon to lv 40 in a couple hours with a friend playing with me
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
As a-ma-zing as this guide is I usually just reffer real people so that I can have more friends that play wow.
btw..people IRL...
that I know
are my victims >:D
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
07/12/2012 06:43 AMPosted by Grandore
Something about this just seems Illegal.

not at all, blizzard has said several times they have no problem with it as long as the person who owns both accounts is actually in control and not some bot or power leveler

meaning you could literally open two Wow windows on your PC
log in both accounts, put one character on follow and just go and quest/dungeon even pvp (which i wouldn't recommend unless you have some multibox experience and set up macros and have a keyboard/mouse clones etc.) and get the xp bonus and they are completely fine with it
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Nice guide, but you end up with what... 3 lvl 80 toons(total of 6) on each account with practically no gold, no ilvl gear to allow you into dungeons, and no professions. You can't play lvl 80 content nekkid.

And while dungeon lvling you'll need to deal with idiots that will easily be able to tell you are dual boxing/ running macros to play. And you'll have to back-track to get basic gear/lvl professions.

I'd rather just play the game and lvl normally via questing/exploration for both gold/proff lvling, and enjoying the world environment. Why power through a game instead of playing it?

But thats they way i play. :)
Edited by Frostbringer on 7/12/2012 6:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Im not sure where the 6 toons comes from. Just solo leveling gets you level 85 in <70 hour of total play time (with about 15 hours being the last 5 levels). So with linked accounts with 3x bonus and level grants, playing 5 hours a day you could have 12 85s over the 90 day account link with a ton to spare.

Just normal leveling solo, through level 40 an average time per level is 20 minutes and thats with hardly any rested bonus and only doing a few dungeons (only for quest rewards and never more than once). The heirlooms make you Overpowered so you should always be moving to high density orange quest nodes all the time. With permanent 3x XP and bonus levels, i wouldn't waste time running dungeons, I'd focus on the quest rewards. Orange quests give 5-10% of a level, so with 3x bonus, you'd be getting 15-30% per level. How long does it take to do 3-6 quests, 5-10 minutes, and you get gear, no need to win a roll.

Regarding gear and you can start lvl 80 bare, you get so much gear from quest rewards that you're never lacking for gear, especially since the heirlooms carry the day anyway. In terms of skilling up professions, its much easier with flying mounts and the ability to run solo through dungeons to collect mats.

Is this for the brand new player, no, i'd recommend playing the game straight and enjoying the great storylines and content, its awesome. But as someone with a lot of overall play time over the last 7 years, I'm not really interested in replaying all the quests and storylines for the 11th time, this is the way to go.
Edited by Flimflam on 7/17/2012 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
Just a couple of questions.

1. What is the purpose of creating a second copy of Warcraft on your computer? You can run two copies of warcraft from the one folder. Am I missing something?

2. It is my understanding that heirlooms are tied to the account; in this case, your first account. Therefore you cannot send heirlooms to the second/recruited account. This is my understanding, please let me know otherwise.

3. I already have a registered battle chest account. Can I use RaF with this or will I need a second battle chest account?

4. Will this work with a digitally purchased copy? Or it must be a boxed copy of the battle chest?

Thanks a lot. This is fantastic by the way. Like an earlier poster said. Doing quests and immersing ourselves in the game is great the first or even second time. Not the 8th.
Edited by Chacarron on 7/17/2012 6:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
Just a couple of questions.

1. What is the purpose of creating a second copy of Warcraft on your computer? You can run two copies of warcraft from the one folder. Am I missing something?

2. It is my understanding that heirlooms are tied to the account; in this case, your first account. Therefore you cannot send heirlooms to the second/recruited account. This is my understanding, please let me know otherwise.

3. I already have a registered battle chest account. Can I use RaF with this or will I need a second battle chest account?

Thanks a lot. This is fantastic by the way. Like an earlier poster said. Doing quests and immersing ourselves in the game is great the first or even second time. Not the 8th.

1. you use the same files yes

2. you can recruit your same battle.net email your first account is on and mail the heirlooms to the second account BoA means bind on battle.net account, not each WoW account

3. no the account has to be 100% brand new, you need to buy another battle.net chest
Reply Quote
45 Human Warlock
People normally asking for raf friends here do it because

1.) They are basement virgins and don't have any money. Mommy pays their bills.

2.) They don't have any Real life friends because they life revolves around a game.

So suggesting multiboxing to these people is like asking a cow to do break dance.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
A fine guide, and should be good for anyone only on a current single account (I have 2 accounts which I purchased long before RAF came out, and while I find the monthly payment for 2 accounts to be manageable, I can't fathom paying ~$45 per month for WoW by getting a third).

As someone already pointed out, you don't need to duplicate your WoW files, though I'm unsure if not doing so causes decreased performance. I manage fine with 2 windows from the same files though, and don't need to worry about only being able to use one account per installation (due to cached files and setup).

I'll also add that 1) levelling up this fast and via dungeons means that your toons will be pretty low on gold when you hit crucial points (ie. mount trainings), and will also tend to be undergeared. So heirlooms help, but keep that in mind if rolling toons on new servers. 2) wait as long as possible into the 90 days to donate levels. Ideally, you want those levels to be granted as high as possible in order to get the best use out of them. For example, giving a lv 1 a free level is a complete waste, whereas giving a 79 a level is the best use of the system.

Personally, I don't find the idea of self-RAF very solid - unless you're on a single account and don't mind paying 2x the monthly fee for the utility that 2 accounts offers. If you're going to transfer all the chars from the second account to the first after RAF ends (or you use up your initial game time), you just spent a whole lot of money on the RAF + transfer costs. If you start going into the 3+ accounts range, you're spending a lot of money on the game for functions you can usually do with 2 accounts.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]