Arcane Mastery

Is the a mastery cap for arcane mages or a certain point where you stop reforging to mastery and go crit? Or do arcane mages simply only stack mastery, after hit of course?

Thnx in advance for any insights and information.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
No cap.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Is the a mastery cap for arcane mages or a certain point where you stop reforging to mastery and go crit? Or do arcane mages simply only stack mastery, after hit of course?

There is no cap on mastery however, Arcane Mages should be stacking intellect wherever possible over mastery (mainly in gems).

Also, most spreadsheets out there will value along the following:

Intellect>Spellpower>Hit>haste (soft cap)>mastery>crit>haste (past soft cap)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Isn't the soft cap for Arcane (with the 4pc) something around 1268 rating?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
1268 non-goblin

1124 goblin
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
OTL

There is no cap on mastery however, Arcane Mages should be stacking intellect wherever possible over mastery (mainly in gems).

Not too sure about that, every mage that is actually raiding or that i've rolled with just stacks mastery as their number 1 stat.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/06/2013 10:04 AMPosted by Blackxtyrown
Not too sure about that, every mage that is actually raiding or that i've rolled with just stacks mastery as their number 1 stat.

Nope. Try again
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage

Nope. Try again

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/twisting-nether/Blatty/advanced

He's just one Mage though, yeah.

Next time I'm Arcane I'm going to run a Simc and see where the scale factors are currently at for me. I think I have 15k mastery buffed? With Scorch weaving, it's easy to maintain above 85% mana all the time, making Mastery really strong right now. 5.2 might change all this with stack resetting.
Edited by Digerati on 2/6/2013 11:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
Supposedly mastery is the highest dps stat for arcane mages.

However, in my own personal experience, I get better results with stacking haste. I feel more maneuverable and better able to keep up my stacks when I stack haste instead of mastery.
Edited by Mistwynd on 2/6/2013 11:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage

This was true last expansion and the one before that. But I don't think it's true this expansion.

This is because Blizzard changed the stat allocation on gems. In MoP, almost all gems now sacrifice 2 points of a secondary stat to get 1 point of a primary stat. Yes, point-for-point int is the best stat. But it's not so good that 1 point of int is worth more than 2 points of your best secondary stat. Because of this, it's now probably best to avoid int on your gems where possible.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

This is false in virtue of the fact that gem itemization provides twice the mastery for every point of intellect. Were it the case that a gem provided equal amounts of intellect and mastery (+80 int and +80 mastery, for instance), it would be better to stack intellect; however, point-for-point, higher dps obtains from stacking mastery of int. The same is true for haste build arcane mages stacking haste over int and fire mages stacking crit over int.

Check out Elitist Jerks' Fire compendium, icy-veins, mmo-champion, or noxxic. All 4 say the same.
Edited by Mordekai on 2/6/2013 12:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
The posts that you're all discussing are from last expansion FYI.

02/06/2013 10:06 AMPosted by Envii
Nope. Try again

Just because you're doing something doesn't mean it's correct. Most of the top mages are mastery stacked, and we do it for a reason.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
If you're not gemming straight mastery you're doing it wrong.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Kazara\Magic, you guys have far more haste than I. Mind you, your ilevel are much higher which likely factors in.

Kazara, what variable are you moving towards with haste is it 1268?
Magic, are you simply valuing haste>Mastery when you reforge - hence your stats are aligned very highly with haste.

Would appreciate any comments on my build and setup? I can tell you that I haven't noticed a big DPS jump when I added my robe. (had the 483 tier piece). I scotch weave - trying to maintain a 90% mana level. My Arcane Blast goes off somewhere between 1.8/1.9 seconds without the raid haste buff. Scorch is 1.4 seconds.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
The posts that you're all discussing are from last expansion FYI.

Nope. Try again

Just because you're doing something doesn't mean it's correct. Most of the top mages are mastery stacked, and we do it for a reason.

My recollection is that the best mages are stacking mastery because at a certain ilvl point, Mastery greatly surpasses Haste. Until then, though, Haste is slightly preferable. It's been a while since I cared to check, though.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
This was true last expansion and the one before that. But I don't think it's true this expansion.

That reply was from the last expansion.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Kazara\Magic, you guys have far more haste than I. Mind you, your ilevel are much higher which likely factors in.

Kazara, what variable are you moving towards with haste is it 1268?
Magic, are you simply valuing haste>Mastery when you reforge - hence your stats are aligned very highly with haste.

Would appreciate any comments on my build and setup? I can tell you that I haven't noticed a big DPS jump when I added my robe. (had the 483 tier piece). I scotch weave - trying to maintain a 90% mana level. My Arcane Blast goes off somewhere between 1.8/1.9 seconds without the raid haste buff. Scorch is 1.4 seconds.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm reforged for fire right now, so I wouldn't go off my current armory. That said, my haste is high even as arcane because gear has haste on it, and it's better than crit. I always prioritize mastery over haste.

As far as your setup, I would consider using expertise (hit)/mastery gems in red sockets instead of int/mastery. Also, if you can get the raid finder elegon trinket (or the normal one of course) it's way way better than the raid finder sha trinket. The rest of your gearing looks solid. Do you always use gyph of arcane power?
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Magic, thanks very much for your thoughts.

Your comment about the expertise\mastery gem makes really good sense as this would give me 80 more points (160+160 vs 80+160). I'll make that change.

With respect to Arcane Power - yes I always use it - what do you suggest otherwise - I like that it lines up with Alter Time.
Edited by Trekie on 2/7/2013 10:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
74 Pandaren Monk
02/07/2013 01:21 AMPosted by Kazara
If you're not gemming straight mastery you're doing it wrong.
....troll

if you are putting int in over mastery you are playing litch king patch,,,if you are putting mastery over int then you actually know what you are doing and playing MoP expac....

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kilrogg/Envii/advanced 529 ilvl...says gem int...ok next
Edited by Pandrew on 8/29/2014 9:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]