Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Buying Guide

100 Blood Elf Paladin
Steam does not allow that. You will have to use a fancy method to change where Steam installs games to.

One such method is hard linked directories.
6 Blood Elf Hunter
Steam does not allow that. You will have to use a fancy method to change where Steam installs games to.

One such method is hard linked directories.

Alright, thank you.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I am not sure how many people bought a stock Radeon HD 7970, but if you did, I have a news for you today.

You can apply the HD 7970 GE version of VBIOS to the stock normal HD 7970, and it'll perform just like that.

Not bad.

AMD just loves screaming 'HEN-SHIN!' with their top-end cards. :x
85 Human Paladin
I seriously believe the OP should be a sticky!
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes, you can.

74C is a decent temperature.
100 Human Paladin
Hey Kalg, kindof a stupid question, but when Install a SSD in my computer, do i have to reinstal everything like normal installation, or can i just swap folders between hard drives?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Corave:

Not really a server motherboard. No one in the server business is going to buy an EVGA motherboard for their company. They'd buy trusted name brands like Tyan.

But yes, you can say it's for "servers", and yes, it supports two 3930k.

IMHO, total waste of $ for average users.

750W max for two 670s. That said, is he building the PC for just gaming? If so, 3930k is not worth the money.

Paladinchaz:

It is recommended that you reinstall clean on the SSD, especially if games and other big stuff are installed on the drive that has the OS.
100 Human Paladin
So my windows boots up pretty fast on my normal Hard drive, should I not bother transfering over my OS to a SSD and just move my games to it?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
You have to move the OS + all programs (that needs to be properly installed/relies on registry) to the SSD. Games too (except those that don't need to be 'installed' or does not use registry like most MMO games), unless you are willing to work with Windows Registry.

You also have to enable msahci if AHCI wasn't used at the time of the install. You also have to disable Windows Defrag from ever running on the SSD, as well as doing few other tweaks manually.
100 Human Paladin
I see, thanks
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I got a problem.I bought all new parts for a new computer recently and got them all put together at the place I bought them.I got the driver cd's for the disk burner,video card and the motherboard aswell as the windows 7 disk.I haven't had any problems sofar except I just cannot install the motherboard one.

My motherboard is an Asrock z77 extreme 4.When I insert the disk I have the option to install all,then it will restart.All good so far.Ill tell you all the text that shows when I try to continue the installation process on the start screen:

Driver disk preparer v1.07 -asrock incorperation all rights reserved
model name:z77 extreme 4

Generate serial ATA driver diskette:[Y/N]?

I press N then it tells me to press any key to reboot the system so I do.It reboots almost instantly then shows me the exact the text.SO I repeat the process,except this time it sends me to the BIOS screen.

I exit out and decide to insert a flash card and press Y(also mentioning I had important !@#$ on it and had to save it to another computer because this process would wipe the flash card clean).So it reboots and goes to the exact same screen.So I remove the disk and just start windows 7 normally and when I enter the flash drive it has a bunch of useless 'read me' folders and no application for installing anything.

I can't even use the internet on the new computer because quite a few drivers(including the network adapter) are on the disk.So short version,how come when I try to install the disk driver it does basically nothing?
85 Goblin Death Knight
@Nysonga...I just had the same issue putting my new box together (ty for all the help Kal). What I figured out, was that the motherboard disk has its own boot routine. When restarting your computer, make sure that you change the bios to boot from the drive rather then the disk.

Once you are back into windows, the drivers should finish loading. At least that was my experience.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
@Nysonga...I just had the same issue putting my new box together (ty for all the help Kal). What I figured out, was that the motherboard disk has its own boot routine. When restarting your computer, make sure that you change the bios to boot from the drive rather then the disk.

Once you are back into windows, the drivers should finish loading. At least that was my experience.

Thanks, that definately help, now I just have another problem.Windows can't seem to detect my 500g HDD,sorta.It shows up in device manager(and is up to date) but isn't detectable on my computer. Anyone know how to fix this?It shows my SSD and External drive just fine.

Also any needed programs I should install now that I have a fresh Windows 7?Is Microsoft security essentials worth downloading?
85 Goblin Death Knight
Thanks, that definately help, now I just have another problem.Windows can't seem to detect my 500g HDD,sorta.It shows up in device manager(and is up to date) but isn't detectable on my computer. Anyone know how to fix this?It shows my SSD and External drive just fine.

Also any needed programs I should install now that I have a fresh Windows 7?Is Microsoft security essentials worth downloading?

Is it an empty drive or do you have data on it? If it is empty, try formatting it, and windows should recognize it. Otherwise, not sure what to tell you.

Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, HWManager (?) to monitor your CPU and GPU temperatures.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ah thanks.Your advice helped alot. I now have both the SSD and the HDD ready to use. Just a question, is there anything else I need to do with these two to optimize which programs load/get saved etc?Or do I just save most of my programs to the HDD except the ones I used frequently?

And I use steam to and would like to see an improvement on the games I play, and Kalgan mentioned something about Hard linked directories.How would I go about having steam in my HDD but my games load through my SSD?

Edit:I also notice when I download things(for example) Adobe reader it wants to go into my program files folder which is in my SSD directory.Is it possibly to safely move my program files and program files (x86) folder(and possibly my user folder) to my HDD so there's more space on my SSD?
Edited by Nysonga on 7/20/2012 9:44 AM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
As noted in the guide:

1) OS and all programs should be on the SSD. Place only the games you play tons on the SSD to save time loading (if it has a long loading time). Programs like Adobe Reader, etc. are not big.

2) Stash all other games, music, movie, documents, etc. on the HDD.

3) When you install things, you generally are given option to change where it goes to.

4) As for the Steam, yes, you can hard-link directories so where Steam 'installs' games to is actually SSD. Steam Mover fulfills this purpose perfectly and easily (without having to futz with mklink command):

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover
85 Undead Death Knight
Hey Kalg sorry for not updating for awhile but I burned out on WoW and took a few months break. The card I received after the one with VRAM issues works fine, and I've been using it for while now with no issues, although Crysis at 1920x1280 maxed out makes it see 67 C >.>. Normally it's in the low 50's though.

Thanks!
Edited by Aeox on 7/20/2012 6:09 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]