Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Buying Guide

I bought an Acer Aspire 7750g about a month ago. It seems to be a very hard to find laptop, and the day after I bought it from Circuitcity.com for $500 it disappeared it also disappeared from tigerdirect.com.

It has a 7670m, a Dual core i5, and a 1600x900 display.

It runs the games I want it to just fine, except in WoW I get random blue screens. Sometimes I can go all day without getting one, but sometimes I can get several in the space of a few hours. I'm 99% sure it's the AMD drivers (What I've read from other reports + AMD hasn't updated the drivers since they were initially released with the 7xxxM series cards).

Does anyone know anything else about this?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
When you get a bluescreen, it should tell you where minidump of RAM is saved.

You should upload it, and I can find out what's wrong.
Edited by Kalganized on 6/6/2012 11:09 AM PDT
When you get a bluescreen, it should tell you where minidump of RAM is saved.

You should upload it, and I can find out what's wrong.

I see where my minidump files are, but I don't know how to upload it for you. Figuring it out now.

Edit: I found a reviewer on Amazon that is having the exact same problem that I'm having.

"My BIGGEST problem is that the AMD/ATI 7xxx hybrid mobility series gets very limited support. They have not had updated drivers for this in a long time, and the autodetect software does not recognize the 7670M. Several users, including myself, experience blue screens caused by ati.sys or get an error showing a "display adapter has stopped responding and has recovered" error. Frequent bluescreens during games is terrible for a unit i bought for some light gaming. The only selling point to me was the video card, and without it functioning properly, this system is, in essence, pretty useless. Also, the most updated drivers off Acer website are very, very old."
Edited by Elision on 6/6/2012 11:34 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You can also attempt to use modded latest beta drivers:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=363830
You can also attempt to use modded latest beta drivers:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=363830

I'll try them, thanks.
85 Troll Hunter
Intel i5-2300
Intel i5-3450

Looked at Newegg comments for both of these and people say they run kind of hot with stock heatsinks. I know you said not to worry about non-stock heatsinks if you aren't overclocking, which I'm not, but do you still think these would be alright with stock? Just need some reassurance I think.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
They will be alright with stock. You would have to have either:

1) Really badly ventilated case with maybe just one fan

2) Badly heated up room

3) PC in direct exposure to a sunlight

For the heat to be a problem.
85 Troll Hunter
Alright, getting an HAF 912 and don't have any of the problems you listed so I guess I'll be fine. Thanks ^^
90 Human Mage
It took me a little while to get everything set up, but I'm running WoW on ultra settings with 60 FPS in SW and 40-50 in 25 man LFR.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Not sure if I remember what build you went with, but if my guide helped you out with what parts to get, glad I could be of help. ;)
90 Blood Elf Rogue
This is the stats of my computer as of now.

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name STEVENSON-PC
System Manufacturer eMachines
System Model ET1331G
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 235e Processor, 2700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date AMI P01-A0, 8/13/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Stevenson-PC\Stevenson
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.75 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.99 GB
Total Virtual Memory 11.5 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.18 GB
Page File Space 5.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

[Hardware Resources]

[Conflicts/Sharing]

Resource Device
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x0000000F Direct memory access controller
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x0000000F PCI bus

IRQ 20 High Definition Audio Controller
IRQ 20 NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller

IRQ 21 NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
IRQ 21 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

IRQ 22 NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
IRQ 22 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

Memory Address 0xFEC00000-0xFFFFFFFF System board
Memory Address 0xFEC00000-0xFFFFFFFF Motherboard resources

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus

Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xCFFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xCFFFFFFF PCI bus

Memory Address 0xD0000-0xD3FFF Motherboard resources
Memory Address 0xD0000-0xD3FFF PCI bus

[DMA]

Resource Device Status
Channel 4 Direct memory access controller OK

I am wanting to run wow at 45 - 50fps in 25 man raids, hectic BGs, and in major cities and 60fps everywhere else. On High graphics settings. I am on a budget of about $200. What graphics card do yall recommend?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you want that from raids and cities, you need a new CPU + motherboard combo, as well as new graphics card and power supply.

Basically, a whole new computer.

WoW is a very CPU intensive game in those situations.
90 Gnome Rogue
realized i should have posted here instead way too late, going to abandon my other topic since you seem to be keeping up with this one.

So I have a friend who will build me a gaming computer as long as i can pay for the parts, if it matters we live in southern California to give you an idea of the retail options we have in our area.

I'm trying to keep the cost under $1,500 dollars for a gaming computer that will be able to handle future games for 4 to preferably 6 years.
My house does get dusty with so many people living in it. I have heard there are cooling systems without fans so I'm curious.
I tend to use the computer for internet, watching streaming vids like netflix, and playing games like WoW, Starcraft, Command and Conquer, and Portal. If it matters i tend to leave a lot of notes on the desktop.
And when I'm playing these games i like to alt tab out of them to look things up on the internet without too much loss in speed.
And I'm using Norton antivirus at the moment, i know people say you can get a free antivirus online but i really cant afford to have my comp break down on me so i like having the best protection.
Anyone out there have any good suggestions for me? I have last month's MMO-Champion set up
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2764-Fishing-The-Anglers-Blue-Posts-Setup-of-the-Month-Poll
and game informer's latest issue with a few suggestions on page 38 in front of me

i don't know how to build computers, i'm hoping some of you can give me suggestions or tips on what parts to get, i'm even willing to go over that amount by $100-$200 if its a huge difference.

Please and thank you for whatever help you can give me.

then after reading up on here

** Build 3: Won't overclock. Give me a pretty good system just under 1k

Note: If you want the capacity to run SLi / CrossFireX, you will have to upgrade the motherboard to either Biostar TZ77XE3 ATX -OR- ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX.

CPU: i5-2300, or i5-3450
Motherboard: BIOSTAR B75MU3+, or above
RAM: Any 2 x 4GB RAM while keeping my notes (DDR3-1600, 1.5v)
Graphics: Radeon HD 6870 or GeForce GTX 560
Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W, or other similar power supplies
SSD: 120GB Intel 520, or other similar non-SandForce SSDs
Hard Drive: 1TB, or above
DVD Drive: Cheap DVD burner
Case: HAF 912

Estimated cost: ~$902 ~ +++
Estimated FPS in WoW: ~50+

k this looks pretty good but ill have some cash left over, i doubt ill try to get my system overclocked i want it to last me for years

any more suggestions?
im leaning towards GeForce GTX 670 @ $400
and towards buying a monitor whose native resolution is at least 1920x1080. with a response rate of below 5ms.

would i need to change any of the above to change the graphics card? anything else i can upgrade and stay under $1500?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Don't forget that the build does not include OS, so that's extra $100 already if you don't have a copy of Windows 7.

That plus GTX 670 plus a monitor would be about $1400 total.

You do not have to change any of the above to power the GTX 670.

However, if you aren't ever going to play very demanding 3D games like Battlefield 3, GTX 670 is honestly wasted, and you would be more than happy with GTX 560 / HD 6870 performance.
Edited by Kalganized on 6/9/2012 1:09 AM PDT
85 Orc Warrior
Posting this is on my PC I built with help from you and your guide. Thank you Kalganized!
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Well what is a Graphics card for cheap that will at least run 20-40 fps in a raid and big cities. And 50-60 fps everywhere else on high or ultra graphics settings?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
As mentioned, you will need a new CPU before you can see good FPS in raids/big cities. With old Athlon X2 low-power CPU, even if you got a $600 graphics card like GeForce GTX 680, you will not see 40 FPS in raids and big cities.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152336

Would this system be able to perform at Ultra?
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I guess Im going to start building my own gaming computer. So for starters is this a good CPU for WoW. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes, but not needed for WoW. Read through my guide, and you will find out i7 is not recommended for gaming.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]