Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Buying Guide

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Go with that case only if money is not an issue. Otherwise, consider HAF 912.

Z77 should only be bought if you will do SLi/XFire with your graphics card. If you won't, buy a B75 motherboard (I have few recommended in the guide).

GTX 570 is not a good buy when HD 7870 can be bought for a similar price.

650W not needed for a single GPU setup; 650W iffy for SLi/Xfire setup. So: If single GPU, 500~600W max. If SLi/Xfire, 750W is a comfortable range for most.

There are cheaper RAM modules with same stats.

I assume the accessories (like keyboard), you really want to buy them.

Dell U2412M is a nice monitor, BUT should not be bought if color reproduction of the monitor is not crucial. You will also find a much better deal on the Dell U2412M if you talk to Dell directly. If color reproduction is not crucial, go with a typical TN panel monitor instead.
90 Human Paladin
Hey Kalganized,

I wanted to touch bases with you on what you thuoght of this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157304

It has 2X Sata 6Gb/s slots, which I kind of want in case I want to slap a second SDD in there some day.

Would this work?

Thanks!
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The 2 6 Gb/s slots are pretty damn close to the PCI-E 3.0 slot. Should work, but just making a note.
90 Human Paladin
Hnnm after looking again I think I'll go with the Gigabyte B75 you have on the first page.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128540

One new question, I looked at CPUs again and fount this 3470:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115234

It looks like it is 1 step up from the 3450 but the same price and even has a $15 promo code. Again, I'm not so savvy with the acronyms and model numbers, but I assume this will work in place of the 3450 for cheaper!
90 Undead Mage
Is it worth the 100$ to get a Radeon 7970 instead of a 7950?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, the CPU will.

That said, the Gigabyte has only 1 SATA III 6Gb/s port, unless you chose it knowing that
86 Undead Death Knight
Hey Kal if I have no knowledge of how to put together a computer would it be better to buy the parts and have some else build it or buy a decent desktop already made? Im trying to follow your guide but I am getting nervous about wondering how I would put it together. I am in the budget range.
90 Human Paladin
Okay I think I finally have my final build here. It is pretty close the build #3, very close.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15718274

I hope everything looks okay.

Thanks again Kalganized.
85 Undead Death Knight
@Tevinter

I mentioned it in the other thread but PCs aren't hard to put together even if you have no knowledge of it. The instructions included with parts (from my experience) are quite good. If you really really don't want to put one together yourself then I'm sure you can either get a computer literate friend to help you out or failing that, you can pay someone to put the parts together for you. It boils down to:

-Put motherboard into case
-Put power supply into case
-Hook up HDD, CD/DVD drives
-Plug in CPU, GPU, RAM, additional cards (probably none if you're a basic PC user)
-Connect cables.

The hardest part is getting the right stuff plugged into the right places in your motherboard. Instructions included tell you where everything is at though. After that it's just installing your OS, programs, games, etc. It may take you a while for your first try but taking your time and following instructions will get you there. It's a nice sense of accomplishment building your first PC.

The biggest thing to worry about when putting a PC together is to keep yourself grounded so you don't fry anything with static electricity. Sounds scary, but a grounding strap (they're cheap) or just making sure you touch a metal surface before handling parts solves that issue.

I'd still be interested in hearing if any pre-built PCs are as good as one you can build yourself (for comparable prices). Been building my own for years and as far as I know, it's the best bang for your buck.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Tevinter:

If you know someone that can put it together for you, that would be a better idea than buying a pre-built PC.

Although it may appear daunting to build a PC on your own, consider checking out PC building videos on YouTube. It may make it look much simpler than you might think.

Ricalloo:

Looks good overall, but if I were to make a suggestion or two:

1. Samsung SSD is nice, but Vertex 4 is just as good and is good deal cheaper.

2. Extra case fans are not necessary, but if you'd like them, go for it.
90 Human Paladin

Ricalloo:

Looks good overall, but if I were to make a suggestion or two:

1. Samsung SSD is nice, but Vertex 4 is just as good and is good deal cheaper.

2. Extra case fans are not necessary, but if you'd like them, go for it.

Oh no need for extra fans? Just the two in the case are good, eh? Sweet! I guess the CPU and video card, and even the Power Supply have their own fans.

For the SSD, I looked at the Vertex 4, which is about $30 cheaper, but a lot of the ratings showed issues updating the firmware. That scares me a little bit.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Okay, it's your choice. It's good as it is. ;)
90 Human Paladin
07/27/2012 07:25 PMPosted by Kalganized
Okay, it's your choice. It's good as it is. ;)

Thanks a ton again for all of your help. This was an extremely useful guide.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Np. ;)
90 Undead Mage
Is it worth the 100$ to get a Radeon 7970 instead of a 7950?

Sorry for re-ask(?). Been at this a couple hours and I cant think straight so sorry if one of the responses was directed toward me.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Depends: Do you want to have absolute top performance? Then HD 7970. Otherwise, HD 7950.
90 Undead Mage
With the 7950 would I be able to do 40 mans, DS, or what ever it may be on ultra?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
HD 7950 is overkill for WoW purposes.
90 Undead Mage
Oh alright. Thanks.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you just wanted good FPS for WoW, I would not go beyond $230 graphics cards like HD 7850, or at most, HD 7870 for $280ish. Even HD 6870 / GTX 560 can easily do Ultra (shadows @ high) in WoW with raids.
Edited by Kalganized on 7/27/2012 8:07 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]