Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Buying Guide

90 Undead Mage
Could you give a frame of reference for games like Minecraft or WoW on ultra while frapsing?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Depends massively on a lot of other factors, but with fraps, you need good baseline system too (CPU / drive). That said, I'd consider HD 7850 / HD 7870 for your needs.
90 Undead Mage
Basically I have The Overkill category but with a different case for aesthetic purposes.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If money is no object, go for Radeon HD 7970 if you want to have top-end performance in any game you play.

Otherwise, yeah, if money needs to be saved, HD 7850 / HD 7870.
90 Undead Mage
Out of the 7850 and the 7870 is either one much better than the other?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The 7870 is much better due to the presence of 2 6-pin PCI-E power plugs, usually allowing them much more overclocking headroom than a 7850, although there are few 7850s with 2 6-pin PCI-E power plugs.
90 Undead Mage
Alright thanks. That's all I really needed to know.
100 Worgen Priest
tlc
I have a question about the HAF 912 case fans. My Biostar B75MU3+ has a three-pin fan power control connector, but the cord that came with my power supply (A PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK II 500W) has four pins. I was assured that this should be no problem, but the last time I tried to connect my case fans to the motherboard fan control I stopped getting post beeps. I just got back my mobo from an RMA so I'm a little bit paranoid about trying to make that mistake again. So here's my question: is there any reason I should be bothered that my case fans are constantly rotating at 100%?
Also, due to the RMA I had to clean the old layer of thermal paste from the CPU and heatsink fan and reapply a layer. I followed the instructions on Arctic Silver's website for applying the paste to an i5 processor with the stock fan, but since this is the first time I've had to apply it manually I don't have any expectations for a good spread. What is the best way to confirm that my application of thermal paste is adequate and won't cause the CPU or motherboard to overheat?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If you connect case fans to power supply, they will run at 100%. By connecting them to the motherboard, you can control how fast they run through BIOS / a program like SpeedFan.

Arctic Silver requires a week or two for it to 'perform at optimal level'. So we won't know until then.
71 Night Elf Mage
CPU-Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core-$149.99
Motherboard-ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155-$114.99
Memory-G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 -$45.99
Hard Drive-Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM-$77.99
Video Card-EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB-$149.99
Case-Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower-$49.49
Power Supply-Antec 550W ATX12V-$61.99
Optical Drive-Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer -$16.99
Monitor-Asus VH236H 23.0"-$139.98
Operating System-Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)-$89.64

Total= $897.22

How does this look?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Looks good, but there are few things you can do to save $:

1. If you won't SLi/Xfire (I doubt you will), drop the motherboard to one of the B75 motherboard

2. I assume the Antec is 80 Plus Bronze certified. If not, get something else.

Otherwise, the build looks fantastic.

If little more money can be spared, I strongly recommend buying an SSD (120/128GB, one of the recommended performance models).
71 Night Elf Mage
Switched the motherboard to ASRock B75M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard-$64.99
Switched the hard drive to Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk-$159.00

What if the power supply is just 80 Plus certified no bronze?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Getting an SSD doesn't mean you should replace the 1TB drive you chose; SSD and the HDD will work together, with HDD containing movies, music, pictures, documents, and -all other games- you may have. The SSD will contain the OS, programs, and choice games you play the most.

Only buy SSD alone (and no new hard drive) ONLY IF you can keep the usage below 110GB for everything.

That said... 80 Plus plain is OK, but I strongly recommend 80 Plus Bronze certified, IE) Seasonic 520W, PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W.
71 Night Elf Mage
So I added a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive and switched the power supply with the Seasonic 520W. How exactly would the two drives work together? Could they both be used at the same time? I honestly have no clue, never had a SSD or even two hard drives.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, they can be used at the same time.

When you install Windows 7, you will install it on the SSD. All programs will also install on the SSD. Games you play the most should go on the SSD.

You will move all movies, music, pictures on the 500GB hard disk, as well as all other games you don't play as much.
71 Night Elf Mage
I look at this computer you helped me built...I look at all other computers I have looked at..I can't believe how stupid I am lolz Thank you soo much for helping me. I know I was probably kinda annoying with all the questions :p and i still got one more, what exactly is a monitor response rate?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
LCD-based monitors have what's called 'response rate', usually advertised with 'X ms' where X is a number. This number today doesn't have TOO much bearing on the monitor quality, but basically, lower that X number, less chance you'll see 'ghosting' on the monitor. Any quality monitors you buy today will not really have any ghosting problems, so I wouldn't worry TOO much about it.
71 Night Elf Mage
Would it be safe for me to get a CPU Cooler since I rarely turn off my computer?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Stock CPU cooler that comes with the CPU is sufficient since you will not overclock.
71 Night Elf Mage
what sound card would you recommend?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]