Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Buying Guide

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Okay then, look for an OC'd GTX 670. These cards come within 1~3% of GTX 680 performance for $100 less.

Unless you will SLi, a 600W (max) is sufficient. Even OCs will not increase power requirement that much. Same with the CPU fan. 4.2 GHz is easily done by cheaper coolers like Hyper 212+ / EVO.

Well, if you really like the fancy case fans, go for it.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Current Ivy / Sandy Bridge CPUs can hit 5.0 GHz, as can AMD FX CPUs, but it takes some luck.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Some top-end Sandy Bridge-E (X79) motherboards can have up to 128GB of system RAM
90 Blood Elf Paladin
None for gaming or general purpose PC usage
90 Blood Elf Paladin
More VRAM will help with anti-aliasing / higher resolution gaming, but these will also require good GPU power, so giving 4GB VRAM to a Radeon 5670 would be a total waste
90 Night Elf Druid
06/21/2012 12:16 AMPosted by Breadisfunny
More VRAM will help with anti-aliasing / higher resolution gaming, but these will also require good GPU power, so giving 4GB VRAM to a Radeon 5670 would be a total waste

does increasing ghz increase processing power? also when they talk about l2 l1 and other types of data caches what does that mean?

I am getting together a list for a pc build this thread is a nice bit of help. My question is , even with higher budget rigs people are told to turn off AA, is it really that much of a drain and what is the performance perk to turning it off vs leaving it on?

Also right now im on an old machine like 7 years old single core AMD the old 939 socket dont laugh..but I get 25 to 30 fps in org, out in the world this goes up to 60, but in raids it plummets to 0 to 10 lol. So yeah I need to get a new rig, but you mention fps with your build and is that fps in raids or basic fps. Because I go by what fps you can pull in 25 man DS as an example to choose a build. Out in the world isnt taxing so much.

And I am still leery of going the SSD route, right now my drive is 40 GB used up, would SSD be enough for me, considering I am only using 40 gb now? And how stable of a drive is it.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
AA does impact performance, especially on a budget graphics cards. nVidia and AMD has introduced tricks which to give AA-like graphics enhancement without AA-like performance penalty (FXAA and MLAA respectively).

If you get a decent mid-level graphics cards, AA can be left on in many games with playable FPS.

The FPS mentioned, as noted in the guide, is very rough estimate for raids/crowded cities.

Yes, if you are only going to use 40GB and not so much more than that ever, a single 120/128GB SSD would be more than sufficient. They are generally stable enough that they can be used as a main drive.
90 Pandaren Warrior
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/azY8

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: XFX 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Asus VE248Q 24.0" Monitor
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

Great guide it helped out a lot.

Just want to get some input / suggestions with the build I currently have picked out. I do plan on overclocking the CPU and I will eventually go to 3 monitors with the GTX 680 in SLI and a full water cooling system. So basically I'm building this so I can throw any game at it on ultra.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Will mention you would be fine with 750~800W power supply rather than 1000W unless you aim to tri/quad-SLi
90 Pandaren Warrior
06/21/2012 03:56 PMPosted by Kalganized
Will mention you would be fine with 750~800W power supply rather than 1000W unless you aim to tri/quad-SLi

I figured the PSU I was looking at might have been a little overkill. Thanks for the input I will look into some lower wattage PSU's.

As for compatibility did everything look ok?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Not sure if Level 10 GT supports Corsair H100, but otherwise, looks good to me.
85 Troll Druid
Hey Kal!

you said to avoid cheaper IPS Panel monitors, but you also said to check out the Asus ones, so i was just wondering what you though of this one, thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236205
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd google more and find if there's any legit reviews done on it. Generally, they all use LG panels anyway, so it should be OK, but you never know.
Edited by Kalganized on 6/21/2012 9:03 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
Excellent posts. This should be a sticky.
85 Orc Warrior
Kalg, I mentioned I would get the H100, but do you think it's worth the $110-$115 upgrading from a CoolerMaster V6 GT? I would like to future-proof, but not sure what's your opinion?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]