The Future of PvP in Mists of Pandaria

Community Manager
With the Mists of Pandaria beta in full swing we thought we’d take this opportunity to shed some light on what lays ahead for PvP. To that end, we sat down with World of Warcraft Game Director Tom Chilton to discuss the future of PvP in Mists of Pandaria.

Read the new blog article then discuss it here.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I'm the first. I like the changes. I can't wait to put WSG and TP on my do not sign up list. also having the BG bonus for the entire week will be good. And the new BG's sound like they are going to be really fun, particularly the second one. Although I am curious as to how often the world bosses that are taking the place of BH and WG are going to respawn? Will it be every tuesday, every day, every half hour?
Edited by Ramsês on 6/5/2012 9:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
What about getting one of these battle grounds before MoP? I think we would all love a fresh item.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I have a few questions. First of all I am sure you are aware that not all players on PvP realms wish to have any part in world PvP at all, and that these new changes could certainly see to it that large guilds camping certain sections of the world is an extremely likely possibility. On top of this the flying mount limit for Pandaria will not do much past the first few days, as all it will do is stop lower level players from getting away from level capped players that annihilate them in a few hits. I like the addition of a dismounting item, but multiple questions arise such as fall damage, also I do hope that they won't be so ridiculous as to be so quick that you can use it on a player mounting up trying to get away from world PvP.

It also sounds like you are attempting to make quest hubs a PvP zone, I think many people can agree that that is inherently a bad idea. I chose this realm because it was suggested to me when I was new, and I have 10 toons on here, 8 85s, I don't plan on paying ridiculous amounts of money just to avoid being camped endlessly by horde at quest hubs just because I am trying to experience the new expansion and actually level.

You seem to be putting to much reliance into cross realm zones to balance the odds out, but toss in one guild group of people and it's game over. I can understand wanting to force players into the world for PvP like that when the only thing happening is PvP, but it is not something I nor many many other players that I know want to have to deal with when leveling. It is very possible that leveling in Pandaria will exceed new levels of frustration because of these world PvP changes, and I really do hope that you are thinking about those unfortunate players on PvP realms that don't play on them to have their entire playing experience completely dominated by being endlessly killed at quest hubs, and don't give me that "Just get your guild to help" bologna, that just causes them to bring more and then you dragged all your guildies in to be endlessly killed as well.

But seriously though, the design of limiting flight in pandaria is fine, but the situation where one level 90 will pretty much be able to camp any sub level 90 for pretty much forever because of the 310% mount speed versus 100% mount speed is pretty ridiculous. I can't wait to level my alts...
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Any chance we get more specific info about cross realm zones soon?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
"We did some internal testing with just one artifact and discovered that the gameplay devolved into a sort of deathmatch in the center of the map.

Just a thought, I've noticed in a lot of BGs that most players tend to fight in the middle of WSG/ EoS/ etc. while completely ignoring the objectives of the battleground. Maybe people want a mindless deathmatch? Sorta like a 10v10 arena everyone could queue for, and the first side to be completely wiped out loses. *shrug*

But I'm REALLY looking forward to these changes. I'm unsure how I feel about the dismount item though. I can deal with getting camped, but I can definitely see a huge QQ fest incoming. It would need one hell of a CD.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
First of all I am sure you are aware that not all players on PvP realms wish to have any part in world PvP at all,

Then transfer. I don't always want to participate in world PvP either. You know what i did? I went to a non-pvp realm. Turns out i haven't had a case of world pvp when i haven't been flagged.

Seriously rolling on a PvP server equates to you raising your hand and saying, "I am fine with PvP no matter what situation. I am fine with being randomly ganked. I willingly accept those consequences." IF you don't want to PvP on a PvP realm get off of it.
Edited by Shredow on 6/5/2012 9:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
First of all I am sure you are aware that not all players on PvP realms wish to have any part in world PvP at all,

Then transfer. I don't always want to participate in world PvP either. You know what i did? I went to a non-pvp realm. Turns out i haven't had a case of world pvp when i haven't been flagged.

Seriously rolling on a PvP server equates to you raising your hand and saying, "I am fine with PvP no matter what situation. I am fine with being randomly ganked. I willingly accept those consequences." IF you don't want to PvP on a PvP realm get off of it.

Some people play WoW with RL friends who are on pvp servers. Such is my case. Sure, I can transfer, but I'd greatly prefer to play the game with my close friends.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Some people play WoW with RL friends who are on pvp servers. Such is my case. Sure, I can transfer, but I'd greatly prefer to play the game with my close friends.

So all the people that play on PvP servers because they were designed for that very thing, should have their fun ruined by people such as yourself because you rolled a server you didn't really want to play on? Come on already.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

Then you'll have to deal with the world PvP. Simple as that.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
06/05/2012 09:27 AMPosted by Katarn

We have information about cross-realm zones in our blog article here-

We'll be keeping an eye on this thread for any additional questions or feedback btw and try to answer what we can as soon as we can.

I'm unsure how I feel about the dismount item though. I can deal with getting camped, but I can definitely see a huge QQ fest incoming. It would need one hell of a CD.

Hopefully, we'll get it into the beta at some point so that players can get it and test it out. We'll be looking for constructive feedback on it for sure as to whether there's too much of a cooldown, too little of one, availability (too available, not available enough etc.)
Edited by Nethaera on 6/5/2012 9:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Yeah, that's great and all, but the reason there's no "World PvP" is that people don't want a fair fight, they want to "Pwn n00bs". There are about as many people who want a good fight as there were twinks who were "only in it for the challenge".
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
06/05/2012 09:42 AMPosted by Nethaera

We have information about cross-realm zones in our blog article here- us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/5393667/Cross-Realm_Zones_Coming_to_Beta-5_10_2012

We'll be keeping an eye on this thread for any additional questions or feedback btw and try to answer what we can as soon as we can.

I had one specific question with cross realm zones. Maybe I could get an answer here.

If someone attacks an NPC that's on a different server, will all servers get the /worlddefense warning that the zone or specific location is under attack?
Reply Quote
81 Orc Warrior
These ideas sound great on paper, but a lot of them are "been there, done that, it didn't work out as planned". So why try them again?

Why is this a problem? Faction imbalances. They exist, they are real. On some realms, they are overwhelmingly tilted to one sides favor. This will affect world bosses, world PvP, quest hubs, and now that you're weakening city guards, day to day life.

1) World bosses? Azuregos anyone? The faction with the bigger numbers wins. Not to mention, having to park a scout out in the middle of nowhere to nab the boss simply was.not.fun. At all. Not even a little bit. How will you prevent this?

2) Quest hub PvP? I hate to sound so gloomy, but when something can be used to grief another person, someone somewhere in the world will abuse it. This idea would be great if everyone killed the other person, got their quest, and went on their merry way. This doesn't happen. Instead, I've seen instances (and have done it myself as revenge) where someone gets camped until they log off the game. The idea of bringing your buddies in for backup sounds great unless you have a less populated realm, don't have any friends on at the moment, or are behind the leveling curve.

3) World PvP? Non instanced PvP zones? Halaa? This was another great idea on paper, that never quite worked out. For all the reasons stated before.

4) City raids? Yes, they are fun when they happen randomly, and take a ton of coordination to carry out. They are not fun when you are the lower population faction. They are not fun when you need to get stuff done and your flight master is dead and your vendors are dead and you can't do anything. Southshore and Tarren Mill were fun, and I"m nostalgic for them also, but I know that they would be an incredible frustration to me now. Back then, that was all the PvP we had, and not much else to do. Now we have stuff to do, you've given us a ton of busy work and reputations and quests and professions and achievements and transmogs and not enough time to do them. Having to wait longer because our city is under constant attack is not fun anymore.

I know I sound like Debby Downer, but a lot of this has been done and didn't work out. Why are you going back to it and presenting it as new and exciting? I'm not excited, sorry.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
I am a very happy PvPer seeing this! I have been hoping for some world pvp for so long<3

Any chance to give incentives to actually go out just for the thrill? I like the encouragment with putting it at quest hubs and stuff like that, but I'm worried it will be very frustrating and not as fun for people who are there to do a task only to be ganked by a group of friends who are decimating everyone.

I like that actually, I just think getting people out there specifically for hunting players rather then to go do some quests and happen to see an enemy(witch is awesome I think, but there should be something beyond that too)for the thrill of the kill might be hard.
Edited by Jaytun on 6/5/2012 9:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Mage
This has been looooooooooooong overdue.

Though I would suggest also kicking the RP in MMORPG up a notch with this.

Group Guard Spawning Mechanics + Flavor

With guards not being as tough and spawning less often, I believe there is a good opportunity to implement some roleplaying flavor into the Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game that is WoW.

Have city guards spawn rarer and be weaker, but have them spawn in teams instead of at random one by one like they do now.

Have them spawn in a group, a team composed of a guard captain and his footman retinue, shouting some flavor text before engaging.

Add flavor AND a feeling of threat from the guards, since a team of, say, half a dozen to a dozen guards rushing at you is substantially more threatening than random solo guards attacking your raid/party and suiciding alone.

However, because the guards will be weaker and their spawning less frequent, they would not be as horribly overpowered as the guards are currently in Cataclysm.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
06/05/2012 09:32 AMPosted by Elethea
"We did some internal testing with just one artifact and discovered that the gameplay devolved into a sort of deathmatch in the center of the map.

Just a thought, I've noticed in a lot of BGs that most players tend to fight in the middle of WSG/ EoS/ etc. while completely ignoring the objectives of the battleground. Maybe people want a mindless deathmatch? Sorta like a 10v10 arena everyone could queue for, and the first side to be completely wiped out loses. *shrug*

But I'm REALLY looking forward to these changes. I'm unsure how I feel about the dismount item though. I can deal with getting camped, but I can definitely see a huge QQ fest incoming. It would need one hell of a CD.

in regards to the dismount item, certain classes already can do this,(mage=polymorph, shaman=hex) it is just being spread out so anyone will be able to, which is not a bad idea imo since it gives everybody the same advantage rather than just a couple classes.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
06/05/2012 09:40 AMPosted by Katarn

So all the people that play on PvP servers because they were designed for that very thing, should have their fun ruined by people such as yourself because you rolled a server you didn't really want to play on? Come on already.

No way! I adapt. If I get ganked, I accept that I'm on a pvp server and it's just going to happen. No complaining, no biggy. I don't mind that the quest hubs are essentially going to turn into pvp warzones. I'm just going to have to adapt to it and get crafty if I'm not in the mood to get camped.

I was just bringing to light that people rolling on a pvp server with 0% intention of pvping isn't always just some idiot expecting blizzard to bend over backward for them and change the rules of the server. Sometimes RL friends just play on that server, they really don't have a choice.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]