Leveling new priest: Advice?

85 Night Elf Hunter
I just started my adventure on a new priest. This will be my fourth one! I've already created a transmog for her, and it looks amazing. Going for a super-hero type look. Transmogrification is my main reason for leveling different class/race combos anymore.

But here's the thing.
I've -always- played as Shadow, and it got boring pretty quickly. I want to try out healing! My highest healer is a level 40 druid, and none of my mains over the years have ever been capable of being a real healer. (Mend pet, band-aids, campfire, spirit beasts heals, and setting down Intravenous Healing Potion apparently don't qualify me. /scoff. ;P)

What do you recommend as far as specs? I searched through the forums and a lot of people are saying disc for starting out at lower levels. I believe this, as I once knew a level ten twink disc priest. Breaking her bubbles took three weeks and a blood sacrifice.

As I level up, about what level would you switch to Holy?

Stat priorities? How useful is spirit anymore?

And finally, I have NEVER used macros on a character. Any advice on spell macros that will help me out? :)

Thanks all <3 and sorry for the wall of text!

Edit: Please don't send me to a website. I don't learn well by just reading "this is wut u do, kay, do it this way always yes." I learn by reading along -with- examples, and a lot of asking questions. I'm one of those who inquisitively replies with "Why?" For example, when I first started playing a Hunter and PvPing, I always used steady shot. One day my friend told me this was wrong, and to use cobra shot. If he had just said that, I probably wouldn't have. I would have been all "Nowai, I use this shot. restores focus. good stuff." He pointed out that cobra shot also restores focus, and renews my serpent sting on the target. Blew my mind! Been using the proper shot ever since. I could have very likely gained this knowledge by reading tool-tips, of course, but I most likely overlooked it.
Edited by Bekkaboo on 6/7/2012 3:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
You can level as Holy starting from level 10. There is nothing wrong with healing dungeons in this manner. If you are solo questing, Disc will be much easier at least until Holy can spec into Chakra.

Most of the answers to your questions can be found in this guide: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3595673916

Edit: For what its worth, I linked that before your edit showed. Oh well. It has all the answers you need and more for leveling and max level Priesting.
Edited by Ashleycakez on 6/7/2012 3:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Alrighty, I'll take a peek at it, but it's likely I'll pop back to ask questions :) Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I like the way that guide is written so far :) I hadn't noticed it there before you linked it. First time saying this, but thanks for a link :3
Edited by Bekkaboo on 6/7/2012 3:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Feel free to ask additional questions here or on that thread. ^.^
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Alrighty, I'll take a peek at it, but it's likely I'll pop back to ask questions :) Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I like the way that guide is written so far :) I hadn't noticed it there before you linked it. First time saying this, but thanks for a link :3

ABSOLUTELY pop back here to ask more questions! We absolutely understand that not everyone is an expert after one read of a guide :D

Also, Ashleycakez is one helluva priest. All her info is golden. Feel free to post questions at the end of her guide; it helps keep the whole post "up front" for other priests who come here looking for info. Blizz is being really negligent about getting a Disc guide stickied for us (Elethia also wrote an excellent guide - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3595673916 - which a number of us link along with Ash's guide for people to read).
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter

ABSOLUTELY pop back here to ask more questions! We absolutely understand that not everyone is an expert after one read of a guide :D

Also, Ashleycakez is one helluva priest. All her info is golden. Feel free to post questions at the end of her guide; it helps keep the whole post "up front" for other priests who come here looking for info. Blizz is being really negligent about getting a Disc guide stickied for us (Elethia also wrote an excellent guide - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3595673916 - which a number of us link along with Ash's guide for people to read).

Thank you :D I do think by what I've read so far that I would enjoy being Discipline.

Do you have any tips on stat priorities? I would highly appreciate it :) I read a bit about what mastery does for each spec, but no real list of what to look out for on gear is posted yet.

I actually like that guide, as she forms things in the ways of questions often, and they're questions I would ask! It makes it much easier to have things explained.
Edited by Bekkaboo on 6/7/2012 8:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
There is no "BiS" gear for healing Priests. You pick a stat combination and go with it.

Mastery: Increases the amount PW: Shield absorbs (lesser effect on Divine Aegis).

Haste: Decreases the cast time for all spells. Decreases the global cooldown (thus, it effects PW: Shield and other instants).

Crit: Increases the chance to get 200% heals and application of Divine Aegis. When Prayer of Healing Crits, the Divine Aegis bubble applied is larger as it double dips (procs DA and then procs another one on top of it).

What this means:

If you are looking to gear for 5 man dungeons I would recommend either Haste > Mastery >> Crit or Mastery > Haste >> Crit. Why? Because at lower gear levels the stats are harder to come by and additional Haste or Mastery are guaranteed stats. Crit is a bit too rng for a starting Disc Priest at 85.

As you are leveling: Pick up whatever has Intellect. Spirit will become more important to a Disc Priest as you get closer to Cata content. Once you gear up at 85, Spirit will become less important as your mana pool grows. Disc Priest regen comes from Intellect (Rapture talent).

For more advanced raiding stuff, I would recommend you read my response to this thread: http://www.howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1445
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Thank you very much for answering that question :) That's quite helpful.

I usually just spec into whatever looks like something useful, without looking into what will really help. This time I'd like to do a character correctly, which is why I'm taking the time to figure things out. She's only level ten at the moment, because I literally started her a bit ago, but I'll be looking to make sure I attempt to get things properly sorted.
I usually just stick with main stats, and whatever's on the gear is on the gear. I understand that this is not optimal, and that's what reforging is for.
I think as far as her gear goes and using what you've explained, I'll go for Mastery > Haste > Crit.

Is there a general percentage of these secondary stats that I should aim for?

Edit: Side note, holy balls (excuse the pun. holy damage, the graphic is... holy balls <_<. heehee.) Penance is insane so far. I just stroll up to a mob, cast it, and it falls over dead. From reading the tooltip, it's even better of a heal. Is penance still highly valued at higher levels?
Edited by Bekkaboo on 6/7/2012 9:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
At higher levels, Penance's value is as a heal (which is very important to us).

If a Disc priest heads out to quest in Disc spec, they're likely to end up using Penance too, but its damage is nowhere near as effective in higher levels as it is to you at lower levels.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
At higher levels, Penance's value is as a heal (which is very important to us).

If a Disc priest heads out to quest in Disc spec, they're likely to end up using Penance too, but its damage is nowhere near as effective in higher levels as it is to you at lower levels.

Alright, thank you :D I solo quest a LOT, which is why Disc's damage output (While certainly -not- as high as the healing capabilities, obviously) and it's healing are attractive to me. I have a few Loremasters, and no doubt if I like this character I will likely do it again.

Also, I provided a bump to the forum you both linked me to. The guide is useful. I also requested it receives a sticky, so that nobody else needs to post like this again and repeat more and more threads on subjects such as this. :3
Reply Quote
50 Blood Elf Priest
Greetings and good morning :) This is Bekkaboo's Priest. I figured I'd begin posting on her, seeing as these are indeed the Priest forums.

Enjoying disc so far, last night in a BG I was top dmg, top healing, and had the 2nd most killing blows only under a Hunter. :) Wee!

Thank you all for your help so far :)
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Here's my 2c in this matter. First decide what you want to do while leveling up. For instance, do you want to ease into healing and then find your stride later or do you want to be a purist and entirely heal? Do you wanna be the protective anticipating type or the reactive type?

I personally liked leveling disc on my first priest because I liked dpsing in low level dungeons while healing. It was a good way for me to move from my resto shaman who failed at elemental towards my dps toons later and it could be a good way for you to move from all dps toons to a healer.

TBH in my book neither are really better or worse overall, my core raid team has a holy priest and a disc priest and both of us are happy with our specs. It's all just a matter of taste and really I'd probably suggest you do what I did while leveling and either at 30 or some random point you are at, get the other healing spec that you didn't pick at first. Play with the spec, feel it's mechanics and base your final decision on how you felt playing it. I did this at 85 after having retired my priest and unretiring herto become the dps/heals for our raid and it was an eye opener for me to try holy after I had retired my priest disc because me and disc didn't get along but holy was a lovely little safe haven.
Reply Quote
50 Blood Elf Priest
Thank you for the advice, Julibubbles. The way I level is doing quests and dungeons with the occasional battleground. For this, I need to do damage. But I also want to heal.

Which is why I chose disc, because with talents like evangelism and atonement, when I pewpew I heal. And that's awesome. :3
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]