Should I start playing again?

90 Orc Warlock
I was somewhat ok at this game back in TBC, did a lot of PVP'ing as SL/SL. I'm kind of debating coming back to the game but after so long it all seems a little overwhelming. How long would it take me to level up to 85 from 70? What would a good leveling spec/strategy be? Does the Warlock work in the same basic way it did back then?

And I'm assuming I would need to buy WotLK and Cataclysm?

Maybe I should just play Diablo III and forget about this game...
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
I was somewhat ok at this game back in TBC, did a lot of PVP'ing as SL/SL. I'm kind of debating coming back to the game but after so long it all seems a little overwhelming. How long would it take me to level up to 85 from 70? What would a good leveling spec/strategy be? Does the Warlock work in the same basic way it did back then?

And I'm assuming I would need to buy WotLK and Cataclysm?

Maybe I should just play Diablo III and forget about this game...

Things have changed alot and you can no longer go like 1v3 and pwn face. The warlock play style has evolved alot. Its going to require much work to become competitive again, the skill level of all players across the board have risen exponentially. When you come back you might find that you're not very good in comparison at all. Its upto you, but if you decide to pursue pvp its going to be a challenge. Whatever you do though, dont come on this forums and QQ, we have too much of that as it is. Good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I'm not much of a forum QQ'er to be honest, just trying to get a little information. Back then Warlocks had their problems too, especially against melee. We were just always strong in 1v1 fights due to fear except against Rogues.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
I'm not much of a forum QQ'er to be honest, just trying to get a little information. Back then Warlocks had their problems too, especially against melee. We were just always strong in 1v1 fights due to fear except against Rogues.

Rogues will still give you trouble, as will Dks (a class introduced in wrath), we really only shine in rated pvp ( arenas and rated battlegrounds) and group pvp, and sometimes in random battlegrounds in the hands of a skilled player.
Reply Quote
Having to leave in mid TBC and come back at late Wrath (and had to finish leveling THIS toon), i recommend you realize that it has changed a lot. SoC is NOW worthless unless Aflliction, no more See Invis, FG cant hold agro for long etc. I would suggest you play and know you MUST change your habits as some of our spells have changed and you will have to adapt.

As for PvP, we are now more of a support class helping others to usually get the kill. We have our uses, but we are no longer the cloth tankies we were in TBC. Also even our pets have changed so be aware, it is much different and will be hard to take it all in at once.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Being a cloth tank was kind of fun. Oh well. If I start leveling, how long would my current gear last me before I was trashing it for higher level greens?
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
honestly keep that toon at 70 and pvp in that bracket and make a new toon like a mage and hunter and relearn the game its way diffrent than youll remember and its good to relearn alot. leveling is alot faster now untill about 80? meh in general. 99% of the quests were changed at the start of cataclysm and if you havent played them they are way better than the old ones. also depending on the server there is always dungeons.

this lock was my level 70 bg toon for a while and it was alot of fun as destruction aff was ok but destruction had backlash and free soulfires and it makes running and killin alot easier especially now with lock portal.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Being a cloth tank was kind of fun. Oh well. If I start leveling, how long would my current gear last me before I was trashing it for higher level greens?

If you ever get a piece of gear that gives more int than your current gear, use it. This will likely be at level 72ish.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Int...stacking int as a Warlock used to be the dumbest thing you could do. That has changed?
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Int...stacking int as a Warlock used to be the dumbest thing you could do. That has changed?

Yes.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
06/07/2012 06:10 PMPosted by Skeld

Int now gives spell power, so it's kind of a big deal.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
06/07/2012 07:39 AMPosted by Chin
Things have changed alot and you can no longer go like 1v3 and pwn face. The warlock play style has evolved alot. Its going to require much work to become competitive again, the skill level of all players across the board have risen exponentially.

I wouldn't say this is the result of player skill increasing, so much as the changed class design philosophy and overall class homogenization. The way PvP is now, if you go 1v3 as any class, and everyone is of equal quality gear, and has it properly gemmed/enchanted/reforged, the side with 3 could pretty much literally faceroll their way to victory (provided they had their keybinds set up for facerolling).
Edited by Vreivai on 6/7/2012 7:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
06/07/2012 07:39 AMPosted by Chin
The warlock play style has evolved alot.
Degressed a lot.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I suspect if I get good gear and learn the game as well as I knew it back then I would end up in about the same spot in the ranks. People are people still.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I would start a new toon until mist(new xpac coming soon) hits since even many casual players are in full cataclismic gear already. So it would be best to go try the new content as a mage ,or somthing so when mist hits you can get to 90 ,and be in the same boet as the rest of us will be in. Atleast thats what I am doing since I stoped really playing this guy when 4.2 hit.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'd recommend waiting a month or so until the functionality (talents etc) of Mists is patched onto the live servers before you start playing your lock again, Warlocks are changing a lot in Mists, so if you returned now, you'd essentially learn how Warlocks are now, only to have to relearn a lot of stuff after a month or so.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
06/07/2012 11:51 AMPosted by Skeld

Swap up your gear but put that set in void storage so once you reach max level have max level gear you can transmog it back to what you're currently wearing. That is unless there is another armor set that strikes your fancy more than what you're wearing. Simply put if you find a piece of gear you like keep it so you can use it later. For example this hat will go right beside my level 20 grim reaper esque scythe in my bank.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Hmm, yeah I figured that out that I can hold onto this gear and make whatever I want look like it eventually. That would be cool and give me a little "old school" flavor if I make it to the good gear again. Although I like Season 2 better than what I'm wearing now. I'll have to look in my bank as I'm not sure what happened to my old gear...can't imagine I would have destroyed it??
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]