The Doomhammer

(Locked)

90 Human Mage
06/03/2012 05:57 PMPosted by Vesran
To be fair, Thrall's been painted with a messianic brush since his very conception. It's only in WoW and more recent years that things like flaws have been added to his leadership and character in a vain attempt to make him a more well-balanced character.

Eh... Kind of getting off-topic here, but...

I honestly felt, at least with WoW, it was the inverse: Thrall started out as a decent/good ruler that had quite a few problems with his regime (mainly, keeping the people under him in line), but started losing those flaws when he abdicated and put the focus on his shamanism. By the time of Dragon Soul, he seemed, to me at least, to have become the "perfect" messianic figure.
90 Troll Hunter
06/03/2012 05:52 PMPosted by Drailen
I give up. But yeah I wouldn't exactly compare the Doomhammer to Captain America's Shield. It's just not a tool for defense at all. It's a tool for punishment.

"It's called the Doomhammer because when it's owner takes it into battle, it spells doom for the enemy."

- Orgrim Doomhammer

You're right, it brings justice by bringing doom to the wicked.
90 Human Paladin
06/03/2012 06:23 PMPosted by Pyronaptor

Sir Anduin Lothar was not "wicked".
90 Troll Hunter
06/03/2012 06:27 PMPosted by Egrem

Through blood the weapon shall pass, as surely as night begets day, Until the elements cry unheard, and pride turns to unbridled rage. The last of the line shall deliver salvation and doom upon his kind. Honor will be undone and all will be lost, before it is found again. A stranger will raise the hammer high, and with it justice shall reign.

Edited by Pyronaptor on 6/3/2012 6:28 PM PDT
85 Night Elf Druid

You obviously never shared a gym with that steroid-pumper
Yeah, through doom.

Let's recount some of the uses it has had, shall we?

You take issue with the violent nature of justice, then... not with the weapon itself.
90 Human Warrior

He meant after the Orcs reform. Obviously Anduin Lothar isn't wicked.
06/03/2012 06:14 PMPosted by Marriama
I honestly felt, at least with WoW, it was the inverse: Thrall started out as a decent/good ruler that had quite a few problems with his regime (mainly, keeping the people under him in line), but started losing those flaws when he abdicated and put the focus on his shamanism. By the time of Dragon Soul, he seemed, to me at least, to have become the "perfect" messianic figure.

Of course, there is the fact that Thrall used the Doomhammer to wade into an Alliance civilian population in Stratholme during 'Of Blood and Honor'. The square was crowded, and they hurled lightning and spears all over the place, pretty much ignoring combatants from non-combatants. When he walked down that street in Tirion's pov, crushing footmen left and right, that's a pretty objective perspective of justice.

Thrall's justice has never been a form of universal justice. He's always taken the side of justice for the Horde. But from that perspective, he totally upholds that prophecy. For the Horde, he's been pretty much a flawless messianic figure right up Wrath when they began to introduce Garrosh. It was at that point that the Forsaken Plague reared its ugly head, the conflict in Ashenvale was highlighted in the comics and novels, and the repentant nature of his choices in settling and leading the orcs began to shine as a weakness rather than a strength.
06/03/2012 09:44 PMPosted by Vesran
that's a pretty objective perspective of justice.

All justice is a matter of perspective.

Thrall's justice has never been a form of universal justice.

There is no "universal justice".

He's always taken the side of justice for the Horde. But from that perspective, he totally upholds that prophecy.

Precisely.
Edited by Brukk on 6/3/2012 9:46 PM PDT
I hate what they did with thrall. Yea he was a boring leader, but I hate when they overdo it with the all-powerful character that has to save the world.
I wanna know what happened to the !@#$%^- knife on top of the doomhammer. Remember that?

Remember when Orgrim was known as the "backstabber" because he straight up murdered Blackhand? You can't backstab someone with a mace.

Also, it's a bit of a !*@@ move for Thrall to essentially scribble his gang sign on his mentor's namesake. But that's just me.
Oh yea that pic with him holdin blackhands head? Honestly the lore between even wc1-3 had completely different directions.
85 Night Elf Druid
06/03/2012 08:34 PMPosted by Brukk
You take issue with the violent nature of justice, then... not with the weapon itself.

Justice is not violent by nature. If you walk into a court room, I assure you that mallet the Judge has is not actually there to leave the guilty in a bloody pile on the floor.
Edited by Drailen on 6/4/2012 4:59 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
06/04/2012 04:59 AMPosted by Drailen

Justice is not violent by nature. If you walk into a court room, I assure you that mallet the Judge has is not actually there to leave the guilty in a bloody pile on the floor.

court would be sooo much more interesting if it was though.
Obviously Thrall put the Frostwolf symbol on the Doomhammer. The weapon belongs to Thrall and he'll put whatever symbol he wants on the Doomhammer, regardless of prophesy.

We are talking about Thrall after all.
85 Tauren Paladin
06/04/2012 01:55 AMPosted by Omacron
I wanna know what happened to the !@#$%^- knife on top of the doomhammer. Remember that?

This. That picture with him holding Blackhand's head with blood dripping from the Doomhammer stuck with me.

Also, welcome back if you were ever gone.
Edited by Spacemuffin on 6/4/2012 7:56 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]