Elune

(Locked)

100 Night Elf Druid
Elune is a cheese elemental.
100 Undead Rogue
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

I'd trust a priest of the Naruu to tell me about the Naruu just as i'd trust a priest of Elune to tell me about Elune.

if the Velen says there are similarities, i'd believe there are similarities but if the Elunite priests can speak to the diffrences, I wouldn't ignore those diffrences.
100 Undead Rogue
06/13/2012 03:43 AMPosted by Vekter
When did Naaru create entirely new species? Worgen, Moonkin, ect. all made by Elune.

It is belived that naaru can "prettify" races that like them. Compare Draenei to Eredar. The final issue of the Wow magazine confirmed that elves are related to trolls, the Know Your Lore section of the Joystiq webiste has a write up on it. The similarities between these two evolutions indicate that the same thing might have happened to them.

I think your looking at the Draenei and the Eredar backwards. demonic coruption tends to "beastialize" races. This is confirmed throughpout lore. There's no indication that the Draenei ever changed from anything else because of their relationship with the naruu.
100 Night Elf Hunter
But, velen has immortal powers...doesn't he know?

And can see the future. And is the most powerful priest in the known universe of Warcraft. And he's over 25,000 years old. Prehaps double of that.

He tried to tell the Orcs that their spirit-mountain was only special because a Naruu was sleeping beneath it. They didn't believe his claims, although he was very well aware of what he was talking about. And guess what. He was -right-.

Just maybe, just maybe, he is on to something with this whole Elune deal.

If he had that much of a clue to the divinity of a people he's only just met, you think he might have had enough of an insight into avoiding the slaughter of his own people on Draenor.

Our great mother is not a floating chandelier in disguise.
Edited by Drahliana on 6/14/2012 6:15 AM PDT
100 Night Elf Hunter
06/13/2012 08:45 PMPosted by Jacksprat

It is belived that naaru can "prettify" races that like them. Compare Draenei to Eredar. The final issue of the Wow magazine confirmed that elves are related to trolls, the Know Your Lore section of the Joystiq webiste has a write up on it. The similarities between these two evolutions indicate that the same thing might have happened to them.

I think your looking at the Draenei and the Eredar backwards. demonic coruption tends to "beastialize" races. This is confirmed throughpout lore. There's no indication that the Draenei ever changed from anything else because of their relationship with the naruu.

Not only that lore states that Elune tried to keep her children AWAY from the Well that changed them.
100 Night Elf Druid
06/14/2012 06:16 AMPosted by Drahliana
Not only that lore states that Elune tried to keep her children AWAY from the Well that changed them.

Why did she?
06/14/2012 06:16 AMPosted by Drahliana

This is from the RPG books.
100 Blood Elf Priest
06/13/2012 10:40 AMPosted by Drahliana
But, velen has immortal powers...doesn't he know?

He might be immortal, but he's the new kid in the neighborhood. He's just looking at Elune in draenei terms. Because to him the only figures of Light are Naaru.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

He's from another planet totally, and from HIS experience, it seems as if Elune is like a Naaru.
85 Worgen Druid
Well Blizzard has said before that Elune is the only "true" god we've seen thus far in the WoW universe. That by itself means Velen is wrong because the Naaru aren't gods and that has been said repeatedly.

As for why Velen would say that, he saw similarities and he mentioned them, the end. It all comes down to perspective. When you look at something, especially when you're trying to figure out the "why" of something, you rely completely upon your own experiences.

Assume for a moment I come a place where there are no bats, (or other random flying creatures that don't possess feathers). If I caught a glimpse of a bat flying in the sky I would call it a bird. I would say this because, to the best of my knowledge, there are no creatures that fly that aren't birds. Obviously I would be incorrect because I wasn't using enough criteria to eliminate all the possibilities. And its not that I was doing it malicious intent, I just literally didn't know better.
60 Night Elf Priest
Where does Velen say elune is a naaru? Like, what novel or short story?
85 Worgen Rogue
10/10/2012 11:25 PMPosted by Maevyne
Where does Velen say elune is a naaru? Like, what novel or short story?

It's from Ask CDev.
63 Draenei Paladin
Elune uses Arcane magic which comes from The Twisting Nether AKA The Void so she might be an Arcane Shadowless Void God(Arcane might be Void without Shadow since Shadow and Arcane magic do different types of elemental damage).
90 Troll Priest
There are powers of necromancy present here.
89 Blood Elf Death Knight
Ok, let's see if we can adress the original question, rather than debating what kind of magic is granted by Elune.

The prophet Velen, who's experience with the narru and light-given abilities of divination are undisputable, said he saw similarities between the effect and powers granted by Elune to the Kaldorei and the effects and powers able to be granted by the narru. However if he said Elune herself is a narru (can't remember his exact words) then he was making a big jump to an un-supportable conclusion.

I for one have always found quite a bit of likeness between the narru, the titans, the old gods, and Elune. All immensly powerful, unimaginably ancient beings with sketchy origins. And excluding the old gods, they are all bent on creation, the forces of good, etc. However the distinction is drawn when you look at what we know for certain about the narru and Elune. The narru are creatures of the Light, which is known to be a force of good, but not necessarily 'good' in and of itself. Elune is a generally benevolent being who can also be considered a force of good, but not necessarily of the Light. This is demonstrated by her granted powers being arcane magics, and her being associated with the moon and night, whereas most Light forces are associated with the day and the sun. I don't think a definite enough distinction is drawn between general good and the Light nearly often enough.

All of that being said, there are some compelling parallels. Is is possible that there could be some kind of connection between the two, without necessarily being one and the same?

Anyway, that's the conclusion I've come to. And it's also very convenient, as it can preserve Elune's standing and the Kaldorei's knowledge of her, while still explaining Velen's thoughts and both the similarities and differences between the goddess and the narru.
100 Undead Warlock
Elune is clearly a Necromancer.

She also enlisted the Scourge to destroy her wayward children, then left them to be devoured by mortals, this is why the Scourge in Wrath was so terrible compare to the Scourge in WCIII. Lack of Elune juice.

The naaru blessed a race, the Eredar, turning them into the draenei. So the naaru did the same as Elune did to the night elves and druid of the pack form into worgen or dark trolls to dark elves then night elves.

Draenei prove that the naaru can change a race, like worgen or wildkin. How do we know naaru and Elune can't do the same things? They already do, changing races, spreading peace, choosing a certain race as their followers then change them where they then practically worship it, they help their people fight or heal in battles, they communion back and forth, etc.

My two cents.

Forgive me for the rudeness, but I feel compelled to correct you on this due to the Draenei being one of my favorite races.

The blue skinned, playable draenei that we know were not changed by the Naaru, or anything for that matter. Eredar originally looked like what the playable draenei look like now. When they were corrupted by Sargeras and his Fel magic, it transformed them into the red skinned demon dudes we all know and love.

Velen and a small group of Eredar rejected Sargeras' offer and fled with the help of the Naaru. They were then dubbed "exiled ones" or "Draenei" in their language.

So no, the Naaru have not shown the ability to transform a race into something else.
Edited by Minkus on 10/11/2012 6:38 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
Well there isn't much point in arguing whether she is a Naaru or not because we know she -ISN'T- based on what the devs said. I'm more concerned about her level of power in relationship to the titans, the naaru, the earthmother, and the old gods.

We know that she has a night elf appearance, or similar to that of a night elf because of cenarius. But why, or how did she create the night elves?

We also know that trolls are the one of the only known original races of azeroth, possibly evolving naturally to their current state. Night elves, we are told are from Elune's intervention, evolved from trolls. Tauren seem to just spring up.

Could the earthmother and elune be the same thing? Tauren do recognize elune, but only as half of their deity. are night elves ignoring the other half?

:l The answers... I must know
100 Night Elf Hunter
10/11/2012 07:39 AMPosted by Sparrow
Could the earthmother and elune be the same thing? Tauren do recognize elune, but only as half of their deity. are night elves ignoring the other half?

No. Just no. WHY does Elune have to be tied to the Tauren goddess? Why can't she be her own goddess separate from the Earthmother?
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/11/2012 07:43 AMPosted by Kynrind
No. Just no. WHY does Elune have to be tied to the Tauren goddess? Why can't she be her own goddess separate from the Earthmother?

Because the Tauren and the Night Elves both have Cenarius.

Them not sharing the other gods is a little unreasonable.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]