DK level 90 talent revamp.

1 Troll Hunter
Blizz, the level 90 Death Knight talents are boring. Every other class gets something exciting, so why don't death knights?

Desecrated ground? Yea, Death Knights have had it since Wrath, in their Unholy tree. It was called Desecration. The CC immunity is cool and all, but nothing a trinket can't take care of. Not an exciting level 90 talent edition. Remorseless Winter is basically Hungering Cold with a lame DoT/slow gimmick. Gorefiend's Grasp is cool on paper, but it should be a talent earlier in the list. I'd like to see a "reverse" death grip, throwing an enemy for 30 yards, but making the target immune to fall damage.

Here are some suggestions:

1st Talent: Dark Miasma

2 min CD

The death knight spends one death rune to spread a miasma 100 yards around the death knight. Enemies caught in the miasma are automatically inflicted with Frost Fever and Blood Plague, and are inflicted with Miasma, taking 10% more damage. Allies caught in the Miasma get a buff increasing their haste and crit by 10%. Enemies who die in the miasma spawn ghouls that last for 10 seconds. Lasts 20 seconds.

Reasoning for this talent:

It fits Unholy's "disease" bill, but with more of the disease. Think of it as a mini blood lust. Enemies that die in the miasma spawn an Army of the Dead ghoul for more DPS. Would work well for tanks too.

2nd Talent: Echo of Frostmourne

3 Min CD

Death Knight's use a shard of Frostmourne, empwering their rune weapon, transforming it into an Echo of Frostmourne. While Death Knights wield the Echo of Frostmourne, they gain 10% increased haste and crit. Autoattacks generate a Soul Fragment, increasing strength by 1%. When the Death Knight reaches 30 stacks, they automatically spend their soul fragments and unleash Shadow Clash, dealing X amount of shadowfrost damage.

Basically a mini shadowmourne. We all wanted to know what happened to the frostmourne shards right? Well what if the Knights of the Ebon Blade each took a shard and vowed to protect them, making sure frostmourne was never reforged. So in a time of desperation, a DK can imbue their weapons with the power of a frostmourne shard.

3rd Talent: Vampiric Bite

5 min CD

Death Knight uses Vampiric Bite on an enemy. For 15 seconds, the enemy is inflicted with Essence of the Vampyr. NPC's afflicted with this spell will become an undead servant for the Death Knight after Essence of the Vampyr expires, lasting 40 seconds. If the Death Knight has the Master of Ghouls talent, enemy replaces ghoul pet and becomes a permanent undead pet, and is affected by Shadow Infusion and Undead Monstrosity. If the NPC is immune to stuns, Vampiric bite deals 15% of the Death Knight's health as damage, and deals massive threat.

Player characters bitten will gain Essence of the Vampyr for 15 seconds and gains "Vampiric Bloodthirst". If the player character does not bite the an ally for 15 seconds, they are mind controlled for 15 seconds, becoming an undead minion for the death knight for 15 seconds. Players mind controlled immediately appear next to Death Knight. All player characters mind controlled by Vampiric bite are subject to Dark Pact and Corpse Explosion. Death Knights killed before Essence of the Vampyr expires causes no mind control, instead the player is subject to X amount of damage.

Only usable on beasts/humanoids.

Essence of the Vampyr: Player Debuff

You are permanently infected with Essence of the Vampyr. You gain "Vampiric Bloodthirst", allowing you to bite an ally. Bite an ally in order to refresh time limit of Essence of the Vampyr to 20 seconds, while infecting the ally with Essence of the Vampyr. Cannot be dispelled. If you kill an ally with Vampiric Bloodthirst, Essence of the Vampyr is removed. Cannot bite ally's infected with Essence of the Vampyr.

Vampiric Bloodthirst:

5 second CD

You bite an ally, infecting them with "Vampiric Sickness" for 5 seconds and deal 10% of their health in damage. After the 5 seconds, they are infected with Essence of the Vampyr. Ally's inflicted with Vampiric Sickness can be bitten by multiple people before they are infected with Essence of the Vampyr. Ally's killed with Vampiric Sickness remove your Essence of the Vampyr.

Ok this one I pulled out of the air. Unholy DK's can use it to corrupt a humanoid NPC and make it their undead minion, giving them more minion variety, and it adds a little bit of CC. As a tank, it can give a large threat boost if the boss is a beast/humanoid.

But in PvP, this is a fire and forget talent. In theory, it's supposed to simulate an "outbreak" among an enemy team. A DK bites an enemy player, now that player has 15 seconds to bite an ally or they will be MC'd for 15 seconds, subject to Death Pact and Corpse Explosion if the Dk has the runic power to use the move. So wow, a DK can one shot someone right?
Edited by Joukai on 6/15/2012 9:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Troll Hunter
Not Necessarily. The enemy player can now bite an ally, infecting them, and resetting the timer, but not dispelling it. Each time Vampiric Bloodthirst comes off CD, they can bite another player. If the player they bite is killed before Vampiric Sickness wears off, they are cured. If the DK is killed when it wears off, they are cured. If ten enemy players all have the debuff timer, they can all choose to use vampiric bloodthirst on a team mate, killing him, and curing themselves. Or the person bitten can just let it wear off and hope the DK doesn't have the runic power to eat them, and just be MC'd for a bit.

If a group of players let the timer wear off and they are MC'd, they all teleport to the death knight's location. After 15 seconds, they are freed. This could spell havoc if the DK isn't prepared and in a vulnerable position.

This whole talent is kind of based on the Blood Queen fight in ICC, and I thought it would be a unique addition to the DK's arsenal, giving him some strategic use in his abilities.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
lol,that vampire bite thing makes dks seem like a boss fight. i like it.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Hunter
06/15/2012 06:54 AMPosted by Afterstory
lol,that vampire bite thing makes dks seem like a boss fight. i like it.

I kinda thought it'd be a mini Blood Queen Lanathel fight, and maybe it'd simulate a disease outbreak. For unholy DK's when they used it, they could corrupt a humanoid target into an undead pet. For blood, a huge threat boost talent. In PvP, it forces your opponents to play the blood queen fight or they'd be mc'd, and possibly Dark Pact-ed or Corpse Exploded.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
cool ideas.

horridly overpowered.

but cool
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I do like the sound of a reverse death grip, that would be fun.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
06/16/2012 02:42 AMPosted by Ipholc
I do like the sound of a reverse death grip, that would be fun.

This. Some of them seem OP but yeah, the new 90 talents are boring and are just previous abilities with small modifications.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I kind of think the level 90 talents are awesome.

... But not as level 90 talents. Remorseless Winter is just Hungering Cold, finally tuned the way they want it to be. That's not a level 90 ability. That's a current talent, just changed/fixed after they nerfed it with that cast-time. Why am I leveling to get it? Why are these the new DK "ultimate" talents? None of these are our Avatar.

Plus, they're really PvP-focused. I don't mind. I PvP. I also follow their reasoning about how PvE needs things like this sometimes, too. But PvErs don't want situational things in the level 90 tier.

This would be an amazing Tier if, say, it was at 75 (the "one of these should just really be baseline, and there's no choice, since the math will always say one of these is superior" tier). I'd even stick Desecration into the 45 tier, and move Asphyxiate into its place next to Remorseless Winter (both are 1 minute cooldown CCs, and Asphyxiate is just completely outmatched by Death's Advance in its current place).

I am ALL onboard with bumping these down and then adding some more impressive level 90 moves to the final tier.
Edited by Sylassanna on 6/16/2012 4:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
06/14/2012 06:31 PMPosted by Joukai
Every other class gets something exciting, so why don't death knights?

umm, i think some of the moves are reall nice bro. Just reading Death's Advance Death Siphon (which costs nothing at all! and no cd), Coversion (which also has NO CD!! and no costs) and runic corruption, which btw 45% is a ton! just think of how much your Rime if your frost proc, Runic Corruption will do the same but regen all your runes by 100% completely OP! btw, i cant wait to try out Remorseless Winter, you just cast it instead of Chain of Ice then wait 5 seconds, boom another full kidney shot.. if this isnt op to you, then you just need to learn how to fully use these abilities, because they are completely awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
06/19/2012 09:02 AMPosted by Xymount
Every other class gets something exciting, so why don't death knights?

umm, i think some of the moves are reall nice bro. Just reading Death's Advance Death Siphon (which costs nothing at all! and no cd), Coversion (which also has NO CD!! and no costs) and runic corruption, which btw 45% is a ton! just think of how much your Rime if your frost proc, Runic Corruption will do the same but regen all your runes by 100% completely OP! btw, i cant wait to try out Remorseless Winter, you just cast it instead of Chain of Ice then wait 5 seconds, boom another full kidney shot.. if this isnt op to you, then you just need to learn how to fully use these abilities, because they are completely awesome.

last i checked death siphon costs death runes.
runic corruption is totally the same as it is live for unholy dks so not really op.
our level 90 tier while good is sort of underwhelming.
remorseless winter is the fix blizz had trouble giving frost dks hungering cold only now its going to be a talent for all dks. serves no purpose in any meaninful pve.
desecrated ground is a fairly small radius for cc immunity and serves next to 0 purpose in pve.
gorefiends grasp once again has limited pve use and is more around pvp.
in terms of our talent choices at the moment we havent gotten anything that is really a difficult choice to make as each dk spec has clear choices that are better for it. (something that blizz claimed they wanted to avoid)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]