Supplemental Info/Not-obvious Fun Facts in RP

90 Goblin Priest
Inspired by Rou's post~

Cats!

-They do purr, HOWEVER- they don't only purr when happy or content. They will also purr when frightened and in-pain. It is theorized to be a reflex to either calm themselves or trick predators.
-Cats are only vocal because of humans. Feral cats barely do more vocalizations then hissing and spitting (spitting being a cobra like sound with a jab-forward of the head and ears back that is meant to mimic a snake, thus be more frightening. VERY AGGRESSIVE/SCARED.), it's only to communicate with humans many of them have started to meow. My own cat was quiet at first, but the more I talk to him the more he talks back.
-Purrs, although sometimes they can be heard, are more vibrations throughout the whole body. Science has no idea how purring works yet, or which organ is responsible for it. If a cat looks really happy but doesn't seem to be purring, you can usually lightly press your fingers against their throat or the base of their tail to feel if it is vibrating or not.
-Cats speak through their tails. A high, straight-up tail means 'I AM SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU!'. A tail that is straight-up with a curve at the tip is happy, but curious/questioning. A lashing tail means they are ticked or very focused on something like prey, and a quivering/vibrating tail means they ARE SO FREAKIN' HAPPY, LIKE WOAH, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! A low-set tail, or a tail that is straight up but puffed out (when combined with laid-back ears), means they are aggressive or frightened. Or both.
- When hunting, many cats will let out a clicking/clucking sound, theorized to attract prey. It's weird as frick when you hear it the first time.
-Cat's pupils will dilate like crazy when excited. When relaxed, that is when they have slit-pupils. When wound up, that is when their whole eyes will look black. You know those kitten eyes where the whole eye is black? Yeah, that isn't the case. It means the cat is scared/about to attack/REALLY WANTS TO PLAY NAO.
-Cats growl. They do, it's terrifying or cute depending on the circumstance.
Edited by Snuffit on 6/25/2012 8:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Healing and injuries! Most of these deal with what happens when there isn't a magical healer standing there to immediately patch you back up.

Shot in the Shoulder: Despite what you see in the movies, getting shot or stabbed in the shoulder, shoulderblade, or collarbone area is not a walk in the park, and you're probably not going to want (or be able) to move that arm if it does happen. In fact, you're probably going to be on the ground and screaming like a little girl. There's a lot of bone and muscle, as well as many tendons and ligaments, and bullets tend to fracture bone and send sharp chips through the adjacent tissue.

Chest Wounds: A puncture wound to the chest can easily kill you, even if it doesn't hit your heart. The space between the lungs and rubs (the pleural space) is airtight, and breathing depends on the vacuum created by the diaphragm. If you get a puncture wound, you'll develop what we call a sucking chest wound. Each time you breathe, air will be sucked into that wound (and it makes a really nasty sound), and it will eventually collapse your lung and displace the contents of your chest to the other side. Your trachea will shift to one side, which is the visible sign of altered pressure inside the chest cavity, and you'll feel like you can't breathe. That's because you...can't breathe. All it takes to cover a sucking chest wound, however, is a piece of airtight material placed over the wound and sealed down on 3 sides (you don't want to seal it on all sides, to allow trapped air to escape).

Fractured Femur: A fractured femur is among the most painful injuries a person can receive, and if the break is bad, it's basically a death sentence. The marrow and blood vessels in/around the bone bleed profusely, and the femoral artery also runs very near there and can be sliced open or compressed (cutting off blood supply to the leg) by a compromised bone. If the femoral artery is nicked, you'll bleed out in 3-5 minutes and there ain't nothin' you can do about it.

Mangled Hand: You have a lot of tendons and muscles in your hands. If you slice a tendon, it snaps back and retracts into the tissue on either side. Sometimes the tendon can be found 3 or more inches away from where the initial break/cut happened, and it takes a surgeon skilled in microsurgery to retrieve that tendon and repair it. Even if they do repair it, it's forever going to be weakened, and you may never regain full range of motion.

Head Wounds: If you break your skull, the biggest danger isn't the immediate trauma to surrounding brain tissue. It's actually the blood vessels and the cerebrospinal fluid that swell or build up and increase intracranial pressure. Your brain tissue is approximately the consistency of firm Jell-o, and if you squeeze Jell-o, what happens? Yep. That happens to your brain. If you manage to survive the initial injury and swelling without major physical/mental deficits, your next issue is the possibility of infection. There's something called the blood-brain barrier, and it makes it difficult for infectious agents to cross from the bloodstream to the brain. Unfortunately, it also works in reverse, so if bacteria or parasites are introduced to the brain through an injury, the antibodies and white blood cells in your blood won't be able to cross over and fight the infection very easily.

Gut Wounds: You don't die when your intestines are hanging from your body. At least not immediately, as long as the blood flow is intact. You can also survive the loss of a good amount of intestine, as long as the doc is skilled at re-attaching the ends to each other. If the stomach or intestine is punctured but not hanging outside of the body, the biggest problem is infection. Peritonitis is the infection of the lining of the abdominal cavity, and it's extremely painful and can be deadly. Appendicitis can result in this if left untreated, as the infected organ can burst and spew all that lovely bacteria everwhere.

Dental Hygiene: Believe it or not, people actually did care about dental hygiene in pre-industrial societies. Many native cultures use(d) something called a chew stick, which is the end of a stick that is frayed into tiny wood fibers (like toothbrush bristles), and they brush their teeth with that. Most use tea or alcohol as mouthwash after they've brushed.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
This thread is really awesome. Also a bit intimidating, those wounds sound very unpleasant.

Someone needs to post a bunch of stuff about basic mechanics/upkeep/injuries from contraptions like you'd see with goblins/gnomes~
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
Love this thread... so much...

Any tips for an RPer who doesn't drink alcohol but plays characters who do?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
06/26/2012 12:35 AMPosted by Tymon
it took years to train a competent archer, making them specialized and highly valued soldiers.
I would like to just clarify this part...

In England. The rest of the Western world viewed archers as cowards, at the same time they didn't have the training of the English archers or the same equipment due to the wood not being readily available and the aformentioned disdain from the nobility towards archers..

Gonna have to contradict you on this one! While the longbow was definitely considered a 'peasant's toy' by many of the nobility in some Western nations, it was still a highly valued weapon among many militaries. The vikings, for example, were very fond of making use of archers to the point where even their royalty brought bows into battle. As much as the nobility of many nations decried the use of longbows, much like the zweihander, their word didn't carry much weight.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Gonna have to contradict you on this one! While the longbow was definitely considered a 'peasant's toy' by many of the nobility in some Western nations, it was still a highly valued weapon among many militaries. The vikings, for example, were very fond of making use of archers to the point where even their royalty brought bows into battle. As much as the nobility of many nations decried the use of longbows, much like the zweihander, their word didn't carry much weight.
In the quote you said archers in general, not just longbowmen. The English were the ones who employed longbowmen in royal armies.

Fair enough! In any case, I do maintain my original statement of 'archers were valued and elite troops in many armies'.
Edited by Kamazhi on 6/26/2012 1:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Fair enough! In any case, I do maintain my original statement of 'archers were valued and elite troops in many armies'.
And I dispute that!

Archers were frequently peasants - ineffective, prone to desertion and routing. Valued little and respected less. While in the East it was different, the west, with their armour, were frequently impervious to the arrows fired by inadequate weapons of peasant archers.

Shy of Skandanavians and the English, what other kingdom fielded effective archers during the middle ages?

This is only partially true. A lot of 'cheap' archers were hired because longbows were cheap weapons to provide them with. However, they often used cheaper bows with bodkin arrowheads, which weren't of much quality. Real archers, as in those with -especially- in the west, were highly trained, elite soldiers, and were a core of the English, Welsh, Scandinavian, Danish, and Swedish militaries. (Go a little bit east, you've also got most muslim countries, but we're focusing on Europe now, I understand.) The Assize of 1252 is proof, for example, that soldiers were encouraged to train and employ archery as part of their repetoire.

I'm not arguing that the longbow wasn't terribly popular in Western Europe - it wasn't. But England was a very big player who got a -lot- of use out of the weapon, and other countries did employ it throughout the middle ages.

Oh, and only plate armor was really impervious to arrows. Plate was extremely rare, employed pretty much exclusively by knights and elite mercenaries. The vast majority of troops were clad in leather or chainmail, leaving even peasant archers plenty of targets to aim at.
Edited by Kamazhi on 6/26/2012 2:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
No arguments on any of that!

And yeah, as I said, bows couldn't penetrate plate very well, but they rarely had to. Not many soldiers had plate as it cost about the equivalent of $4,000-$10,000 in modern currency.

Of course, variables always exist. There were some extremely powerful bows and some extremely crappy plate armor, but then, that's true of everything.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
06/26/2012 02:58 AMPosted by Enekie
Actually, I heard the longbow's arrows could puncture most armors.

Leather and chainmail, yes! They didn't do very well at all against plate. A high-quality longbow with broadhead arrows and long shafts could punch through a plate cuirass at a range of about 20 yards, but the problem is that knights also wore padding beneath. The sharpness of the arrow would be dulled by passing through the plate, and the underpadding would absorb the blunt shock from the projectile. As a result, an arrow might penetrate the actual armor itself, but the wearer would be completely unharmed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'd like to add a note on the art of healing. It should be common knowledge that outside of the fantasy realm of World of Warcraft that we do not have magical sparkle fingers that make boo-boos magically disappear. However, in this fantasy world we have priests, paladins, shamans, druids -- and soon monks as well. I've been role playing as a healer for a long time in this game, and I figured I'd share a few things that I've used to help the world of magic seem a bit more realistic for the role playing scene.

First, it is very easy to just say that magic fixes everything. But where's the fun in that? That's the easy way out. A wiggle of the fingers, a sprinkle of holy sparkle -- ta-da! While that method works for the player in PvE and PvP; when it comes to actually writing out a scene where your healer is having to deal with a situation where their healing magic is needed should be much different, especially if you want the added immersion that RP offers the players.

So lets start with physical injuries. This has a wide range from a simple bruise or cut to severed limbs. In this case, the healer's magic will be mending the wounded area. A novice healer -- an individual who is still practicing and learning the art of healing magic should not be a super fantastic expert with the magic. Practice is good, but a novice would be assigned lesser wounds to heal over trying to reattach limbs. It's too risky. An expert healer, an individual who has studied the magical art of healing should be better at healing more complex injuries because they've had more practice with their magic. In the case of an expert healer mending physical injuries there are be a few key points to remember.

1. You are handling someone else's body, which includes bodily functions and fluids. There is still a risk of infection if the wound is dirty or you are in a dirty area. Sometimes you can't help it that a scene is unfolding on the streets or out in the Barrens, but an expert healer would carry water or some sort of agent to clean wounded areas. You don't want to magically close a dirty wound. Even with your magic of cure disease, cure poison, etc... unless you are a dedicated individual and you are going to stay at your patient's side for the next few days to constantly monitor their progress and make sure the wounds are not getting infected -- you clean yourself (ie. your hands) and you clean the wound on your patient.

2. Even magic takes time. In PvE and PvP situations, yes we have instant cast spells but if one would notice, most times those instant cast spells are not very strong or they do small amounts of healing over time. The more effective spells require time to cast, or the magic must be channeled and not interrupted.

3. For the individual who is injured, even if a healer heals your boo-boo, you will still be sore. Your body was just broken, bruised, or cut in some manner and then mended -- which means muscle, tissue, ligaments, etc are being put back together. An already sore area is being magically manipulated and closed. Chances are it will still be sore, and to be safe -- because you can't always count on a healer being up your behind -- it will need to be bandaged and that bandage changed regularly to prevent infection. In other words: even after you have been healed with magic, you will still be sore. It will still hurt, even if the pain has been lessened or dulled thanks to the magic. If you just suffered a severe injury in an RP scene that was healed by a healer with magic... chances are you will be on strict orders to rest. If your character is stubborn and chooses not to rest then you should take note that they will not be at their physical peak of excellence, because their body is still healing.

Healing magic is an aid to help, it isn't a cure all... and the process should take time, possibly less time than healing things naturally, but it would still take time.

As it is said, "Time heals all wounds."

If any are interested on how I have personally handled other healing situations feel free to ask and I'll do my best to describe what I had done and the steps I took to make the scene appear more realistic.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
My god this is an amazing thread. I'm actually gonna bookmark this page.

I'd actually like to hear more from the medics and tailors (specifically those that do a lot of hand-sewing) myself. As for my experiences, I know a thing or two about oil painting and artistic materials, so if people are interested on that subject, I'd be happy to share a few things.
Edited by Tanria on 6/26/2012 3:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Remember that although it is a feudal society for the most part, it is not fully pre-industrial. Technologically, it's a lot closer to the real world than many realize.

Sure they don't have an internet yet, but they do have:

RADIO - evidenced by the Forsaken quests in Gilneas. You use 2-way radio to communicate with the Front.
TV - evidenced by the promo video for The Burning Crusade - "Gnomeregan News"
CARS - Kezan, you drove one in a quest chain.
FREEWAYS (LIMITED-ACCESS HIGHWAYS) - there was one on Kezan, and there is a proto-freeway in Bilgewater. The rocketway could be seen as a type of freeway too.
AIRPLANES - Used by the Bilgewater Goblins.
HELICOPTERS AND MOTORCYCLES - need I explain?
RECORDED MUSIC - Kezan, it was playing during the party you hosted. That was not a live band. Also, it plays out the D.I.S.C.O. as well. This is why Club Trix is ICly possible.
ROBOTS - Gnomes build a LOT of them
ELECTRIC LIGHTS - Used by Gnomes and Goblins.

To that end, it stands to reason that Gnomes and/or Goblins may also have items like the printing press, ballpoint pens, assembly lines, and other revolutionary items of an industrial society.

And to top off this post, the Gnomes even have something that only exists in the real world as science-fiction... the (ULTRA)SONIC SCREWDRIVER!

....oh, and the Draenei have STARSHIPS! And remember, folks, Velen's short story revealed that canonically, the Exodar is repaired and ready to launch if Velen ever gives the order.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]