Looking for a new series to start...

90 Gnome Rogue
I've finished with the series that I've started to read (until the last book comes out) and I'm looking for something to read. These are the series' that I've already read to their latest book.

Song of Ice and fire
The Dark Tower
The Wheel of Time
Inheritance Cycle

Any ideas on what to start next?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Dresden Files.

It's still ongoing, but you have something like 12 books and numerous short stories and novellas to get through until you're caught up. Although the books themselves are quick reads, you'd get through 2-3 at a time compared which a single book in SoIaF or WoT.

It's urban fantasy following the case files of one Harry Dresden, wizard for hire (he's in the Yellow Pages, under 'Wizards'). Private investigator and police consultant in the Windy City, he shows you a lot of the supernatural underside of Chicago. The first two books are a bit rough around the edges, but it really starts to pick up in Grave Peril and Summer Knight. A highly worthwhile series.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion, by Tolkien.

A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, by Steven Erikson.

You could also look into Brandon Sanderson's other work, since he's the one finishing The Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan passed away. I've only read The Way of Kings, but it was well done.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Read LoTR series, The Hobbit and the Silmarillion already.
Reply Quote
I recommend reading the Lord of the Rings books. They're really good. Also, he has written many books about the history of middle earth, like the Children of Hûrin.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Adventurer's Wanted
Percy Jackson
Hunger Games
Fable Haven
Nick Flemel (i think thats what its called)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The Noble Dead Saga. It's really an underrated series.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion, by Tolkien.

A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, by Steven Erikson.

You could also look into Brandon Sanderson's other work, since he's the one finishing The Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan passed away. I've only read The Way of Kings, but it was well done.

I, too, would recommend giving Steven Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen a go. Since you read wheel of time (Which I am currently reading), you obviously have the patience for a long series. The first book can be difficult to get past, but after that it is one of the better Fantasy series out there.

Its not quite as well structured as A song of Ice and Fire or Wheel of Time, but it made me rethink some things, which is more than I can say about either of those.

Edit: Here is a thread with some pretty good feed back on the series http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2483748587 . It is an older thread, so for the sake of forum decency, please don't necro it, but as someone in that thread put it, the writing gets exponentially better as the series progresses, and the first book or two can be a hill to traverse.
Edited by Shamypriest on 6/27/2012 10:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
36 Undead Mage
I have read all of the series you mentioned and based off of those i would recommend The Black Company series by Glen Cook. It is a mostly non magic world based around an expansive war written from the point of view of a band of mercenaries. The noble dead saga was surprisingly decent but i only made itthrough 4 book in the Fall of the Malazan series. it makes the depth and multiple story lines in The Wheel of Time seem like a see spot run book. Was just a little much imo.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
06/28/2012 05:00 PMPosted by Sloane
i would recommend The Black Company series by Glen Cook

It'd second this, it's basically the foundation of the whole dark fantasy subgenre.

but i only made itthrough 4 book in the Fall of the Malazan series. it makes the depth and multiple story lines in The Wheel of Time seem like a see spot run book. Was just a little much imo.

I think it depends on how you read (which admittedly took me almost to book 10 to figure out). We're used to catapulting ourselves through fiction, while Erikson's work is much better when read slowly (comparatively speaking) and savored.

Anyway, just finished rereading Memories of Ice (doesn't that title make your blood run cold when you find out what it means) and getting ready to crack House of Chains. There's definitely so many layers that rereading the whole thing isn't a waste.

I remember this being the book I actually did dislike somewhat, though, so we'll see how it goes.
Edited by Verelyse on 6/28/2012 10:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Book of Words Series by J. V. Jones
Dhampir series by Barb and J. C. Hendee
The Farseer Series by Robin Hobb
The Symphony of Ages Series by Elizabeth Haydon (personal fave)

Enjoy!
Reply Quote
The Legend of Drizzt series by R. A. Salvatore
Edited by Turkeyone on 7/11/2012 5:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
63 Worgen Death Knight
The Riddlemaster trilogy by McKillip is pretty good. Old series. Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn as well as the Otherland series by Tad Williams are good. So is the Chronicles of Amber by Zelazny.
Reply Quote
70 Goblin Shaman
For the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would enjoy the Malazan books. I have attempted to read 3 of them and give up about 150-200 pages in because nothing ever happens...

Sword of Truth series is repetitive, preachy and includes PAINFULLY generic plot twists.

Forgotten Realms/Legend of Drizzt was ok...until every book started to be essentially the same. I enjoyed "The Dark Elf Trilogy", but everything after that was snooooooze.....

Black Company by Glenn Cook
Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks
First Law Trilogy (plus The Heroes and Best Served Cold) by Joe Abercrombie
Gentlemen Bastards series by Scott Lynch
Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss
Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan
Warded Man/Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett
Way of Kings (Stormlight Chronicles #1) by Brandon Sanderson
Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson

Were all decent.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
For the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would enjoy the Malazan books. I have attempted to read 3 of them and give up about 150-200 pages in because nothing ever happens...

Man, you have no idea. I've read the whole series once, the first four books twice (in process of rereading the whole series), and the first book three times. Erikson works on the same basis as most rollercoasters, he starts out slow and builds up momentum until all hell breaks loose in the second half of the book. Those climactic events are unparalleled anywhere else in the fantasy genre.

The end of Deadhouse Gates managed to drive me to tears even when I'd read it before.

Subjectivity is a real thing, so I totally get that not everybody likes every book. But seriously, A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen is the single most amazing series I've found since reading Tolkien.

08/03/2012 09:29 AMPosted by Killidrax
Forgotten Realms/Legend of Drizzt was ok...until every book started to be essentially the same. I enjoyed "The Dark Elf Trilogy", but everything after that was snooooooze.....

THESE were books I never managed to finish. Because they were boring and apparently written for a target audience of 4th graders (frustrated the hell out of me). The Neverwinter Saga is better, though.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
If you're not squeamish about such things, read the Abhorsen Trilogy.

Book One: Sabriel
Book Two: Lirael
Book Three: Abhorsen
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I would recommend the following:

The Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher.
Destroyermen Series by Taylor Anderson.
The Event Group series by David L. Golemon
Kingmaker, Kingbreaker and the Fisherman's Children by Karren Miller.
The Age of Misrule, The Dark Ages, and the Kingdom of the Serpent series' by Mark Chadbourn
The Nightside series by Simon R. Green.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The Discworld books by Terry Pratchett
The Belgariad and The Malloreon by David Eddings
The Earthsea books by Ursula K. Le Guin
The Dragonlance books
The Warcraft books (especially the ones by Christie Golden)
Robin Hobb: The Farseer trilogy, then The Liveship Traders trilogy, then The Tawny Man trilogy, then The Rain Wilds trilogy
The Coldfire trilogy by C.S. Friedman
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
The Mass Effect book trilogy is excellent, I have read through them twice now. If you like sci-fi, or even some decent action, you should enjoy them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]