<Midwinter> streaming beta raiding

Don't do it. Its a TRAP!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
08/04/2012 01:09 AMPosted by Rassoodocks
Yeah. Higher pop, stronger economy, and a more active raiding/pugging community.

may i ask you, when deciding to leave to another server, how do you choose? The reason I ask this is because some friends and I have been discussing ysera and how it seems to have quieted down alot.

I was away from wow for 2.5 years and coming back to ysera, besides your guild, the server i barely recognized from when i left. It is coming to that point where people I know don't even want to log into WOW anymore because of as you have pointed out the activity of pugs and the economy.

Also I have always heard nothing but negative things towards your guild, even when I was actively playing during Lich King. However i try not to go by heresay and form my own judgments.

Having said that, your guild has obvious skill and progression, so I would like to also ask what to you see your status as? Obviously not casual, but would it be like hardcore or dedicated, or how would any of your members put it?

I ask this second question because in panda i do want to change a few things about how i play this game. I don't want a guild to be so laid back, 6 months to a year later they still are wiping on the same bosses.

At the same time, i have never been in what many would refer to as 'hardcore' but have only heard stories. I have loved WOW for awhile but still it is a game to me. Your guild and other old ones i knew such as Alpha, you can probably imagine the rumors that follow.

So the basis is I would like a guild that gets content done, but also doesn't feel the need to turn wow into a second job. I don't myself but i know there are players that literally are on more then people work full time and just for myself, bills and work versus WOW, it's not a comparison.

Thank you for reading this and will check out your streams and I will like to see what you respond to what I asked.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
may i ask you, when deciding to leave to another server, how do you choose? The reason I ask this is because some friends and I have been discussing ysera and how it seems to have quieted down alot.

Having said that, your guild has obvious skill and progression, so I would like to also ask what to you see your status as? Obviously not casual, but would it be like hardcore or dedicated, or how would any of your members put it?

So the basis is I would like a guild that gets content done, but also doesn't feel the need to turn wow into a second job. I don't myself but i know there are players that literally are on more then people work full time and just for myself, bills and work versus WOW, it's not a comparison.

Regarding your first question, are you asking how we chose a server to go to? Because that is always going to depend on what exactly you're looking for. We wanted a higher pop server where we could buy raiding mats and level professions and so on more easily, a server with a more active raiding community that we could play with, compete with etc, and one with a more active pugging community where we could play alts and get things done without relying on guildmates all the time.

The unfortunate reality is that on Ysera these days it's tough to even get a BH run going if you don't do it on a Tuesday night. Forget about pugging current raid content on alts or whatever. Whenever we ran pugs in the last couple of tiers it was mostly with guildies and a few regulars. In the past when Ysera was higher pop, there was a large pugging community and the server just felt more alive outside of raiding hours. We have an active community of players who like to raid, most of us play alts, and we get stuff on farm pretty quickly and have months of downtime where we like to pug and so on. That's just hard to do here, while the server we are going to is very active and has a huge pugging community and other raiding guilds we can do joint runs with and so on. It's also a PvP server and has a more active PvP community, which is a drawcard for a lot of our players too.

Part of it is also competitive for us. We spent millions of gold on gems at the start of DS for example because few other guilds were running the content and supply was low. We had to go off server, buy gems and transfer back in order to get our raiders geared, while on other servers gems were going for 15-20% of the price they cost here. That's just one example, but the problem is pretty consistent. It's not a great economy, and additionally there's not many raiding guilds, which is just a bit of a disadvantage.

To answer your second question, we're definitely a "hardcore" guild. What that means to me is that the primary reason we play together is to kill bosses as quickly as we can and to compete with other guilds in the process. Our rank, within reason, is everything. We also have a social environment we like to maintain and raid hours we like to keep though, so we set certain boundaries. We try and keep a friendly atmosphere in guild and treat people outside the guild with respect, but in the end what is "fun" for us is pushing ourselves to play at the highest level we can, and that's what makes us hardcore.

Being hardcore isn't necessarily about time commitment. There are fairly hardcore guilds out there that raid two days a week, and there are casual guilds that raid five days a week. It's about attitude and approach more than how much time you spend. In my opinion, you need to make your own decision about what manner of play is the most fun for you, and then find a guild with raid times you're willing and able to meet that fits your playstyle. Some people like just relaxing in raid and having fun with friends rather than worrying about finding the right strat or having to compete for their raid spot, some people like to try as hard as they can and kill as much as they can when it is at its hardest, and some people are in between. All those playstyles are valid, it's just a matter of personal preference. You need to decide how many hours a week you want to raid and what you expect from a guild, and seek out that environment.

We raid 20 hours a week during progression, which to me is a reasonable commitment that you can structure around real life obligations if you're willing to make sacrifices to do so. If you love the game and your guild, you can make it work. Plus, we finish progression pretty fast, which makes it easier. If you want less of a commitment, there's still guilds of all skill levels with different approaches to the game out there that you can try. You just need to set your own goals and find a guild that allows you to reach them. There's nothing wrong with never finishing a tier of raiding if you have fun doing what you do, but if you don't enjoy it, there's no reason to play and you should find a guild where you can have fun.

I hope that's a good enough answer!
Edited by Rassoodocks on 8/13/2012 3:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Well Rassodocks. Thank you for the reply first off. Yes i was asking what you look for in terms of leaving a server, due to personal reasons, I myself am questioning if i want to stay on ysera for panda. One thing you said and i agree with you 100% is not relying on guildmates all the time, that is an issue i am having.

Your second paragraph i could not agree with you anymore and wow very nicely said. As i told you before my long wow absence brought me back missing this game and ysera, and when I left, things seemed different. Obviously people such as yourself understand this and alot of my real life friends have been feeling this way as well.

yes and i understand what you said about the raiding and the economy. For one example my buddy made a 1 alt on a full server yesterday, forgot the name, but on the AH he seen about 5 mounts he has never once seen on our server and dam near cried lol wanting to buy them.

ill move on to your second answer
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Your answer to being hardcore is one that i respect the way you explained it. For me overall having played wow for god i dunno now 7 years the guilds in the past that the average gamer felt as hardcore were those who played 70 hours a week, they also had a i am better then you mentality and from what i seen in the past, most of the server disliked them due to their attitudes.

I feel the same as you said about guild progression and getting things done. I have told several friends continuously we all pay the same 15 a month. But for me 6 months or more after a expansion is released, wiping on the same bosses is flat out inexcusable.

Yes your answer was very well written out and I greatly appreciate it. One 'rumor' i will say i heard about your guild a few weeks back is I was doing a alt run in Sunken Temple and this person during the run happened to mention your guild. He then went to go on saying he hated guilds like yours because you had a person that missed a raid one night due to a death in the family and a funeral, and because of this the person was removed from the guild because of that.

Mind you I never flat out was going to create a thread outing your guild asking this, but it's things like that I would not know if I did not talk to anyone in your guild. After reading your post it seems very unlikely that your guild would do such a thing.

And no i don't think 20 hours on average is too bad off. You may or may not know this, but years ago when alpha was on ysera i was in a guild called axis, a holy paladin told me she left because when lich king first hit at midnight wednesday, it was required of her by saturday morning to get from 70-80 and those who couldn't got kicked out.

Mind you I have always said if you don't work or have the option to take some vacation time to play like that, then hey it's your life. However there isn't a person I know who works full time and has kids and gym memberships etc who when panda hits at midnight will be playing for 15 hours straight to burn to 90.

If you understand that, then you would understand why I looked into your attitude because I know some 'hardcore' guilds out there come panda will require that and imo you can't ask everyone with a 9-5 m-f job to take time off work to burn to 90.

Having said all that again thank you for your well written response and I wish you very well in panda.

08/13/2012 03:26 AMPosted by Rassoodocks
There's nothing wrong with never finishing a tier of raiding if you have fun doing what you do, but if you don't enjoy it, there's no reason to play and you should find a guild where you can have fun.

I have been saying this before my leave of absence from wow and my current wow time and why i'm looking at other options and servers for panda. As I have told friends, I feel it's pretty dumb to pay 40-60 dollars for panda and flat out not have fun each time i log in. People i know consistently complain about the game and being bored, and i'm like well perhaps it's time to change.

It's basically why I have been playing more xbox 360 and games like skyrim and mass effect instead of wow because the fun factor for me right now for WOW is very low. Have a good one.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
08/13/2012 08:54 AMPosted by Avime
Yes your answer was very well written out and I greatly appreciate it. One 'rumor' i will say i heard about your guild a few weeks back is I was doing a alt run in Sunken Temple and this person during the run happened to mention your guild. He then went to go on saying he hated guilds like yours because you had a person that missed a raid one night due to a death in the family and a funeral, and because of this the person was removed from the guild because of that.

Haha, wow. We don't even have an attendance requirement. Of the entire guild there were probably 4 or 5 people at most who didn't miss a single raid in the last tier, and that was only 6 weeks of raiding. For example, our main tank missed all of Spine of Deathwing progression because they were visiting family over the Christmas break. That's life, and we did exactly what we do whenever somoene misses a raid, which is use someone else t odo their job until they get back. So no, this is not true, but it is kinda funny that a rumour like that exists.

Really, the only thing that is different in a hardcore guild is that everyone in the guild has a particular goal. You're not just there to play a video game and chill out, you're there to be a strong and contributing member of a competitive raid team. If you can't handle that commitment, you should find a different guild, just like if you're in a guild ranked 10,000 in the world but you want world firsts you should probably go somewhere else rather than expect everyone else to change to meet your interests. I don't know if someone was kicked from Alpha for levelling slowly or whatever but if they were it would be because they failed to meet the expectations of the guild. If someone levelled slowly in Midwinter we'd certainly want to know why, because obviously enough if you want to level slowly you should find a guild where everyone wants to do that, rather than be in a guild where everyone is expected to play in particular way and let the team down. It's not that unreasonable.

Mind you I have always said if you don't work or have the option to take some vacation time to play like that, then hey it's your life. However there isn't a person I know who works full time and has kids and gym memberships etc who when panda hits at midnight will be playing for 15 hours straight to burn to 90.

If you understand that, then you would understand why I looked into your attitude because I know some 'hardcore' guilds out there come panda will require that and imo you can't ask everyone with a 9-5 m-f job to take time off work to burn to 90.

Speaking only for Midwinter, we'd expect people to hit 90 within 48 hours or so, unless they had a specific commitment they told us about that would prevent it. As I said in my last response, it's really about finding a guild that suits your needs. Of course we'd never just kick a productive guild member for levelling slowly, but at the same time if you want to level slowly, we're probably not the guild for you.

And yeah, regarding the 70+ hour a week guilds you mentioned, those guilds generally raid for a few weeks per tier at most. Is it a bigger commitment to raid 10-12 hours a week every week the year round, or raid 70+ hours a week for 2 weeks and be done for the next 9 months? Obviously that depends on your lifestyle, but it's not as unreasonable as it sounds. For the absolute super hardcore guilds out there, it's just about priorities. Obviously if you're a busy person who can't take vacation time for progression you probably shouldn't be in Paragon, but that doesn't mean they're a bunch of mean elitists either. They just play the game in a different way.
Edited by Rassoodocks on 8/13/2012 10:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Lol yeah man i mean i had to mention it to you and see your response, when people asked me if they thought it was true, all I could say is well i don't know midwinter or their raid schedule. If that was true that's pretty ****** up! lol

Although you know alot of guilds do have a attendance requirement and a very strict one.

08/13/2012 09:58 AMPosted by Rassoodocks
For example, our main tank missed all of Spine of Deathwing progression because they were visiting family over the Christmas break. That's life, and we did exactly what we do whenever somoene misses a raid, which is use someone else t odo their job until they get back.

yes and thank you for saying that. Again stuff like this earns my utter respect and if anyone be it trade or pug feels the urge to diss you guys or make stuff up, i can firsthand say shut up lol.

Back in 60 wow when we all had the 40 man experience a friend of mine was doing his rogue and getting his bloodfang gear, and he wasn't on ysera obviously, but ill just say to you that he started putting wow over work and sacrificing overtime and hell even plain hanging out with all of us.

He is over that now thank god, but i was close to having a dam intervention.

Really, the only thing that is different in a hardcore guild is that everyone in the guild has a particular goal.

yes and this is why i originally had to ask you what your definition of 'hardcore' was. I agree with you that we all SHOULD have goals. I WANT to gain gear and kill deathwing and hell if I can gain a few achvs out of it, why not?

Again from my past experiences, hardcore was goal oriented as you stated, but also basically living warcraft. Some guilds and people i knew literally were putting more hours in WOW then me working full time.

Yes when you mentioned Alpha, again i don't know what is true or untrue, obviously i can make anything up about you and blab to anyone. My point was if that was true, i do agree i want to level quickly, but you understand reasonable and unreasonable. My buddy was telling me he knew of people that would literally take shifts.

So say i would want for this expansion you as my roomate to get a first achv, he plays 8 hours, then i play 8 hours on his character etc. Situations like this is generally what i thought of when i heard 'hardcore' when you have a character being played literally 24 hours a day.
Edited by Avime on 8/13/2012 10:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Speaking only for Midwinter, we'd expect people to hit 90 within 48 hours or so, unless they had a specific commitment they told us about that would prevent it.

ya and again setting a time frame if you plan on it i don't think is unreasonable and like i mentioned before some people would like literally buy like a 6 pack or AMP and play 20 hours straight. Just for me that's physically and mentally unhealthy. I mean i'm reading about guys not showering for 2 days and just leaving the pc only to pee lol and you know how the stories go i'm sure.

Obviously if you're a busy person who can't take vacation time for progression you probably shouldn't be in Paragon, but that doesn't mean they're a bunch of mean elitists either. They just play the game in a different way.

Ya and dam sure there is a difference between elitist and just playing your way. If you can take a few days off work, hell go for it! If say 2 guild members can't for whatever reason, don't crap all over them because their jobs won't let them.

Just using myself as an example, years ago when i was working for the post office, the first year i was there, i had days where i literally came home, fell asleep in my chair in my mailman uniform and woke up, showered, change clothes lol and went back to work.

I played wow, but mainly on weekends with friends. So if every guild out there and member had your mentality I think WOW and hell MMO's in general would be a better place.

Before when I heard the term hardcore all I could think about is South Park Warcraft lol. Talking with you helps change that.

Hopefully in my future of WOW i'll be lucky to have a guild with members such as yourself that get stuff done, however understand life outside of wow and don't sit in trade spamming the link for XXX achv. Right now i'm not working due to surgery so if panda were to hit tomorrow i would be ok doing that.

sadly when panda hits probably going to be too busy getting to 90 within the first week. But again thanks for the posts and the comedy.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
How many dwarves you guys bringin over?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]