Hunter Heirlooms

90 Human Death Knight
So I'm making a hunter. I have the leather heirlooms right now and I'm saving up JP for the bow. Does the mail really make that much of a difference or would I be fine with using the leather? Thanks. :)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Some of the Leather heirlooms become mail when you turn level 40. Let me check really quick which (and yes, Mail is better due to the specialization, which admittedly doesn't kick in until lv 80 I think?, but you also get armor which translates to your pet)

Edit
http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items=62024;61935;42950;44101;48677

Those are the items you can use at any level as a hunter. It appears as if they are labelled as Mail items though, so it sounds like you snagged the Shadowcraft (or other Leather only) items, which are not as ideal.
Edited by Zulgaro on 6/25/2012 2:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
The 5% Agility bonus from wearing all Mail items only becomes more valuable than a single piece of gear in the late-60s, early-70s. Assuming you leveled a Rogue and not a Druid, use the double daggers on your Hunter too. The extra XP from the Leather heirlooms will more than outweigh the lost Agility on your push to 80.

06/25/2012 02:16 PMPosted by Zulgaro
Some of the Leather heirlooms become mail when you turn level 40. Let me check really quick which (and yes, Mail is better due to the specialization, which admittedly doesn't kick in until lv 80 I think?, but you also get armor which translates to your pet)

Mail Specialization is a level 50 ability. The heirlooms listed as Mail convert to leather below level 40 for Hunters and Shaman, and convert to Mail at level 40. Rogues and Druids can never wear these pieces.
Edited by Adarant on 6/25/2012 2:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Oh
and I have the PvE chest and PvP shoulders.
(I also have the venerable mass of mcgowan, pvp dagger, and pve dagger)
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
After level 50 you get mail specialization for an extra 5% agility if you're wearing mail in every slot. Leather is fine up until that point, but you want to start using mail armor as soon as you're able to.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
06/25/2012 02:17 PMPosted by Adarant
The heirlooms listed as Mail convert to leather below level 40 for Hunters and Shaman, and convert to Mail at level 40. Rogues and Druids can never wear these pieces.

Yeah, I had the conversion process backwards in my head. Whoops +)
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Thanks everyone for your fast answers! xD
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid
due to the specialization, which admittedly doesn't kick in until lv 80 I think?,

due to the specialization, which admittedly doesn't kick in until lv 80 I think?,

LvL 50 that is.

Since your twinking your best bet is to get the lvl 60 mail legs "Scale Leggings of the Skirmisher" from the first boss of "Ramps" and give em 3 20 agi gems. your ap will be through the roof. I have "Helm of the First Shaman" with those which i use ontop of the black dragonscale 4 piece for my lvl 61 hunter and believe me, Your shots will be going through brick walls. Leather, heirloom or not is worthless with cata twinking.
Edited by Sarumoss on 6/26/2012 8:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
I used the leather gear for my ally hunter alt (had it left over from lvling druid). It worked perfectly fine, dps was very competitive as sv (tons of agi). Sure it isn't ideal, but who is min/maxing lvling anyway lol. It won't gimp you at all.
Reply Quote
76 Night Elf Hunter
06/26/2012 08:06 AMPosted by Lamour
I used the leather gear for my ally hunter alt (had it left over from lvling druid). It worked perfectly fine, dps was very competitive as sv (tons of agi). Sure it isn't ideal, but who is min/maxing lvling anyway lol. It won't gimp you at all.

Sry I posted on my druid

When your twinking your not looking to be competitave your looking to be dominant. When your competing against toons in full fieldmarshal/Gladiator, even in dungeons your dps is gonna be a laughing joke. Besides, if you lvl'd your alts back in wrath think again becaue cata is allot different. 5% agi loss means 5% more agi you have to enchant/gem just to make up for the average gear lvl. its worth loosing that 5-10 stam and maby 3-7 points in agi on that leather items your rocking and gem slots expand the life of items well beyond their usefulness. Im tellin yah, even if its questing greens, You want that mail, so long as it got agi and not strenght/intellect on it.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
06/26/2012 09:21 AMPosted by Gondrihas
When your twinking your not looking to be competitave your looking to be dominant.

I didn't notice him mention twinking his hunter, though if that's the case I agree with you. It is just very time consuming to assemble an heirloom set from scratch these days, so the leather heirlooms are fine for simply lvling just to get the exp bonus.
Edited by Lamour on 6/26/2012 9:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]