Mists of Pandaria and...it's point?

Pandaren make me angry. They were an april fools joke for crying out loud!

...and because people liked them, they made it into WC3.
...they almost made it into TBC as the Alliance race.
...they have constantly been the most requested race to add to the game.
90 Orc Hunter
They've "rediscovered" an ancient land and people and it tells the story of how this affects the war between the Horde and Alliance. What's to understand? Seems like better fantasy literature than anything that came before.
Edited by Grapthar on 6/27/2012 11:25 AM PDT
90 Undead Rogue
I just don't understand how that made sense in any of the story...

Have you had any creative writing experience?

Are you familiar with the term "foreshadowing"?

A major part of the WoW experience is the telling of a long, large-scale story.

There may not be any current "justification" for the Pandaren... rather Blizz may be setting up something in the future and felt that now was a good time to put them in to help lay the foundation for that future story.
Monks

THAT'S the point of MoP and the reason I'm hooked back in the game while testing the beta.
23 Tauren Hunter
06/27/2012 10:29 AMPosted by Drid
My personal opinion is that they look too childish.
The "over-cuteness" of the Pandaren race is probably meant in part to compensate for the unfortunate ugly from the addition of goblins (sorry, no offense. lol)
63 Blood Elf Hunter
I don't know. I heard something about like shin or whatever, negative energy that is gaining power in Pandaria... but I just hope this will reintroduce a lot of basic WoW things. Discovery, and PvP that isn't rogues ganking... Also, any ideas how the cities will work? I have a suspicion it'll be like Horde Pandas go Org, and Alliance Pandas go to SW.
85 Tauren Paladin
The point of Pandaria is to conclude the Horde-Alliance war and get a lot of things answered. Those "April fools Joke" pandas (Which actually originated before the joke) and their land are what fuel the fires of war. There is no Burning Legion, no Scourge, no Black Wyrm to fear. Just the Horde and Alliance. The Mogu and Zandalari Trolls also make an appearance as enemies but aren't the main focus.

The point is to re-open the market in China.

QFT.

Why would Chinese players care about this?
Edited by Spacemuffin on 6/28/2012 2:49 PM PDT
Community Manager
06/27/2012 09:55 AMPosted by Rainydays
I'm not trying to rant so don't take this as a hate thread, but I need a question answered...what's the point of pandaria? The rest of the expansions made sense whether you liked them or not...started in vanilla it was after WC3 if you played that...then the dark portal opened so we had to go back there to fight them...then the scourge became an even bigger issue so we fought them in lich king, all of these tied together with the original stories from warcraft. Even cataclysm, even though it's not my favorite kind of makes sense in a way story wise...but then pandaria, I just don't understand how that made sense in any of the story when their main goal was to be an april fools joke not a piece of lore...anyone care to enlighten me?

Mists of Pandaria is sort of getting back to what we did in the original release of World of Warcraft. If you recall (if you were here then), there was no ultimate unified story of "here is the bad guy/gal go kill them". It was more focused on the conflict between the Horde and the Alliance with some additional Azerothian dangers mixed in.

With Mists of Pandaria, we've really wanted to add it in for awhile because the idea of the pandaren evolved over time and became something more. (At one point it was considered for Burning Crusade.)

So, that said, in the expansion, we're sort of going back to our roots of adventure, exploration, and that ongoing conflict between the Horde and the Alliance. Thus, the point of it all. You'll get to explore Pandaria, meet the pandaren and the denizens of that area of the world, and will be embroiled in the not so happy history between the Horde and Alliance.
90 Dwarf Hunter
Rainy, I suppose that early on in Warcraft, it had to create new lore and try new things. Take the Lich King/reanimation ideas. They were not an immediate and original part of lore. Northrend happened reasonably late in the piece...

But Wrath made sense because the lore had been established prior to WoW.

The Emerald Dream, a rumoured topic of expansion for a while (and still possibly a future theme of an expansion - whether the main theme or just a sub-theme), didn't exist for a long time either.

At some point, they have to create new lore. It's an important part of the game and it's ongoing existence. They need new characters, new conflicts, the start of new overarching stories, or else the game gets stale.

The hope with MoP is that is starts a whole new story arc and set of lore. Every now and again they need to do it. I hope its not the last completely new lore WoW sees, but my guess is that it won't be. After all, the need to continually add more and more land means... the WoW community don't have a lot of already established land not yet in the game to go to (Kul Tiras, Undermine... anything else?)

EDIT: Damn, totally got beaten to the punch by Neth.
Edited by Goldenaxe on 6/28/2012 3:00 PM PDT
90 Worgen Death Knight
Well I do love exploration and adventure.
85 Dwarf Warrior
06/28/2012 02:55 PMPosted by Nethaera
I'm not trying to rant so don't take this as a hate thread, but I need a question answered...what's the point of pandaria? The rest of the expansions made sense whether you liked them or not...started in vanilla it was after WC3 if you played that...then the dark portal opened so we had to go back there to fight them...then the scourge became an even bigger issue so we fought them in lich king, all of these tied together with the original stories from warcraft. Even cataclysm, even though it's not my favorite kind of makes sense in a way story wise...but then pandaria, I just don't understand how that made sense in any of the story when their main goal was to be an april fools joke not a piece of lore...anyone care to enlighten me?

Mists of Pandaria is sort of getting back to what we did in the original release of World of Warcraft. If you recall (if you were here then), there was no ultimate unified story of "here is the bad guy/gal go kill them". It was more focused on the conflict between the Horde and the Alliance with some additional Azerothian dangers mixed in.

With Mists of Pandaria, we've really wanted to add it in for awhile because the idea of the pandaren evolved over time and became something more. (At one point it was considered for Burning Crusade.)

So, that said, in the expansion, we're sort of going back to our roots of adventure, exploration, and that ongoing conflict between the Horde and the Alliance. Thus, the point of it all. You'll get to explore Pandaria, meet the pandaren and the denizens of that area of the world, and will be embroiled in the not so happy history between the Horde and Alliance.

And I'll be there on the front lines against the Horde... Hopefully with some new Panda brethren behind me :D
Community Manager
06/28/2012 02:58 PMPosted by Morgam

Who doesn't? ;)
90 Troll Shaman
06/28/2012 02:59 PMPosted by Nethaera

Who doesn't? ;)

Hobbits.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]