Mists of Pandaria and...it's point?

85 Night Elf Druid
Drow.

Drow generally would rather just raid a pillage the lesser races.
Community Manager
It's my own fault for asking isn't it? ;)
90 Human Paladin
One thing I'd like to touch on that I see lots of people mention is the lack of lore that supports Mists of Pandaria. When I see questions like "where does this fit in with the original Warcraft story?" and similar questions, I can't help but wonder where people think the lore came from for the original Warcraft. It was made up. Parts are based upon races and stories from other stories, but the overall WARCRAFT lore was created by someone.

There's so many people that seem too stuck on thinking that there can be no new lore for World of Warcraft. I don't understand the thinking for this. Here we have an entire continent that has been shrouded from the rest of Azeroth for such a long time. With comes entirely new lore. Completely new stories, characters, adventures in the World of Warcraft.

To me that's pretty exciting. The story for World of Warcraft shouldn't be some static unchanging snapshot in time. It's an ever evolving, fluid story. Time has proven that a story doesn't always need one central villain, especially when you consider that World of Warcraft isn't one single story. It's MANY stories, for tons of different characters.

I'm going to use a few science fiction television shows just as an example of what I am talking about. Look at Star Trek for instance. There was never one central overall antagonist. Instead, there were several. If you look at the whole of Star Trek over time, you'll find some major antagonists such as the Borg, but the shows weren't based around those at all. Some episodes were indeed focused on them, but they weren't a defining aspect of the various shows. Stargate could also fall into this as well. Vanilla WoW fits this.

On the flip side, you have something like Battlestar Galactica. It's very clear from the start exactly who/what the central antagonist is. Oh sure, some episodes focus on other aspects, but the driving force behind the conflict is the Cylons. The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, and Cataclysm all fall more along these lines, where each one has a central focal point that defines the struggles.

The examples I gave all crossover. These aren't hard lines that divide them. I merely use them as examples.

If you look at the whole of Warcraft, there isn't one central enemy. Really, the only thing that holds true throughout is that the Alliance and the Horde don't really get along. If not in all out war, they are at least on very poor terms. Mists of Pandaria is focusing on that. It's also a new land, with new peoples, new conflicts, and yes, new lore. There's nothing scary about adding new lore to a story as large as this one. It's all part of the adventure of discovering something that hasn't been seen before.
Edited by Bravehearth on 6/28/2012 3:58 PM PDT
90 Troll Warrior
Mists of Pandaria is sort of getting back to what we did in the original release of World of Warcraft. If you recall (if you were here then), there was no ultimate unified story of "here is the bad guy/gal go kill them". It was more focused on the conflict between the Horde and the Alliance with some additional Azerothian dangers mixed in.

With Mists of Pandaria, we've really wanted to add it in for awhile because the idea of the pandaren evolved over time and became something more. (At one point it was considered for Burning Crusade.)

So, that said, in the expansion, we're sort of going back to our roots of adventure, exploration, and that ongoing conflict between the Horde and the Alliance. Thus, the point of it all. You'll get to explore Pandaria, meet the pandaren and the denizens of that area of the world, and will be embroiled in the not so happy history between the Horde and Alliance.

I am a player from vanilla. i have played on and off for many years (mostly on). I have also played through the first 2 zones of MOP in beta and the first 2 dungeons.

Mop in no way shape or form reflects the feeling or tone of the original warcraft, in my unbiased humble opinion. The content is no way near as dark in nature and the majority of content I tested was light hearted and whymiscal (its fine in small doses but two zones full???). It genuinely felt like the heart and soul of warcraft had been ripped out.
Now granted the first quest hub of MOP was really great and interesting with establishing a horde base but the feeling of being horde/alliance and sense of growing conflict is quickly ditched in favor of running around chasing panda's.

It probably kicks back on in later levels but I personally could not stomach pushing through all the fatty bloat content to get to the meaty content.
The way i see this expansion is just a horde and alliance fight. i may be switching back to pvp aswell cause pve is time consuming, though i am happy about the LFR so this way if i ever come up with pve gear and i want to raid, that is a last minute option to see the content.
90 Human Rogue
As a lore fan, the lack of a focused plot is by far my biggest concern about MoP. I really didn't enjoy the rambling style of vanilla and BC. However, the plans I've heard Metzen say he has for it give me some hope, and I won't start flipping tables until I've actually played it.
Community Manager
There will be lore. Oh yes, there will be.
90 Human Paladin
The way I see it, the whole Point to MoP is this:

The original Good Guys of Azeroth wake up and realize that the Horde (esp. the orcs) simply does not belong in Azeroth, and assist them in their re-location.

It looks like we're back to the good, ole Warcraft 2 days; we're going to see a lot more War in this World of Warcraft.

I'm just hoping the Alliance can recapture some of that Epicness that Lothar, Turalyon and those other Heroes brought to Warcraft 2 for the Alliance
85 Troll Hunter
06/28/2012 04:18 PMPosted by Arthmage

And my amazing transmog, don't you like it?

/attentioncraved
90 Undead Warlock
If only we were so open to adventure in the other parts of our lives - imagine what we'd find!
90 Troll Warrior
The original Good Guys of Azeroth wake up and realize that the Horde (esp. the orcs) simply does not belong in Azeroth, and assist them in their re-location.

It looks like we're back to the good, ole Warcraft 2 days; we're going to see a lot more War in this World of Warcraft.

Its not war in the traditional Warcraft style though, its like Saturday morning cartoon war with (spoiler alert) "bunny rabbit dungeons" and "varmints stealing our vegetables".

Not an undead legion raining from the sky while orcs and humans fight on an abandoned field, not a fallen prince strutting into a throne room and brutally "succeeding" his father.
90 Undead Priest
06/28/2012 04:15 PMPosted by Nethaera

I believe it when I see it.

How about those awful overdone pop culture references cataclysm was littered with (Rambo, Indiana Jones, Starship Troopers to name a few)? Can we expect that the developers go back to subtlety a bit more? Not saying that they should disappear but it would be nice to be surprised again instead of going into a zone and wondering "Oh hey, let's see what kind of pop culture reference they put into this zone now... oh they turned the silithids into enormous starship trooper bugs, hooray :(."
90 Troll Warrior
@Tenegraeus: I don't mind pop culture references when they are just that, throw away references, for example "Harrison Jones", is a running when he pops up ONCE per expansion. If I saw an entire Harrison Jones zone or expansion I would probably cringe a little.
90 Undead Rogue
06/28/2012 04:46 PMPosted by Therealgor
If I saw an entire Harrison Jones zone or expansion I would probably cringe a little.

Did you even go to Uldum?
1 Human Rogue
06/28/2012 04:39 PMPosted by Tenebraeus

I believe it when I see it.

How about those awful overdone pop culture references cataclysm was littered with (Rambo, Indiana Jones, Starship Troopers to name a few)? Can we expect that the developers go back to subtlety a bit more? Not saying that they should disappear but it would be nice to be surprised again instead of going into a zone and wondering "Oh hey, let's see what kind of pop culture reference they put into this zone now... oh they turned the silithids into enormous starship trooper bugs, hooray :(."

This was one of my frustrations with Cataclysm as well. Pop culture references and humor have always been a part of WoW, but Cataclysm took it overboard. It went from a few funny easter eggs here and there to a complete lack of creativity by using pop culture icons and simply building WoW storylines out of them. Please Blizzard, i implore you, more subtlety with the pop culture.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]