Mists of Pandaria and...it's point?

85 Undead Warlock
If you don't mind me pointing this out Neth, having an expansion based upon the war of the two factions while simultaneously introducing a neutral race that can choose sides is rather.. contradictory?
85 Worgen Warrior
06/28/2012 06:27 PMPosted by Elunih
If you don't mind me pointing this out Neth, having an expansion based upon the war of the two factions while simultaneously introducing a neutral race that can choose sides is rather.. contradictory?

Not at all, they are neutral at the start since they don't know either side but ultimately they do have to go one way or another making the true neutrality impossible.
90 Tauren Paladin
06/27/2012 10:04 AMPosted by Rainydays
Not a troll post, i've been playing warcraft since around 1998 and I just never followed their lore...I was just curious, not trying to troll =/

so that is why you are under the false impression that panda's were an April fools joke... pandas were introduced at the end of WC3 they have a lot of lore, and are not in actuality an april fols joke.
100 Troll Warrior
06/28/2012 06:31 PMPosted by Karthius
Not at all, they are neutral at the start since they don't know either side but ultimately they do have to go one way or another making the true neutrality impossible.

I think the point was if you are focusing on the Alliance/Horde conflict why are you bringing in a new fluffy race to detract from that conflict? It seems contradictory to introduce all this new fluff without letting people explore and find out more about the core warcraft things they do care about.

"Its about horde/alliance" but here is an entire zone full of pandas, here is one with mogu, here are other <insert random content> that have nothing to do with the horde or the alliance for you to explore and quest through (maybe we will have a very flimsy loose tie in at the end or maybe they are a pop culture throw away gag).

Cant we follow up on the story hooks we care about without being suffocated by filler content to stall us? Where is saurfang? What is rexxar doing in outland? What is Thralls role and what is the future of the horde, how are the undead and trolls getting on with being ostracized from central horde leadership? What about the long lost northrend races, the tuskaar and taunaka how do they fit into the horde? What is going on up in northrend since LKs collapse?

Forget all that here are some pandas lolz.
90 Human Paladin
Short version: to bring the "war" back into Warcraft, to kinda go back to the pvp roots of the game.

Shorter version: Money.
85 Dwarf Shaman
06/28/2012 04:15 PMPosted by Nethaera
There will be lore. Oh yes, there will be.

Schawing!
100 Troll Warrior
06/28/2012 06:47 PMPosted by Kraevyn
pandas were introduced at the end of WC3 they have a lot of lore, and are not in actuality an april fols joke.

Um but they were used as an April fools joke? This creates the perception they do not fit within the world of warcraft experience and as confirmed by the development team they tried to implement them at various times but ultimately decided they did not fit in wow.

Now they are dedicating an entire expansion to them.. really? Material that was cut read was not worthy of inclusion in any prior expansion due to how out of place it felt in the world of warcraft, was eventually used as a gag to self-mock warcraft, now has an entire expansion?
Edited by Therealgor on 6/28/2012 7:12 PM PDT
85 Gnome Warrior
I still think the Pandaren look better then the ugly !@# squid face Draenei.

Of course people forget that Pandaren actually have roots in Warcraft lore.

Childish? What's more childish then playing a video game? Get over it. The fact anyone is actually getting upset or angry over it is more childish and foolish then anything Blizzard has EVER done.
97 Blood Elf Paladin
06/27/2012 09:55 AMPosted by Rainydays
I'm not trying to rant so don't take this as a hate thread, but I need a question answered...what's the point of pandaria? The rest of the expansions made sense whether you liked them or not...started in vanilla it was after WC3 if you played that...then the dark portal opened so we had to go back there to fight them...then the scourge became an even bigger issue so we fought them in lich king, all of these tied together with the original stories from warcraft. Even cataclysm, even though it's not my favorite kind of makes sense in a way story wise...but then pandaria, I just don't understand how that made sense in any of the story when their main goal was to be an april fools joke not a piece of lore...anyone care to enlighten me?

Really, you can apply the 'what's the point' to all of them. Why did the portal open? Why did Arthas suddenly wake up? Why didn't we do this sooner? Etc.

Pandas were never just an April Fools joke. In fact, them being the next expansion is quite logical, because we're actually running out of lore to directly tackle and resolve. It's basically Pandas and Titans...
100 Troll Warrior
06/28/2012 07:27 PMPosted by Eralen
we're actually running out of lore to directly tackle and resolve
The only limitation on lore is the imagination of blizzard and feasibility of what they can implement.

I guess in the current climate you are right we are running out of lore.
90 Human Warlock
It's been awhile, but if I recall Chen Stormstout was introduced at the very end of WC3, and you played with him and Thrall, through Durotar? It was like 1 or few missions to help him get Orgrimmar going? And I want to say it actually changed how you played abit, sorta of a preview of the playstyle coming in wow. Don't quote me on any of that been a long time.

I don't remember much about a whole continent of pandas at that time, though I have read a lot of the lore over the years through the novels and graphic stuff, comics what not, and you did hear and learn about pandas there.

I've enjoyed the lore so far that i've got to experience on the beta, though it does seem abit forced. By that I mean, it almost seems like the devs knew peeps don't know anything about this, so lets put all sorts of monuments all of the continent for them to read up on this lore. And I'm not saying that having new lore is bad, if the game is to continue it has to happen at some point. And there I think is the issue that alot of the playerbase that have played 7 yrs but haven't really kept up on outside game lore, books and such, are having with the game.

There are massive lore figures that we've known about "in game", fought their subordinants, or puppets they controlled. Anyone who fought deathwing and killed him could tell you that "hey there's something more sinister here".

And that's what I think alot of the players we're looking for in the next expac put out, somehow after all these years players would put an end to either the old gods corruption, deal with Azshara sitting on the bottom of the ocean, what the heck did happen to Neptulon?
Or my personal favorite, take the fight to Sargeras. I always figure at that point we might stop by Xoroth and there might be flying dread steeds there.

Mop looks great and it will be alot of fun, when it comes to the gameplay of wow, they know what they're doing it'll be pretty fun, if you've found the game fun the last 7 yrs. And I haven't read all those monuments yet, and don't know how this expac will end, maybe the floor will break open and there's an old god sitting under pandaria.

Looked it up, wasn't Thrall was Rexxar that Chen helped.
Edited by Brugavino on 6/28/2012 8:40 PM PDT
85 Night Elf Druid
06/28/2012 07:09 PMPosted by Therealgor
Um but they were used as an April fools joke?

They were only considered an April Fool's joke for a year at most. With the release of The Frozen Throne expansion they became lore. /shrug
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]