Mists of Pandaria and...it's point?

06/28/2012 02:58 PMPosted by Morgam
Well I do love exploration and adventure.

Me too. Problem is they still haven't sold me on the Pandaren. I'm still not convinced it's not some babyish cartoon act.

Granted I haven't played one yet, but still, just from the looks of it I'm not really a fan. I could quite possibly call it quits if I'm not super-uber impressed by what I see when I get into Mists.

And inb4 "Yeah well they have cow-men and werewolves, what's wrong with pandas?" I don't like the pandas. I like the cow-men (although not really), and the werewolves.
85 Undead Warlock
06/28/2012 06:31 PMPosted by Karthius
Not at all, they are neutral at the start since they don't know either side but ultimately they do have to go one way or another making the true neutrality impossible.

And fighting your brother to the death is totally possible?

Orcs, Blood Elves, Undead, Tauren, Trolls and Goblins vrs. Humans, Worgen, Night Elves, Dwarves, Draenei, and Gnomes

All of them have a separation of race and long histories of hatred fueling their fight, when you get to panderia though it's like

"You two brothers with differing philosophical views, kill each other!"
90 Gnome Rogue
I think it's gonna be cool.
100 Human Paladin
06/28/2012 08:04 PMPosted by Trinea
Well I do love exploration and adventure.

Me too. Problem is they still haven't sold me on the Pandaren. I'm still not convinced it's not some babyish cartoon act.

Granted I haven't played one yet, but still, just from the looks of it I'm not really a fan. I could quite possibly call it quits if I'm not super-uber impressed by what I see when I get into Mists.

And inb4 "Yeah well they have cow-men and werewolves, what's wrong with pandas?" I don't like the pandas. I like the cow-men (although not really), and the werewolves.

Just cause you don't like pandas doesn't mean they are for kids. Thanks. If you think wolf men and cow men are not kiddy then thats your opinion but I don't find martial art bruce lee panda men very kiddish especially when they can probably rip your throat out of your neck if you piss them off.
90 Troll Warrior

And this is what really disappoints me, blizz calculate that you will go and "have a look". I was lucky enough to go have a look in beta, it is babyish cartoony pandaland for the first two zones (minus first quest hub). They talk about the "growing conflict of horde/alliance" which is probably true within the context of this baby cartoonish island. There is no dark nature anywhere, the dungeons are inhabited by ninja rabbits for gods sake.

Remember Ragnaros the firelord and his minions in BRD, the other elemental lords and how they were banished from our plane of existence to wage a never ending war in another dimension... yeah well get this we get beer elementals now.

In the words of sgt Murtaugh I'm getting too old for this ... you get my drift.
90 Troll Warrior
06/28/2012 08:37 PMPosted by Fawnix
I don't find martial art bruce lee panda men very kiddish especially when they can probably rip your throat out of your neck if you piss them off.

Uh.. Bruce Lee was a finely tuned machine of fury. Panda's are fat, beer drinking oafs who have been designed as such for comedic effect. There is no inclusion or even allusion of what it is to be a kungfu master, it is westernized slapstick comedy and a derogatory depiction of eastern culture. So yeah it is kiddish.

I want rumble in the bronx style Jackie Chan not Tuxedo/shanghai noon Jackie Chan.
67 Blood Elf Death Knight
Im just sick of people saying that they are copying the panda idea from the Kung Fu Panda movies, wich is ridiculous! the pandaren have been in since warcraft beginings. I think that blizzard should make this aware to the public in a little subtle way. does anyone agree?
90 Human Warlock

And this is what really disappoints me, blizz calculate that you will go and "have a look". I was lucky enough to go have a look in beta, it is babyish cartoony pandaland for the first two zones (minus first quest hub). They talk about the "growing conflict of horde/alliance" which is probably true within the context of this baby cartoonish island. There is no dark nature anywhere, the dungeons are inhabited by ninja rabbits for gods sake.

Remember Ragnaros the firelord and his minions in BRD, the other elemental lords and how they were banished from our plane of existence to wage a never ending war in another dimension... yeah well get this we get beer elementals now.

There are areas farther along in the questing that do get very "dark". It's not called the "Dread" wastes for nothing. Though I wouldn't argue that some of the panda storyline is abit silly, but sometimes some light heartedness isn't so bad.

What I will agree with and am actually quite shocked about is that after that very first quest hub, and an isolated incident in another zone, I haven't seen one bit of some massive horde against alliance war going on. Perhaps that hasn't been implemented yet or I somehow missed huge quest hubs, but from what I saw to see that horde vs ally war, well, queue up.
Edited by Brugavino on 6/28/2012 8:49 PM PDT
90 Troll Warrior

There are areas farther along in the questing that do get very "dark". It's not called the "Dread" wastes for nothing. Though I wouldn't argue that some of the panda storyline is abit silly, but sometimes some light heartedness isn't so bad.

What I will agree with and am actually quite shocked about is that after that very first quest hub, and an isolated incident in another zone, I haven't seen one bit of some massive horde against alliance war going on. Perhaps that hasn't been implemented yet or I somehow missed huge quest hubs, but from what I saw to see that horde vs ally war, well, queue up.

Exactly right I spent 2 zones trying to pick up the narrative of that first bass trying to find out what we were going to do... it amounted to nothing but panda panda panda panda, I figured ok on live I would just grind a couple of levels in dungeons but hey guess what they are kiddy themed too.
100 Human Paladin
06/28/2012 04:06 PMPosted by Therealgor
in my unbiased humble opinion.

Blatant oxymoron is blatant.

“One can only give an unbiased opinion about things that do not interest one, which is no doubt the reason an unbiased opinion is always valueless. The man who sees both sides of a question is a man who sees absolutely nothing.” -- Oscar Wilde
90 Troll Warrior
Blatant oxymoron is blatant.

“One can only give an unbiased opinion about things that do not interest one, which is no doubt the reason an unbiased opinion is always valueless. The man who sees both sides of a question is a man who sees absolutely nothing.” -- Oscar Wilde

I don't care what you say my opinion is humble.

Funny you should mention unbiased opinion requiring no interest.... I have no interest in MOP. Being duped on the other hand, I take issue with that.
90 Orc Warrior
LFM

Granted, Arthas was a pretty good villain in War 3 and WotLK, but imo, Warcraft 3s attempt to make the Horde look better than they are was a mistake. Truely compelling storylines have always been told in terms of black and white, not this post-modernist gray that has infected warcraft lore.

And, hey, there are some that really do like being the Bad Guy.

I hope this gets rectified in MoP; I want to see the final cut scene showing the Alliance supervising Thrall and his minions marching back to Outland thru the Dark Portal

Even in Orcs and Humans, there was some indication that not all humans were noble. This was made clear in Tides of Darkness, with the betrayal of Alterac. It was much less clear that Orcs in particular were anything but evil. However, it is made clear in the introductory notes that Gul'Dan was a nastier piece of work than Orgrim Doomhammer. In Beyond the Dark Portal we see that Nehr'zul is also pretty horrible, but that there is something to respect in Kilrogg Deadeye.

Frankly, if it was not for Warcraft 3, I would not have rolled Horde. I found Thrall inspirational at the time. In fact, I still do. With Garrosh, I have a much tougher time although even he on occasion earns my respect.

The idea of redemption is present even in such classic good versus evil epics like Lord of the Rings. Think for example the attempts to redeem Gollum, Saruman, or in earlier times Sauron. Think about what happens in The Hobbit between Bilbo and the Dwarves or the tale of Turin Turambar from The Silmarillion.

To take another example, consider Star Wars. In the original movie, it's pretty clear cut but in The Empire Strikes Back, although it's still good versus evil, we learn that Anakin switched sides and there is a hint that he might be able to switch back.
90 Troll Warrior
@Mikdra how can you talk about redemption from lotr and starwars and not mention Boromir and Lando?
90 Orc Warrior
LFM
06/28/2012 09:21 PMPosted by Therealgor
@Mikdra how can you talk about redemption from lotr and starwars and not mention Boromir and Lando?

Two reasons: oversight and not wishing to ram the point home more than I already had. You are right: those are excellent examples.
85 Orc Rogue
Everytime my panda kills an ally panda, I will make a sad emote for my fallen brother.
85 Orc Shaman
Pandas really should be on ally... Give the horde Naga and stop being lazy only making 1 new class for an xpac...
90 Orc Warrior
LFM
Not at all, they are neutral at the start since they don't know either side but ultimately they do have to go one way or another making the true neutrality impossible.

And fighting your brother to the death is totally possible?

Orcs, Blood Elves, Undead, Tauren, Trolls and Goblins vrs. Humans, Worgen, Night Elves, Dwarves, Draenei, and Gnomes

All of them have a separation of race and long histories of hatred fueling their fight, when you get to panderia though it's like

"You two brothers with differing philosophical views, kill each other!"

This toon has killed other Orcs, notably in Blackrock and Hellfire. My troll alt has killed trolls in the Hinterlands. My Forsaken Death Knight has killed scourge. My blood elf has killed the wretched. My goblin will likely be my first toon to go to war with the Steamwheedle Cartel. When I roll a Tauren, he or she will fight the Grimtotem.

My human will likely kill members of the Defias. If I roll a dwarf, he or she will kill Dark Irons. You get the idea...
Edited by Mikdra on 6/28/2012 9:36 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Death Knight

/attentioncraved

I totally have a better transmog than everyone and I totally deserve the attention.

Hey, I noticed you have that new transmog! It's totally the coolest thing in 5 minutes!
06/28/2012 08:42 PMPosted by Tromitus
Im just sick of people saying that they are copying the panda idea from the Kung Fu Panda movies, wich is ridiculous! the pandaren have been in since warcraft beginings. I think that blizzard should make this aware to the public in a little subtle way. does anyone agree?

The idea that became Kung-Fu Panda was actually copyrighted in 2000 by a cartoonist in Boston.

Pandaren didn't show up in Warcraft until Warcraft 3 in 2002.

Not saying they were ripped off, but I am saying that the argument that Pandaren existed before Kung-Fu Panda is false.
Edited by Trinea on 6/28/2012 9:48 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]