Why do people hate Macs?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Not trying to start some flame war, just curious as to why people hate them?

I had a MacBook (2008 Version) for the longest time without any problems until now, it freezes up a lot and I was basically told that it was time to upgrade. I recently upgraded to a 2012 MacBook Pro 15'inch - without retina display. Runs wow & Diablo flawlessly, and its extremely fast.

They're great computers, they're fast and reliable, so why do people hate them?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Because the "I'm a PC" commercials cemented a smug, hipster image. As naming their tech support "geniuses" has also done.

The proprietary issues continue to be an issue with Apple. Sure there are work-arounds and cracks, but in general Apple has very much about making sure their customers don't have many means of upgrading their system without paying them to do so.

The one button mouse and general incompatibility with many games have also likely been sore points that people are not likely to forget anytime soon.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Because the "I'm a PC" commercials cemented a smug, hipster image. As naming their tech support "geniuses" has also done.

The proprietary issues continue to be an issue with Apple. Sure there are work-arounds and cracks, but in general Apple has very much about making sure their customers don't have many means of upgrading their system without paying them to do so.

The one button mouse and general incompatibility with many games have also likely been sore points that people are not likely to forget anytime soon.

Also, the whole "cult of apple" mentality tends to turn people off of Macs.

That and the price... and the UI.

Don't get me wrong, they are good quality products, just expensive.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Also the claim that they dont get viruses.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I wouldn't say I hate macs, but here is why I dislike them:

1) Overpriced. You can usually buy a system with the same specs for $500+ less. You are paying mainly for a brand name.

2) Compatibility. Obviously you can't run Windows apps, and as a developer that does a lot of work with .NET it just isn't an option for me unless I want to virtualize. Games are also very rare to support Mac OS.

3) Lack of upgradability. The latest macbook model is 100% non-upgradeable. You can't put in more RAM and you can't upgrade the HD because it is all soldered in. This also means that the HD and RAM can't be replaced upon failure meaning you 100% have to rely on Apple's warranty service.

4) There is nothing that can be done on a mac that can't be done just as easily on a Windows OS.

(And I do own an iPhone and an iPad, btw, so please don't call me an Apple hater. I just assess a product by it's values mainly, and you can easily buy an XPS or Alienware system from Dell with an equal or at least very close warranty service.)
Edited by Ariandraa on 7/1/2012 7:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid
06/30/2012 12:35 PMPosted by Snozberries
The one button mouse

That's not fair. All new mouses can have as many buttons as you want. The old ones can right-click without using the Control key.
Edited by Saelaylris on 7/1/2012 9:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
07/01/2012 01:30 PMPosted by Saelaylris
The one button mouse

That's not fair. All new mouses can have as many buttons as you want. The old ones can right-click with using the Control key.

"Fair" doesn't really factor in to things that have built up a certain image over time.
Reply Quote
This thread about sums everything up for me :)
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid
07/01/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Snozberries
"Fair" doesn't really factor in to things that have built up a certain image over time.

This is a valid point, but the fact that you say that Apple Mouses cannot right-click shows that your post is hearsay. Also, you insinuate that the majority of computer users are gamers.
Edited by Saelaylris on 7/1/2012 10:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
07/01/2012 10:36 PMPosted by Saelaylris

This is a valid point, but the fact that you say that Apple Mouses cannot right-click shows that your post is hearsay. Also, you insinuate that the majority of computer users are gamers.

The last time I remember using a Mac the mouse had one button. If you can alternate click, great! I still remember how unwieldy it was trying to basically relearn how to use a computer for an art course. The crossover in general tends to be a stumbling block when a majority of computer users start with some variation of PC.

Where did I insinuate that the majority of computer users are gamers?

Listing game compatibility as a possible sore point does not in any way insinuate the portion of the populous it represents.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
You can set the mouse to be two or one button clicking. Personally, I like the OS quite a bit better. Granted some probably hate, but it is their choice. As well, the price is a bit higher so I guess that is another thing people hate on Apple for.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid
07/02/2012 09:25 AMPosted by Snozberries
Listing game compatibility as a possible sore point does not in any way insinuate the portion of the populous it represents.

You failed to explicitly mention the big problem with Mac OS X (and as a long-time Mac user myself I can attest to this) - that it's incompatible with some commonly used software. Since you said that it is generally incompatible with games, you insinuate that that's a problem a majority of users might have an issue with.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

You failed to explicitly mention the big problem with Mac OS X (and as a long-time Mac user myself I can attest to this) - that it's incompatible with some commonly used software. Since you said that it is generally incompatible with games, you insinuate that that's a problem a majority of users might have an issue with.

You're looking for me to make a claim I never made. What I posted is not meant to be comprehensive, it's nothing more than a few reasons off the top of my head.

But yes, the general compatibility issues with non-Mac specific software is a big turnoff.
Edited by Snozberries on 7/3/2012 5:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
58 Blood Elf Priest
You pay more for a similar product. It's like buying a shirt from that cool shop near the beach for 70 dollars instead of exactly the same shirt from the discount shop in the middle of town. Exactly the same shirt, but you think you belong by buying it from the trendy store.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
07/06/2012 12:45 PMPosted by Antitheist
You pay more for a similar product. It's like buying a shirt from that cool shop near the beach for 70 dollars instead of exactly the same shirt from the discount shop in the middle of town. Exactly the same shirt, but you think you belong by buying it from the trendy store.

I can't totally buy this, though I think it's the most common reason people give. It may be true in some cases, but it's far too easy of an explanation. It completely dismisses why Macs became trendy in the first place.

I think price and compatibility are fair drawbacks. The price gap seems to be closing a bit when compared with a similarly equipped Dell XPS. Keep in mind the software that comes installed with OSX isn't completely worthless either, but I would still say you're paying a premium for the Apple brand for sure. And it does drive me nuts how I still can't use Microsoft Project in OSX, although installing Windows on a mac completely solves this, if you have a spare key.

Personally, I don't mind paying the premium for something like a MacBook Pro - at least not anymore. The graphics are becoming much more solid and I enjoy OSX a lot. In a world where I'm the only person, I still think for everyday use I'd prefer a MacBook Pro or maybe even an Air for business/travel. But you can be sure I still run a desktop PC for gaming.
Edited by Kritanu on 7/6/2012 6:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
who wants their entire computer in a screen? or their !@#$ty looking keyboards :D

i like my big-a$$ tower.
Edited by Thünder on 7/7/2012 9:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
I actually used to sale PC's in a store that was situated next to a visual arts school in my area.

I developed a hatred for Mac users, not mac's them self.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/11/apple-accused-fixing-prices-ebooks

This is why I dislike Apple. Well, there are other reasons as well: obsolescence by design being a big one. But collusion and conspiracy has such a wonderful, criminal ring about it, doesn't it?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Because I don't like spending a lot more for a computer with identical specs. I own a Macbook purely for Protools usage but it was substantially more expensive ($550 roughly) than a PC of identical specs.

Many PCs also tend to be easier to upgrade. Apple has really gone on this kick of "send your computer to us with payment so we can upgrade it!" when I've gotten quite accustomed to just cracking my shell and doing the work myself.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
1. They're too expensive. Some people seem to be confused on this matter because there are plenty of affordable Macs out there. See, finding one that you can afford isn't the problem. The problem is that you can find a PC that can do everything that that Mac can do for far cheaper.

2. Lack of customization. You can't really change the parts if you simply want an upgrade or a part breaks. And even if you can you have to go through Apple. However, in most cases, if you want an upgrade or a part of your computer breaks you just have to get a new Mac. Albeit, Mac's tend to break a lot less than PC's.

3. The community that buys Macs. They're arrogant, self-righteous, consider themselves to be enlightened and artistic as well as superior to everyone else simply for getting a Mac. They buy macs because they look good and they don't want to be burdened with actually understanding how a computer works. These are the kind of people who don't install virus software on their PC's and then complain that PC's are riddled with viruses. Macs appeal to girls, people who don't understand computers, college students majoring in art, rich people, and hipsters. Just look at their one-button mouse. It's like they're saying that the two-button mouse wasn't simple enough so they made it even simpler! A monkey could operate a two button mouse. A monkey.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]