Tirion Fordring needs to die.

95 Draenei Paladin
There's a post on cyberbullying that the OP should probably read into.
Reply Quote
92 Goblin Warlock
07/02/2012 10:58 PMPosted by Sholaad
There's a post on cyberbullying that the OP should probably read into.

I don't think you know what cyber bullying is.

Unless you're referring to how I want Tirion Fordring to die, in which case I am very much a cyber bully.
Edited by Aerstole on 7/2/2012 11:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Velen needs to do something. :(
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
07/02/2012 11:19 PMPosted by Sharkhan
Velen needs to do something. :(

Leader story suggests he will be. He's had a lot on his mind lately!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
I talked about retiring in my previous post. You can refer to it in your response.

Mostly, age doesn't seem to have a big impact on characters in WoW. Velen is older than dirt, (almost literally), but he's still leading. Saurfang is grey, but he's still in action. He's maybe around 60? He's a paladin. He hasn't aged much since Northrend. You can't pull the age card, because there are plenty of healthy older men and women active in WoW and RL. It's not impossible to swing a sword at his age.

You're looking at this from the point of view that all heroes need to remain heroes until they're struck down in battle or die of old age. What you're NOT looking at is the residual cost of war, the homes and lands that have been torn apart by the conflicts, and that are in need of rebuilding. Historically, when a soldier became too old to fight on a daily basis, they would often be put in charge of rebuilding, because they had the respect of those that were doing the work, the authority to command a group of labourers, and the experience to determine a good course of action for the rebuilding project.

I fully realize that this is both fantasy, and that there are other characters who are still able to "swing a sword", however, there are also cultural and longevity differences. In the case of Velen, it has been factually stated that he is immortal, so age would likely not hinder him in any major way. After all, by the time he reached Azeroth, he was well over 25,000. And Blizzard has implied that other draenei are at least extremely long-lived, if not immortal themselves.

In the case of the orcs, it is culturally shameful for them to not fight when called upon, and to die in battle is considered the highest of honours. Also, orcs are battle hardened from a far younger age than humans generally are, paladin or no. Tirion's real battle training wouldn't likely have started until he was in his mid-20s, where orcish warriors begin training often before they're even in double digits, with games and activities designed to teach skills they'll need once they begin learning combat a little later.

Look at what Tirion had been through from the beginning of his story until his "retirement" to rebuild Hearthglen. He was exiled, watched his son die, fought a devastating war in Northrend against a man who would have been his king, and ended up being the bearer of the Ashbringer in the process. Yes, other soldiers fought alongside him, and honestly, most of them are probably off taking a breather as well. There's no sign that Tirion's retirement is going to be permanent, but at the very least, he needs a bit of time away from the front lines in order to gather his thoughts on everything he'd witnessed so that he will remain a USEFUL champion.

The real life correlation to this is military service. Generally, soldiers in the U.S. are given leave one every year, once every two years (supposedly) guaranteed in the case of harder conflicts. The reason for this isn't because they're giving up the fight, it's so they don't crack up from the pressure of being in such a high-stress situation for long periods of time. Tirion's just now getting a breather after a war that lasted at least that long in chronological time.

Personally, I find returning home to rebuild the ruins into something meaningful again to be just as heroic as "swinging a sword". Possibly even more so, as it gives younger generations a place to grow into heroes themselves, continuing from where Tirion will eventually have to leave things be.

07/02/2012 07:14 PMPosted by Aerstole
Now explain to me why he retired. Explain to me why he thought it would be okay to just quit when the world needed him most. Why would the hero of the Argent Crusade retire? Thrall was torn into four pieces and spread across Azeroth, but he's still saving the world. Alexstrasza was imprisoned and used to give birth to war dragons, but she's still saving the world. Malfurion was asleep for how many centuries? He's still saving the world. What gives Tirion the right to just quit?

The biggest reason that Tirion needs to at least take a break is that he is NOT the leader of the humans. Varian Wrynn needs to step up and become a true leader, instead of letting his soldiers do all the work for him, and if that can't be, then his son needs to. As great as Tirion is as a person, he's not the humans' king, and he can never BE their king, so he can't be their great hero forever, nor should he be.
Edited by Silverskye on 7/4/2012 12:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Jirargh, go eat some shrooms or something.
Everyone else, nicely written. I really enjoyed the Tirion quests, except not being able to save his kid but Bliz had that plot to enrage Dad and etc etc. One of my girls gets to retire with the exceptional ol' guy.
It'd be good to at least have him make an appearance now and then.
He deserves to "live" after all, he is perhaps the most open minded of characters, to earn both ally and horde respect for the most part.
Great character.
By the way, read "Blood and Honor."
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Everyone else, nicely written. I really enjoyed the Tirion quests, except not being able to save his kid but Bliz had that plot to enrage Dad and etc etc. One of my girls gets to retire with the exceptional ol' guy.
He deserves to "live" after all, he is perhaps the most open minded of characters, to earn both ally and horde respect for the most part.
Great character.

Dark
dark necromancy
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Great character.

Somebody engages in thread necromancy and the first line of it is written to insult me. Is there an achievement for this?

Honestly I didn't even remember what I'd written, so I had to go back and look. And having looked, I still have no idea what the necromancer is on about.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Great character.

Somebody engages in thread necromancy and the first line of it is written to insult me. Is there an achievement for this?

Honestly I didn't even remember what I'd written, so I had to go back and look. And having looked, I still have no idea what the necromancer is on about.

Clearly they were inviting you out to lunch.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Well let's hope this wasn't a drive-by on the part of -

...I don't like saying necromancer, but the poster isn't the OP. Necromantic OP? NOP? NOPE? Yes, that works.

Anyway, let's hope the NOPE comes back to clarify. Her braid looks soft and pretty and I would like to touch it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Only eat the shrooms if she's buying.
Reply Quote
92 Goblin Warlock
I remember this. Reminds me I should probably whip up another one.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Who cares
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I still like this thread.
Reply Quote
07/02/2012 10:55 AMPosted by Blackpoole
Garrosh likely won't be killed, but he will definitely not be Warchief by the time his "raid" comes up.

Looking at his current attitude, and how he acted in Tides of War, I'd say it's more likely that he'll have to be killed. The picture Blizzard has painted of the Warchief this expansion is that he would sooner die than give up his position of Warchief.

07/02/2012 11:16 AMPosted by Blackpoole
Thrall seldom has the courage to actually kill his brethren,

Who says he's going to be the one doing the killing? I could see either Baine or Vol'jin dealing the killing blow without hesitation.

07/02/2012 10:55 AMPosted by Blackpoole
Sylvanas won't be dying anytime soon because she's one of the most popular Warcraft characters out there

Just because a character is popular and loved doesn't mean they won't get axed. Take a look at Game of Thrones sometime and see how many popular, loved characters get put on the chopping block there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]